PDA

View Full Version : TGI Friday's sued for $5 million over 'fraudulent' potato skins

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 10:39 AM
By Andrew Denney | New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/Gl1WCYfh.jpg

A snacking stickler is suing TGI Fridays, claiming the restaurant chain’s potato skin snacks — bags of which are sold in stores and vending machines across the country — aren’t actually potato skins at all. Just a mishmash of “potato flakes” or “potato starch.”

Solange Troncoso of the Bronx brought the Manhattan federal court suit, stating she purchased a bag of TGI Fridays Sour Cream and Onion Potato Skins from a Bronx bodega for $1.99, but claims that she wouldn’t have done so had she known the product didn’t contain real potato skins.

“The presence of potato skins imparts a further value in the eyes of reasonable consumers,” the complaint states.

https://i.imgur.com/XkbhlNjl.jpg

Troncoso alleges that the company is trying to cash in on the fact that most snackers see potato skins, which TGI Fridays offers as an appetizer in its eateries, as a nutritious option compared with standard convenience-store fare.

In the complaint Troncoso asserts, “The Idaho Potato Commission and others inside and outside the industry have associated potato skins with healthy eating since they started appearing on restaurant menus a half-century ago.”

Under federal law, the suit states, a food is deemed misbranded if it is an imitation of another food but does not contain a label stating that it isn’t real.

“What you’re eating is a very processed product,” said C.K. Lee, an attorney representing Troncoso who has attracted headlines — or ire, in the case of some businesses — for lawsuits over disabled access to Web sites and misleading food packaging.

The private equity firm Sentinel Capital Partners became majority owner of the Carrollton, Texas-based restaurant company in 2014.

TGI Fridays did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Muddy
04-01-2019, 02:57 PM
I agree.. Stop misrepresenting your product.

Griffin
04-01-2019, 04:18 PM
I agree.. Stop misrepresenting your product.

https://i1.wp.com/www.independentsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/aoc6.jpg?resize=696%2C579

Muddy
04-01-2019, 04:27 PM
https://i1.wp.com/www.independentsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/aoc6.jpg?resize=696%2C579

Does that picture mean you think they should not have to provide the product that is presented on the bag?

Griffin
04-01-2019, 04:43 PM
She misrepresents herself and should not be involved in making policy for the rest of the nation.

As far as the frivolous suit it plainly says "snack chip" on the bag and they are onion and sour cream flavored. Lawsuits like this should not be allowed to tie up our court systems. Besides that, TGIF doesn't even make them. UTES foods are the ones mimicking the flavor.

Muddy
04-01-2019, 05:16 PM
She misrepresents herself and should not be involved in making policy for the rest of the nation.

As far as the frivolous suit it plainly says "snack chip" on the bag and they are onion and sour cream flavored. Lawsuits like this should not be allowed to tie up our court systems. Besides that, TGIF doesn't even make them. UTES foods are the ones mimicking the flavor.

I disagree. It says Fridays on the bag. It also says potato skins on the bag.. it has very small "snack chips" on the bag.. Why would a potato skin not be a snack chip? There needs to be potato skins in the bag. You shouldn't have to research the product to see what is in the bag.. Label the product correctly. Whats the big deal unless you are trying to mislead the consumer? Now get out her with your ol' AOC bullsheet.

fricnjay
04-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Yea you do kinda need a damn microscope to see the "Snack Chip" part on the bad. :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 05:49 PM
I disagree. It says Fridays on the bag. It also says potato skins on the bag.. it has very small "snack chips" on the bag.. Why would a potato skin not be a snack chip? There needs to be potato skins in the bag. You shouldn't have to research the product to see what is in the bag.. Label the product correctly. Whats the big deal unless you are trying to mislead the consumer? Now get out her with your ol' AOC bullsheet.

(A) If people bought these and truly and actually thought they were buying potato skins, I feel very sorry for them. And (B) on the ingredients label it says it contains potato flakes and also potato starch. To even have a remote shot at winning this idiotic lawsuit, this asshat would need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that neither one of those ingredients come from the skins of potatoes. Good luck with that. Case dismissed because the suit is without merit.

Muddy
04-01-2019, 06:33 PM
(A) If people bought these and truly and actually thought they were buying potato skins, I feel very sorry for them. And (B) on the ingredients label it says it contains potato flakes and also potato starch. To even have a remote shot at winning this idiotic lawsuit, this asshat would need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that neither one of those ingredients come from the skins of potatoes. Good luck with that. Case dismissed because the suit is without merit.

I disagree with you as well.

The bag says POTATO SKINS in large letters on the front. No one one should have to do anymore research than to read the front of the bag. No one needs to research the ingredient list of what goes into a chip or crisp.. I think your statement needs to have a (C) added.. (C) 'Does not contain potato skins'. (even though its written clearly in large letters on the front of our stupid bag of processed potato flake trash, why is it on there? Because we know you wont study the god damn bag and will buy it thinking there are potato skins in the bag because its written on the bag in 1 inch tall letters)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 06:41 PM
I disagree with you as well.

The bag says POTATO SKINS in large letters on the front. No one one should have to do anymore research than to read the front of the bag. No one needs to research the ingredient list of what goes into a chip or crisp.. I think your statement needs to have a (C) added.. (C) 'Does not contain potato skins'. (even though its written clearly in large letters on the front of our stupid bag of processed potato flake trash, why is it on there? Because we know you wont study the god damn bag and will buy it thinking there are potato skins in the bag because its written on the bag in 1 inch tall letters)

Not the company's fault that someone is too lazy to take 5 seconds and turn the bag over an look at the ingredients. And like I said, if ANY of those potato flakes or potato starch comes from the skin of a potato, she loses.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Plus the words "SNACK CHIPS" is plenty big enough. If people have a reading disability or choose not to read the whole thing, that's not the company's fault either.

Muddy
04-01-2019, 06:54 PM
We will just have to see what the judge thinks. I'm for truth in product labeling myself.

Pony
04-01-2019, 07:35 PM
I was always under the impression that they were chips that are supposed to taste like "Fridays Loaded Potato Skins". Not actually be potato skins.

Muddy
04-01-2019, 07:58 PM
I was always under the impression that they were chips that are supposed to taste like "Fridays Loaded Potato Skins". Not actually be potato skins.

I don't see why they couldn't just put in the bag what they wrote on the front of the bag in huge letters.. It's not like its a huge stretch.. Its supposed to be a potato skin... A quick glance to me would have led me to think they are potato skins. Whats the big deal? Its not a bag of gold... Pringles cant get away with mislabeling... Why should these guys?

Hal-9000
04-01-2019, 08:08 PM
I need to find something like this and complain for money. Agreeing with Muddy there's a reason Cheez Whiz can't call itself cheese.

No skins man? you lied.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 08:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CtEm6rb.jpg

I'm gonna stop in on my way home. If it's not Friday and I have to go to work tomorrow, then I'm suing.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2019, 08:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1RGR09j.jpg

Muddy
04-01-2019, 08:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CtEm6rb.jpg

I'm gonna stop in on my way home. If it's not Friday and I have to go to work tomorrow, then I'm suing.

I wonder if you look on their menu does it say "Potato crisps" on it and they bring you out some potato skins..? Or maybe they put an asterisk on the menu directing you the back page where explain through a legal disclaimer what you will really be getting this go around?