PDA

View Full Version : ‘Equal Pay Day’ this year is April 2 — the next ‘Equal Occupational Fatality Day’ is on May 3, 2030

RBP
04-03-2019, 03:22 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/64e92p.png

Every year the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) publicizes “Equal Pay Day” to bring public attention to the gender earnings gap. According to the NCPE, “Equal Pay Day” falls this year on Tuesday, April 2 based on an approximate 20% difference in unadjusted, raw median annual earnings according to either Census Bureau or BLS data, and therefore allegedly represents how far into 2019 women will have to continue working to earn the same income that the men earned in 2018, supposedly for doing the same job. Inspired by Equal Pay Day, I introduced “Equal Occupational Fatality Day” in 2010 to bring public attention to the huge gender disparity in work-related deaths every year in the United States. “Equal Occupational Fatality Day” tells us how many years and days into the future women will be able to continue to work before they will experience the same number of occupational fatalities that occurred for men in the previous year.

Last December, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released final data on workplace fatalities in 2017, and a new “Equal Occupational Fatality Day” can now be calculated. As in previous years, the graphic above shows the significant gender disparity in workplace fatalities in 2017: 4,761 men died on the job (92.5% of the total) compared to only 386 women (7.5% of the total). The “gender occupational fatality gap” in 2017 was again considerable — more than 12 men died on the job for every woman who died while working.

Based on the BLS data for 2017 for workplace fatalities by gender (and assuming those figures will be approximately the same in 2018), the next “Equal Occupational Fatality Day” will occur more than 11 years from now **– on May 30, 2030. That date symbolizes how far into the future women will be able to continue working before they experience the same loss of life that men experienced in 2018 from work-related deaths. Because women tend to work in safer occupations than men on average, they have the advantage of being able to work for more than years longer than men before they experience the same number of male occupational fatalities in a single year.

Economic theory tells us that the “gender occupational fatality gap” explains part of the “gender earnings gap” because a disproportionate number of men work in higher-risk, but higher-paid occupations like commercial fishing (99.9% male), logging (98% male), roofers (99.4% male), truck drivers (93.8%) and electric power line workers (99.4% male); see BLS data here. The table above shows that for the 10 most dangerous US occupations based on fatality rates per 100,000 workers by industry and occupation in 2017 men represented more than 90% of the workers in 8 of those 10 occupations and more than 88% of the workers in 9 of the 10 occupations.

On the other hand, women far outnumber men in relatively low-risk industries, sometimes with lower pay to partially compensate for the safer, more comfortable indoor office environments in occupations like office and administrative support (71.6% female), education, training, and library occupations (73.2% female), and healthcare (75.0% female). The higher concentrations of men in riskier occupations with greater occurrences of workplace injuries and fatalities suggest that more men than women are willing to expose themselves to work-related injury or death in exchange for higher wages. In contrast, women, more than men, prefer lower risk occupations with greater workplace safety and are frequently willing to accept lower wages for the reduced probability of work-related injury or death. The reality is that men and women demonstrate clear gender differences when they voluntarily select the careers, occupations, and industries that suit them best, and those voluntary choices contribute to differences in pay that have nothing to do with gender discrimination.

Bottom Line: Groups like the NCPE use “Equal Pay Day” to promote a goal of perfect gender pay equity, probably not realizing that they are simultaneously advocating a significant increase in the number of women working in higher-paying, but higher-risk occupations like logging, roofing, construction, farming, and coal mining. The reality is that a reduction in the gender pay gap would come at a huge cost: several thousand more women will be killed each year working in dangerous occupations.

Further, the proponents of “Equal Pay Day” are promoting a statistical falsehood by suggesting that women working side-by-side with men in the same occupation for the same company are making something like 20% less than their male counterparts, which causes them to have to work an additional 60 days (and more than three months) to achieve “equal pay.” The NCPE’s statement that “because women earn less, on average, than men, they must work [20%] longer for the same amount of pay,” implies that gender wage discrimination is behind the gender pay gap. Of course, that would imply that some corrective action by government is necessary to address the gender pay gap, even though most studies find that there is no gender earnings gap after factors like hours worked, child-birth and child care, career interruptions, and individual choices about industry and occupation are considered. For example, a 2009 study by the Department of Labor concluded:

This study leads to the unambiguous conclusion that the differences in the compensation of men and women are the result of a multitude of factors and that the raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action. Indeed, there may be nothing to correct. The differences in raw wages may be almost entirely the result of the individual choices being made by both male and female workers.

Conclusion: I hereby suggest, that after adjusting for all factors that contribute to gender differences, Equal Pay/Earnings Day actually fell on about January 1 this year. Or maybe the first or second week of January…. but NOT the first week of April. Women should be embarrassed by the statistical falsehood that is annually promoted by NCPE’s Equal Pay Day that suggests that gender discrimination in the labor market burdens them with more than three months of additional work to earn the same as their male counterparts in the previous year – when that’s not even remotely true.

Finally, here’s a question I pose for the NCPE every year: Closing the “gender earnings gap” can really only be achieved by closing the “occupational fatality gap.” Would achieving the goal of perfect pay equity really be worth the loss of life for thousands of additional women each year who would die in work-related accidents?

Related: Here’s a quote from Camile Paglia in 2013 writing in TIME (“It’s a Man’s World and It Always Will Be“) about men’s important, but mostly underappreciated role in the labor market and the importance of their willingness to do the dangerous work that makes us all better off:

Indeed, men are absolutely indispensable right now, invisible as it is to most feminists, who seem blind to the infrastructure that makes their own work lives possible. It is overwhelmingly men who do the dirty, dangerous work of building roads, pouring concrete, laying bricks, tarring roofs, hanging electric wires, excavating natural gas and sewage lines, cutting and clearing trees, and bulldozing the landscape for housing developments. It is men who heft and weld the giant steel beams that frame our office buildings, and it is men who do the hair-raising work of insetting and sealing the finely tempered plate-glass windows of skyscrapers 50 stories tall.

Every day along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, one can watch the passage of vast oil tankers and towering cargo ships arriving from all over the world. These stately colossi are loaded, steered and off-loaded by men. The modern economy, with its vast production and distribution network, is a male epic, in which women have found a productive role — but women were not its author. Surely, modern women are strong enough now to give credit where credit is due!

Related: “The ’77 Cents on the Dollar’ Myth About Women’s Pay,” my Wall Street Journal op-ed with Andrew Biggs in 2014:

While the BLS reports that full-time female workers earned 81% of full-time males, that is very different than saying that women earned 81% of what men earned for doing the same jobs, while working the same hours, with the same level of risk, with the same educational background and the same years of continuous, uninterrupted work experience, and assuming no gender differences in family roles like child care. In a more comprehensive study that controlled for most of these relevant variables simultaneously—such as that from economists June and Dave O’Neill for the American Enterprise Institute in 2012—nearly all of the 23% raw gender pay gap cited by Mr. Obama can be attributed to factors other than discrimination. The O’Neills conclude that, “labor market discrimination is unlikely to account for more than 5% but may not be present at all.”

These gender-disparity claims are also economically illogical. If women were paid 77 cents on the dollar, a profit-oriented firm could dramatically cut labor costs by replacing male employees with females. Progressives assume that businesses nickel-and-dime suppliers, customers, consultants, anyone with whom they come into contact—yet ignore a great opportunity to reduce wages costs by 23%. They don’t ignore the opportunity because it doesn’t exist. Women are not in fact paid 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men.

and “Equal Pay Day Commemorates a Mythical Gender Pay Gap” my Real Clear Markets op-ed with Andrew Biggs in 2017:

Proponents of the gender pay gap myth would have you believe that any difference in earnings between men and women is the result of gender pay discrimination. The reality is that men and women are different – they gravitate to different college majors, they have different levels of work experiences, they play different family roles, and they often work in very different types of jobs. It would be inexplicable to imagine that despite those many differences men and women would earn precisely the same amounts. It would also be completely unrealistic to suggest that the 20% difference in annual earnings is exclusively or even largely the result of gender discrimination. But to celebrate Equal Pay Day, those are some of the statistical fairy tales that you have to accept.

https://www.aei.org/publication/equal-pay-day-this-year-is-april-2-the-next-equal-occupational-fatality-day-is-on-may-3-2030/

RBP
04-03-2019, 04:38 AM
What prompted me to post this was an email intended for my wife. :lol:

Thank you - grassroots supporters like you have helped us start the year strong.

Thank you for standing with me to prove that we have the momentum and enthusiasm to keep me serving you in Congress. It means so much to have you on our team.

Today is also Equal Pay Day -- the day that symbolizes how far back women would have to work to earn what men earned in the previous year. Even in 2019, women still earn a fraction of what their male coworkers make for the same job. In my congressional district in the Chicago suburbs, women earn about 83 cents to every dollar a man makes. The numbers get smaller when it comes to women of color. African-American women have to wait until August for their Equal Pay Day, and Latina women have to wait until nearly November.

Across the country, 42% of working women are the breadwinners for their family. That means the lack of equal pay affects entire families. This does not help America grow or prosper, especially in working class families. It's clear to me that when women succeed, America succeeds. It's past time that all women, regardless of race, earned not just an equal wage but a fair wage for their hard work.

Even before I was elected to Congress, I have always been an advocate for equal pay for equal work, and I'll continue to use my platform in Washington to bring equality for all in this country. Last week, House Democrats were able to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act, and I was proud to vote on a bill that takes a step towards closing the wage gap. But our work isn't done.

Let's keep the pressure on the U.S. Senate to vote on this important legislation that will help millions of women and their families.

My reply

You intended this email for a different person, I am not [name]. But you must realize this is complete crap. There is no logical or factual basis for the equal pay day. I certainly hope that a member of congress is not actually this dumb. I'll assume you are pandering to a base that you think IS that dumb. That is actually worse. Pandering to people you think are too stupid and ignorant to realize you are peddling in complete and utter tripe.

Maybe the public is as stupid as you need them to be to get re-elected. I don't think so. Or so blinded by hatred for the President. That might be possible. I have no idea. But please stop peddling mythology that only serves to drives wedges. In the end, we all lose.

Aggregate gross earnings by sex is not, and never will be, the same as equal pay for equal work. But you already knew that. Just stop.

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Did they respond to you?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Which senator sent that e-mail out?

RBP
04-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Did they respond to you?

Not yet. I don't expect they will.

Which senator sent that e-mail out?

Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-IL 8th District

https://rajaforcongress.com/

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Are there any white people in Chicago anymore?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2019, 12:02 PM

https://i.imgur.com/1eEQhO5.jpg

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2019, 12:05 PM
:nono:

It's a valid question.

Griffin
04-03-2019, 12:05 PM

They're only out at 2:00 in the morning hanging around sandwich shops.

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Carrying bleach and nooses, I bet.

RBP
04-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Have you seen the new Mayor? A black gay female anti-cop former prosecutor with no previous elected position is now the mayor of the 3rd largest city in America.

They out-woked the west coast.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2019, 12:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/F7TfoHk.png

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2019, 01:38 PM
35-44 has nice legs

Hal-9000
04-03-2019, 02:26 PM

They're only out at 2:00 in the morning hanging around sandwich shops.

:rimshot: