PDA

View Full Version : Thank you anti-vaxxers: Booming measles cases rocket toward record, up nearly 100 from last week

Teh One Who Knocks
04-09-2019, 11:04 AM
John Bacon, USA TODAY

https://i.imgur.com/mVL2xEQ.jpg

The number of measles cases recorded across the USA rose by almost 100 last week as the annual total continued its march toward record levels, federal health officials reported Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 465 cases have been confirmed in 19 states in 2019, the second-highest total since measles was declared eliminated in the USA almost two decades ago.

The numbers are up sharply from just a week ago, when the total number of cases stood at 387 in 15 states. There were 372 cases last year; the highest total since 2000 was 667 in 2014.

The surge has been fueled in part by the anti-vaccination movement – most people who contract measles have not been vaccinated, the CDC said. If one person has the disease, up to 90% of the people close to that person will become infected if they are not immune, the CDC warned.

Ogbonnaya Omenka, an assistant professor at Butler University who has a doctorate in public health, said the increase is alarming but won't necessarily continue. Public health professionals work behind the scenes to tackle these issues, he said.

"The numbers serve as a kick in the butt that says, hey, we probably should start paying attention to vaccination again," he told USA TODAY. "One of the most challenging aspects of public health is balancing between individual liberty, for people who don't want the vaccine for whatever reason, and what is best for everyone."

Most of the U.S. cases this year involve 17 outbreaks – defined as three or more localized cases – including some underway in New York, New Jersey, Washington, California and Michigan, the CDC said. The outbreaks are linked to travelers who brought measles back from countries including Israel, Ukraine and the Philippines, the CDC said.

Three outbreaks in New York state, New York City and New Jersey contributed to most of the cases. They occurred primarily among unvaccinated people in Orthodox Jewish communities, the CDC said. New York legislators proposed a bill that would end religious and all other nonmedical exemptions to vaccinations for school-age children.

"The religious communities that I've spoken to in no way prevent people from getting vaccinated," New York state Sen. David Carlucci said. "This (bill) would take any of that misconception out of the puzzle."

https://i.imgur.com/TQzDqfU.png

Similar legislation has been proposed in New Jersey. Only California, Mississippi and West Virginia have such laws.

There is some pushback. Lawyer Patricia Finn represents clients who have been injured by childhood vaccines. She specializes in cases involving religious and medical exemptions to vaccinations.

"The pharmaceutical companies are dominating the media," Finn said. "They're scaring people."

Common measles symptoms include fever, runny nose, cough and a rash that can spread across the entire body. A very small number of those infected can develop pneumonia, swelling of the brain or other serious symptoms. Measles can cause pregnant women to deliver prematurely.

In Sacramento, California, a medical center sent about 200 patients letters last month saying they might have been exposed to measles after a girl who visited the emergency department was diagnosed with the infection.

The World Health Organization described the disease as a prominent cause of death among young children, despite the availability of an effective vaccine. More than 110,000 people, mostly children, died of measles worldwide in 2017.

The last U.S. measles death on record was in 2015.

RBP
04-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Am I being paranoid when I read that the outbreaks were caused by travelers, but no disease outbreaks are ever reported as coming from untreated migrants from South American shitholes? Just seems odd.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Am I being paranoid when I read that the outbreaks were caused by travelers, but no disease outbreaks are ever reported as coming from untreated migrants from South American shitholes? Just seems odd.

There's all kinds of outbreaks being reported from the illegals trying to get in, those stories just aren't reported, especially by the MSM.

Hal-9000
04-09-2019, 04:13 PM
I like what we're doing up here. Just flat out not letting unvaccinated people into schools and work areas that have been affected by new disease outbreaks.

Hal-9000
04-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Mayor of NYC just made vaccinations mandatory.

Well, it's not law but they will fine you 1000 dollars if you refuse...

RBP
04-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Mayor of NYC just made vaccinations mandatory.

Well, it's not law but they will fine you 1000 dollars if you refuse...

I'll be interested in this legal challenge.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2019, 04:43 PM
I'd like to hear the anti-vaxxers explain how all these diseases are suddenly making a comeback now that there is a sizable enough people refusing to vaccinate their kids when back when nearly everyone was vaccinated, these diseases were all extremely rare and limited to 3rd world types of countries.

Hal-9000
04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
We have a line we can call to allegedly find our vaccination history. In the same breath they say everything pre-1980's is a crap shoot. We could have had one, but not the follow up and there won't be records for it.

I vaguely recall having the measles and certainly remember getting Chicken Pox because I had a brutal version of it that left scars.

The real shitty part is some of these diseases don't present right away and you're left with having a slight fever, headaches, loss of appetite etc. Dammit that's a pretty normal week for me :|

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2019, 04:51 PM
We have a line we can call to allegedly find our vaccination history. In the same breath they say everything pre-1980's is a crap shoot. We could have had one, but not the follow up and there won't be records for it.

I vaguely recall having the measles and certainly remember getting Chicken Pox because I had a brutal version of it that left scars.

The real shitty part is some of these diseases don't present right away and you're left with having a slight fever, headaches, loss of appetite etc. Dammit that's a pretty normal week for me :|

I know I had all the vaccinations when I was a kid (except chicken pox because there wasn't one at the time) but that was so long ago that I'm actually tempted to go get re-vaccinated because of all this shit popping back up again.

Hal-9000
04-10-2019, 05:10 PM
I know I had all the vaccinations when I was a kid (except chicken pox because there wasn't one at the time) but that was so long ago that I'm actually tempted to go get re-vaccinated because of all this shit popping back up again.

Yeah man up here flu shots are free and they have them at supermarkets, doctor's offices, malls.

I think they should just make a super vaccine and handle it the same way.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Yeah man up here flu shots are free and they have them at supermarkets, doctor's offices, malls.

I think they should just make a super vaccine and handle it the same way.

Flu shots are covered by my insurance so they don't cost me anything either. I get one every year.

DemonGeminiX
04-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Recently, I had the flu shot and a pneumonia shot. Apparently pneumonia has gotten stronger and it'll fuck you up if you have a weaker immune system.

Here's the adult schedule per the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html

DemonGeminiX
04-10-2019, 05:21 PM
:-k

I should probably ask for the TD booster the next time I see my doctor. I don't know about the MMR.

Hal-9000
04-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Recently, I had the flu shot and a pneumonia shot. Apparently pneumonia has gotten stronger and it'll fuck you up if you have a weaker immune system.

Here's the adult schedule per the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html

I've had a pneumonia shot after contracting pneumonia twice within 90 days in 2005.

Was forced to go back to work after two weeks off when the doctor wanted me to take six weeks, and then got double pneumonia the second time around.

I remember laying on the couch and being so weak that when the phone rang, I couldn't get up to answer it. Then I got a weird feeling for the first time - If the house started on fire there was no way I could get my parents or myself out in that condition. It was humbling.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2019, 05:26 PM
I had walking pneumonia once and then it was followed up by a case of the boogie woogie flu :(

:coat:

Hal-9000
04-10-2019, 05:29 PM
I had walking pneumonia once and then it was followed up by a case of the boogie woogie flu :(

:coat:

:|

If you got a fevah...there's only one cure:

:dance: https://i.imgur.com/fhoduPw.gif :dance:

DemonGeminiX
04-10-2019, 05:42 PM
If you guys have any female friends (or disabled friends that have to catherize to urinate) that suffer from recurrent E. Coli based urinary tract infections, there is a vaccine for that in Phase 2 clinical trials. It may be 2 or 3 years before it's commercially available, but it's coming.