PDA

View Full Version : American flag graphic on police cars divides California town

Teh One Who Knocks
04-16-2019, 11:13 AM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/QgHnRxa.jpg

LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. — An American flag graphic on the side of freshly painted police cars is dividing a small coastal city in Southern California.

Some people in Laguna Beach feel the flag design is too aggressive, while others are astonished that anyone would object to the American flag, The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

The city council will decide at its Tuesday meeting whether to keep the logo or choose an alternative.

Artist Carrie Woodburn said at a March council meeting that it was “shocking to see the boldness of the design” when the newly painted Ford Explorers rolled out.

“We have such an amazing community of artists here, and I thought the aesthetic didn’t really represent our community,” Woodburn said. “It feels very aggressive.”

But attorney Jennifer Welsh Zeiter said she found the police cars “exceptional” and questioned the loyalty of anyone who objected to the American flag display.

Critics are so blinded by their hatred of President Donald Trump, she said, “that they cannot see through their current biases to realize that a police vehicle with the American flag is the ultimate American expression.”

The city council agreed in February to repaint its all-white squad cars in black and white with the stars and stripes running through the word “police” on the doors. The police department has 11 squad cars.

The proposed graphic the council unanimously approved in February was a more muted version of the design that now appears on the cars.

Laguna Beach has about 23,000 people and is 55 miles south of Los Angeles.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-16-2019, 11:13 AM
“We have such an amazing community of artists here, and I thought the aesthetic didn’t really represent our community,” Woodburn said. “It feels very aggressive.”

:-s

:suicide:

Goofy
04-16-2019, 11:55 AM
:-s

:suicide:
Im offended by your use of the suicide smiley [-(

Hal-9000
04-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Looks good and lets us crime doers know who the police are :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Looks good and lets us crime doers know who the police are :thumbsup:

:beatdown: It's :beatdown: too :beatdown: aggressive! :beatdown:

Hal-9000
04-16-2019, 03:23 PM
:beatdown: It's :beatdown: too :beatdown: aggressive! :beatdown:

They like it when you touch the shotgun :)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 10:24 AM
By Bradford Betz | Fox News

A Southern California coastal city voted Tuesday to keep the American flag on its police cars despite some residents’ objections that it might offend immigrants.

The Laguna Beach City Council voted Tuesday night to retain a new logo for its 11 police vehicles that uses stars and stripes running through the word "police" on the doors.

Some in the small community thought the flashy red, white and blue decal was too aggressive and flashy while others were surprised that anyone would object to the American flag. The council considered whether to keep the design or choose another.
In a crowded council chamber on Tuesday, virtually everyone in the room raised their hand when asked if they supported the design, video shows. When a lonely hand dissented, the crowd could be heard chuckling.

Before the meeting, Mayor Pro Tem Steve Dicterow told the Los Angeles Times the council was simply facing "a very narrow decision" about the brightness of the colors, but that the issue had devolved into a broader national conversation about patriotism.

He said he has received hundreds of emails from people around the country, mostly in support of keeping the flag designs on the car.

"Clearly, the way it looks on the car is not what anyone expected it to look like," Dicterow said. "I think it's reasonable that we're going to look at it again so that whatever we (approve) is exactly what we put on the car."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 10:28 AM
A Southern California coastal city voted Tuesday to keep the American flag on its police cars despite some residents’ objections that it might offend immigrants.

You know what? As long as you do it legally, I am happy that you've decided to choose the United States as the country you want to move to and maybe even become a citizen of because I think we have a pretty damn good thing going here despite all our faults. I wouldn't trade being an American for anything. But, if you are going to come here and if the flag of my country offends you (among other things that you may find 'offensive')? Then you can get right the fuck out and go back to where you came from. Fuck you if you find our flag or our customs or anything else offensive. You chose to come here, we didn't ask or force you. What's offensive is immigrating to a foreign country, legally OR illegally, and whining about everything. If you don't like it, pack your ass up and crawl back to wherever you came from because we don't fucking want you here.

/rant

Pony
04-17-2019, 10:38 AM
:hitler:

Hal-9000
04-17-2019, 03:48 PM
You know what? As long as you do it legally, I am happy that you've decided to choose the United States as the country you want to move to and maybe even become a citizen of because I think we have a pretty damn good thing going here despite all our faults. I wouldn't trade being an American for anything. But, if you are going to come here and if the flag of my country offends you (among other things that you may find 'offensive')? Then you can get right the fuck out and go back to where you came from. Fuck you if you find our flag or our customs or anything else offensive. You chose to come here, we didn't ask or force you. What's offensive is immigrating to a foreign country, legally OR illegally, and whining about everything. If you don't like it, pack your ass up and crawl back to wherever you came from because we don't fucking want you here.

/rant

The ICE vehicles should have a flag that covers both sides and the hood :thumbsup: