PDA

View Full Version : FBI seeking woman infatuated with Columbine, armed and dangerous, connected to school threats

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 10:14 AM
by Eric Ruble - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/CxHmEtah.jpg

DENVER -- The FBI's Denver office and local law enforcement are searching for a woman who allegedly made threats against schools in the Denver metro area Tuesday.

According to the FBI, Sol Pais is infatuated with the Columbine massacre and purchased a gun in the Denver area.

At a press conference held at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at FBI Denver headquarters, authorities revealed new details about the search.

According to Dean Phillips, the special-agent-in-charge of the FBI in Denver, the Miami FBI office alerted the Denver office about the threat of Pais.

Phillips said Pais flew to Denver Monday night. She then bought a pump-action shotgun and ammunition in the Denver area and went to the foothills of Jefferson County.

Those actions promoted the FBI to consider Pais a credible threat.

Phillips said the FBI is working with law enforcement throughout the metro area and that they are tracking a significant number of leads.

"This has become a massive manhunt," said Phillips.

Pais is considered armed and extremely dangerous.

Voter records show Pais is from Surfside, Florida in the Miami area.

Authorities described Pais as a white female who is 18 years old. She is about 5 feet 5 inches tall. She was last seen wearing a black T-shirt, camouflage pants and black boots.

Anyone who sees Pais or knows where she might be is asked to contact the FBI tipline: 303-630-6227. Tips can also be sent to: DenverFBITips@fbi.gov.

Officials urged the public not to approach Pais.

About 2:45 p.m. Tuesday, the Colorado Department of Education recommended all Denver-area schools conduct a lockout and controlled release of students due to the threats.

Authorities did not speak about the specifics of Pais' threats.
As of 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, all major districts in the Denver area had canceled classes for Wednesday.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 10:16 AM
by Eric Ruble - FOX 31 Denver

DENVER — Most major school districts in metro Denver have canceled classes Wednesday amid what the FBI called a credible threat to schools in the area.

Districts and schools that have canceled classes are listed below. It will be updated as more are added.

Academy of Charter Schools
Adams 12 (Five Star)
Adams 14
Aurora Public Schools
Boulder Valley School District
Brighton 27J
Cherry Creek School District
Christ the King School PK-8
Clear Creek School District
Denver Public Schools
Denver Cooperative Preschool
Douglas County School District
Englewood School Districts
Graland Country Day School
Greeley-Evans School District 6
Holy Trinity Catholic School of Westminster
Humanex Academy
Jefferson County
KingsWay Christian Academy
Littleton Public Schools
Mapleton Adams County District 1
Notre Dame Catholic Parish and School
Sheridan School District
St. Mary’s of Littleton
St. Vrain Valley Schools
Thompson School District
Vanguard Classical School
Weld RE-8
Westminster Public Schools

In a letter from DPS, district spokesperson Will Jones said superintendents from across the metro area discussed the threat and collectively decided to cancel classes Wednesday.

“The decision was based on information provided by law enforcement and analysis provided by threat assessment experts. Based on the fact that the FBI have identified a person who represents a credible threat and her whereabouts are unknown at this time, the districts agreed that it was best to exercise extreme caution and close schools for the day,” Jones said.

According to the FBI, Sol Pais is the woman wanted in the case. She is infatuated with the Columbine massacre and purchased a shotgun and ammunition in the Denver area after arriving at Denver International Airport on Monday night.

RBP
04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
This is a bizarre story.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 10:39 AM
This is a bizarre story.

Other than her being a sick fuck, how so?

And if you know your kid (or someone knows that a kid) was infatuated with something like Columbine, wouldn't you do something about it? I mean if the FBI knows she's infatuated with it, she obviously talked about it or posted online about it somewhere.

RBP
04-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Other than her being a sick fuck, how so?

And if you know your kid (or someone knows that a kid) was infatuated with something like Columbine, wouldn't you do something about it? I mean if the FBI knows she's infatuated with it, she obviously talked about it or posted online about it somewhere.

An 18-year-old female flies from Florida to Denver, buys a shotgun, heads to the foothills, and there's a credible threat against local schools? How is that not bizarre? I have not heard a school shooting story that was not somehow connected to the school or the community, especially someone traveling across country to do it, and am not aware of any female school shooters.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 11:38 AM
An 18-year-old female flies from Florida to Denver, buys a shotgun, heads to the foothills, and there's a credible threat against local schools? How is that not bizarre? I have not heard a school shooting story that was not somehow connected to the school or the community, especially someone traveling across country to do it, and am not aware of any female school shooters.

While this may be unique when it comes to violence at schools in this fashion, there have always been people infatuated with things like this, and some have even gone out and been copycats trying to emulate their "heroes". But yes, the facts as they are known so far make this an odd one. I'm just glad that law enforcement became aware of the threat before anything happened.

And with this being the 20th anniversary of Columbine coming up, this might not be the last whackjob we hear from.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 03:00 PM
A couple of excerpts from a story in WaPo this morning:

FBI agents were seen entering Pais’s home in South Florida Tuesday night. A man who identified himself as her father told the Miami Herald of his daughter: “I think maybe she’s got a mental problem."

Pais’s parents reported the teenager missing Monday night, after losing contact with her on Sunday.

You think? You don't know? Your kid is infatuated with this and you think she has a mental problem? That's some mighty fine parenting there. :facepalm:

The 20th anniversary of the shooting at Columbine is Saturday. As the district prepares for the day’s memorial events, it is fending off an onslaught of curious strangers who trespass in the school’s parking lot — sometimes more than 30 people in a day. Some say they just want to pay their respects, but others claim they are in love with the shooters — or sometimes that they have been reincarnated with the shooters’ souls.

:|

Hal-9000
04-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Saw this picture on Imgur and was just going to ask if anyone had seen it.

Hal-9000
04-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Brenda Spencer from 1979. The song I Don't Like Mondays was based on her. She had mental issues, not to mention a horrible home life with the father.

She lived across the street from an elementary school and started unloading on kids waiting to get into the school outside a gate :|

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

RBP
04-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Excellent catch, Hal.

Still local and related to the school, but I had forgotten that one.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 04:38 PM
School shootings go all the way back to Revolutionary War times. It's not great to think about but it's nothing new.

The earliest known United States shooting to happen on school property was the Pontiac's Rebellion school massacre on July 26, 1764, where four Lenape American Indian entered the schoolhouse near present-day Greencastle, Pennsylvania, shot and killed schoolmaster Enoch Brown, and killed nine or ten children (reports vary). Only two children survived.

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Local news is reporting that the suspect was found and she is dead.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 04:48 PM
I'm seeing reports that she was taken into custody. Nobody's saying anything about her being dead yet.

Hal-9000
04-17-2019, 04:51 PM
She is 18?

Looking at those pictures I would have said late 20's at least.

Teh One Who Knocks
I'm seeing reports that she was taken into custody. Nobody's saying anything about her being dead yet.

I have local info available that's probably not national yet. Multiple local stations here are reporting she is dead.

Teh One Who Knocks
She is 18?

Looking at those pictures I would have said late 20's at least.

My thoughts exactly.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 04:54 PM
CBS 4 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/RfNzvDp.jpg

CLEAR CREEK COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – The massive search for Sol Pais is over. She is dead, according to a law enforcement source at a command post in Clear Creek County.
The 18-year-old female suspect was on the run after after making threats that led to the closure of school for more than half a million students on Colorado’s Front Range Wednesday.

A total of 20 or 30 armed officers including a SWAT team and a Clear Creek County snowcat were near the Echo Lake Campground in the Arapaho National Forest and in the midst of an extensive search operation Wednesday morning. The search was centered at the base of Mount Evans. Late Wednesday morning authorities said Pais is dead. It’s not clear how she died.

A woman who was hiking in the area in the morning told CBS4 she was told to leave the area because “a naked woman matching the description with a gun was spotted in the area running through the woods.”

Pais was considered to be armed and dangerous. The 18-year-old was from Florida and made some comments about the Columbine shooting on April 20, 1999, that apparently caused great concern. She was apparently “infatuated with the perpetrators of Columbine.”

Authorities haven’t said exactly what she said, and it’s not clear if those comments were made before or after her purchase of a pump-action shotgun once she arrived in Colorado on Monday night. She apparently wasn’t specifically threatening any specific school in her comments.

Hal-9000
04-17-2019, 04:58 PM
“a naked woman matching the description with a gun ..."

Geez, by way of warning she made threats/spoke about her intent and then acted this way once she arrived?

Sounds like suicide by cop to me.

Real happy it worked out this way and fuck her for making some responder shoot an 18 year old girl.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2019, 05:02 PM
“a naked woman matching the description with a gun ..."

Geez, by way of warning she made threats/spoke about her intent and then acted this way once she arrived?

Sounds like suicide by cop to me.

Real happy it worked out this way and fuck her for making some responder shoot an 18 year old girl.

The local NBC affiliate here has a source that is saying she died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 05:02 PM
It's on Fox News now. Yep, she's dead.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Now we need to find out how the hell she got that shotgun. I'm thinking that shop she bought it from is in deep shit.

fricnjay
04-17-2019, 05:23 PM
This a sad story. I mean technically from what I have read she never actually did anything wrong. If school councilors and teachers were better equipped to recognize troubled students like this she may have been able to have gotten the help she needed and would still be alive.

RBP
04-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Now we need to find out how the hell she got that shotgun. I'm thinking that shop she bought it from is in deep shit.I just read that a long gun purchase in CO requires no permit and accepts ID from any state for background checks.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 10:12 PM
I just read that a long gun purchase in CO requires no permit and accepts ID from any state for background checks.

If that's true, then I imagine that Colorado will be changing that law very quickly.

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2019, 11:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOTpVYu8NWI

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
This a sad story. I mean technically from what I have read she never actually did anything wrong. If school councilors and teachers were better equipped to recognize troubled students like this she may have been able to have gotten the help she needed and would still be alive.

Making terroristic threats against a bunch of schools is "doing nothing wrong"? :-s

I just read that a long gun purchase in CO requires no permit and accepts ID from any state for background checks.

Yup, I had no idea that was the law here. You only need to be an in state resident to purchase a handgun here.

If that's true, then I imagine that Colorado will be changing that law very quickly.

I hope so, it's a ludicrous exemption if you ask me. It should be that only a resident. of the state can by a weapon in that state.

RBP
04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Pew Pew.

Have the details of her demise been released? Did she really kill herself of did she clintonesque "kill herself".

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2019, 11:38 AM
No, and I doubt we'll ever know. Usually these types of people are cowards and I don't doubt that she probably killed herself. I wouldn't want to be the team that had to clean that up though because killing yourself with a shotgun would make a huge mess.

RBP
04-18-2019, 12:04 PM
No, and I doubt we'll ever know. Usually these types of people are cowards and I don't doubt that she probably killed herself. I wouldn't want to be the team that had to clean that up though because killing yourself with a shotgun would make a huge mess.

And she was apparently naked. Again, the whole thing is so odd. I agree with Jay's comments that this is a failure of our mental health system.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2019, 12:37 PM
And she was apparently naked. Again, the whole thing is so odd. I agree with Jay's comments that this is a failure of our mental health system.

How can it be a failure of the system if her parents didn't know (or care)? If she didn't present to anyone or reach out and kept it hidden, I find it hard that it was a systemic failure. News stories from Florida sources said she was an honor roll student in AP classes and was a good student by all accounts.

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2019, 12:43 PM
How can it be a failure of the system if her parents didn't know (or care)? If she didn't present to anyone or reach out and kept it hidden, I find it hard that it was a systemic failure. News stories from Florida sources said she was an honor roll student in AP classes and was a good student by all accounts.

Performance in school isn't an indicator of mental stability. You can be smart and still be nuts.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Performance in school isn't an indicator of mental stability. You can be smart and still be nuts.

And you can be nuts and hide it and nobody knows. That's not the system's fault.

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2019, 12:57 PM
And you can be nuts and hide it and nobody knows. That's not the system's fault.

I never said it was. I think this case illustrates the same principle lying behind the Vegas concert shooting: there will always be unpredictable outliers. And no matter what you do, no matter what kind of checks you put in place, they're gonna find a way to get through without raising red flags.

The authorities who closed the schools and went looking for her won yesterday. They did the right things. As inconvenient as it may be, a lost day at school can be made up, but you can't bring back people from the dead. The communication lines were open and people listened and took the credible threat seriously. That's how we stop these things. It won't be perfect, we won't win all the time, but it'll help more often than not.

RBP
04-18-2019, 01:14 PM

I view "systemic" for mental health a larger than just the treatment system. Mental health is still stigmatized and ignored. It's gotten better, but still there. Kids can be ashamed to speak up, parents can deny issues because of meritocracy. Same with teachers and administrators. They are consumed with the obvious. We still have to do better.

fricnjay
04-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Making terroristic threats against a bunch of schools is "doing nothing wrong"? :-s

The article says "allegedly" but that aside what I really meant was that she hadn't actually gone through with it.

FBI agents were seen entering Pais’s home in South Florida Tuesday night. A man who identified himself as her father told the Miami Herald of his daughter: “I think maybe she’s got a mental problem."

If the father knew I promise someone at the school knew. It totally surprises me how much my wife knows about the personal lives of students. And she works at the Admin level now, shes not even in a school.