PDA

View Full Version : Amazon to make one-day shipping the standard on Amazon Prime

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2019, 05:57 PM
PC Magazine

https://i.imgur.com/0Kj92JSl.jpg

The standard delivery time for your Amazon Prime orders will eventually take one day, not two.

"We're currently working on evolving our Prime free two-day shipping program to be a free one-day shipping program," Amazon's chief financial officer Brian Olsavsky said in a Thursday earnings call.

According to Olsavsky, Amazon plans on spending $800 million in this year's second quarter to build out the infrastructure needed to make the one-day delivery times possible. Already, the company's Amazon Prime program has been offering one-day, same-day, and two-hour shipping times, but only in certain zip codes and for a limited number of products.

However, in recent months the company has been expanding the number of zip codes and items eligible for the one-day shipping times, Olsavsky said. "We're able to do this because we spent 20 plus years expanding our fulfillment and logistics network. But this is still a big investment and [there's] a lot of work to do ahead of us," he added.

For now, it isn't clear when Amazon will complete the transition to the faster delivery time. But the goal is to bring the one-day shipping to Amazon Prime across the globe, starting in North America. "We expect to make steady progress quickly and through the year," Olsavsky said.

The company is making the investment a year after increasing the price for Amazon Prime from the annual $99 fee to $119. At the time, Amazon said the price hike was needed because the paid subscription service was costing the company more to run. With Amazon Prime, customers can get access to both faster free shipping, and access to the company's video and music streaming services.

Despite last year's price hike, Olsavsky said on Thursday that the company saw more Amazon Prime sign-ups in 2018 than in any other year. "Morphing to a one-day free shipping offer will make it even more the best deal in retail," he added.

RBP
04-26-2019, 08:27 PM
What is amazing to me is that it's not one day shipping, it's one day delivery. The shipping isn't the stunning part, it's the fulfillment speed.

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2019, 09:17 PM
I guess prime will go up another $500.

Godfather
04-27-2019, 02:09 AM
I wish they'd focus on improving packaging first :lol: Some of the boxes and air packing I've received for tiny items is just wild. I hate it both for the waste, as well as just the pain in the dick taking out all that recycling is.

RBP
04-27-2019, 04:02 AM
I wish they'd focus on improving packaging first :lol: Some of the boxes and air packing I've received for tiny items is just wild. I hate it both for the waste, as well as just the pain in the dick taking out all that recycling is.

Do they offer 'prime day' delivery there? That allows you to pick one day a week that everything gets delivered. All in one box for smaller items.

Godfather
04-27-2019, 06:23 AM
Do they offer 'prime day' delivery there? That allows you to pick one day a week that everything gets delivered. All in one box for smaller items.

It seems sort of hit or miss, I think because sometimes stuff comes up from south of the border rather than all being out of one big facility? Sometimes I can combine a few items in my basket to all ship together but not always.

Hal-9000
04-27-2019, 04:58 PM
What is amazing to me is that it's not one day shipping, it's one day delivery. The shipping isn't the stunning part, it's the fulfillment speed.

Coming from working almost three decades in that environment, that's exactly where the turnaround occurs.

As long as the fulfillment facility could receive the request before the designated pick up time for the courier of choice, it's only a matter of cost/service selection with the courier company. Overnight vs ground.

eg If we had a release created before our 3 pm UPS daily pick-up time, we had no excuse not to fulfill it. For us delays only occurred if the client lived in a remote part of the province which forced us to do courier forwarding - UPS > Greyhound bus > Joe's Cartage sort of thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
I've noticed on a lot of things now that Amazon is offering free one day delivery now. So not sure if that makes Denver one of the test markets or if they are just already starting to roll it out and phase it in.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Even the current prime doesn't even deliver in 2 days, though it says it will :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Even the current prime doesn't even deliver in 2 days, though it says it will :roll:

I dunno, if something says 2 day delivery, I can count on 1 hand the amount of times something didn't show up on time. There are some things that are listed under Prime and you get free shipping, but it doesn't say that you will get it in 2 days.

RBP
04-29-2019, 04:13 PM
I've noticed on a lot of things now that Amazon is offering free one day delivery now. So not sure if that makes Denver one of the test markets or if they are just already starting to roll it out and phase it in.

It depends on where you live relative to distribution hubs. I am in a PrimeNow area for example, so there is a lot available for same day.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
It depends on where you live relative to distribution hubs. I am in a PrimeNow area for example, so there is a lot available for same day.

In the last couple of years, Amazon has built two HUGE distribution facilities in Denver metro. One north of the city and one south, so I'm sure that's contributed to it. I'm in a PrimeNow market as well. Only used it once, but it was scary how easy it was and actually how relatively inexpensive it was to have something delivered on the same day like that.

Muddy
04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Fuck Amazon..!! :woot:

RBP
04-29-2019, 04:26 PM
In the last couple of years, Amazon has built two HUGE distribution facilities in Denver metro. One north of the city and one south, so I'm sure that's contributed to it. I'm in a PrimeNow market as well. Only used it once, but it was scary how easy it was and actually how relatively inexpensive it was to have something delivered on the same day like that.

Order all the heavy shit in bulk on special. The drivers love when people do that. :lol:

Hal-9000
04-29-2019, 05:01 PM

I recently ordered some weed from an online supplier in BC.

Put the order in on a Sunday night, they processed the interact Monday morning and my mailman put weed in my mailbox Tuesday morning.

Essentially a 48 hour turnaround and the shipper was snail mail :lol: (Canada Post) Color me impressed.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-29-2019, 06:20 PM
I have got same day delivery to be fair.

Hal-9000
04-29-2019, 06:50 PM
I have got same day delivery to be fair.

:x

From an LA supplier? I was ordering from Vancouver Island which is one province over and usually an extra day because of the island location.

I could have paid for express overnight service, but I'm too cheap.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-29-2019, 06:54 PM
I have an amazon distro center about 15 miles from me

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 06:54 PM
:usa: > :canada:

:giggle:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 06:55 PM
Sometimes I decline the free 1 day shipping and just go with the standard 2 day shipping because I feel bad when I don't need it that fast. :lol:

Hal-9000
04-29-2019, 06:59 PM
I have an amazon distro center about 15 miles from me

My weed distro center is about 1000 miles from me :lol:

Hal-9000
04-29-2019, 06:59 PM
:usa: > :canada:

:giggle:

:fu: different situations comprehension-boy

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 07:06 PM
:fu: different situations comprehension-boy

:beatdown: Comprehend :beatdown: this! :beatdown:

Hal-9000
04-30-2019, 03:42 PM
:beatdown: Comprehend :beatdown: this! :beatdown:

Reminds me of one of my favorite posts from the last few years...

:beatdown: You :beatdown: will :beatdown: suffer :beatdown: through :beatdown: this :beatdown: travesty :beatdown: with :beatdown: me! :beatdown:

:lol: :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2019, 03:43 PM
:dance:

Hal-9000
04-30-2019, 03:52 PM
People put inspirational messages on the net about theirparents, spouses, lifelong friends made in the military...

You have to acknowledge that hal supported you by suffering through the entire second season of Discovery :rofl: