PDA

View Full Version : Subway riders stop hatchet-wielding maniac on train: cops

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2019, 10:36 AM
By Tina Moore, Craig McCarthy and Anabel Sosa - The New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/eMUYLaK.jpg

A hatchet-wielding straphanger tried to slice a passenger on Midtown subway train, but his ax-attack was foiled by a pair of good Samaritans, cops said Sunday.

The near-brutal encounter started Saturday night while the 46-year-old Reinaldo Reyes was riding the No. 1 train northbound just before 10:40 p.m.

The New Jersey man had gotten into an argument with another rider that turned physical near the W. 66th Street and Lincoln Center subway station, cops said.

But when the man pulled the hatchet from his bag of weapons, two good Samaritans tackled the ax-carrying man and held him down until cops arrived.

Brian Reid, 43, told The Post ” the city is not as safe anymore.”

“It’s pretty scary,” 54-year-old California resident, Lynne Bernstein, told The Post.

Ted Bernstein, 63, said he hoped he’d jump in like the good Samaritans.

“I’d like to think I’d step in and help!” he said.

When police arrested the 46-year-old man they found more weapons on him — two metal pipes, a knife and pepper spray. The ax was covered in blood, according to police.

Reyes, of Jersey City, was charged with 10 counts of weapon possession, unlawful possession of noxious matter for having mace, reckless endangerment, menacing and two counts of disorderly conduct.

He has 15 prior arrests, according to the NYPD.