PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Cubs investigating fan who appeared to flash white power sign on air

RBP
05-08-2019, 04:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/YLfPM7L.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/08/chicago-cubs-investigating-fan-who-appeared-flash-white-power-sign-air/?utm_term=.0d3bf9071671

On a chilly Tuesday night at Wrigley Field, the cameras cut to former outfielder Doug Glanville, now an analyst for NBC Sports Chicago. As Glanville praised Chicago’s resurgent offense, a bearded fan in the background mugged for the camera.

Then, the fan in a Cubs hoodie formed his hand into an upside-down “okay” sign, holding it next to Glanville’s head until the camera cut to a graphic.

To many viewers, the gesture was reminiscent of one recently adopted as a symbol of white power flashed by far-right militia members and by the terrorist charged with killing 51 Muslim worshipers in New Zealand. The Cubs say they’re investigating what they called the “offensive hand gesture,” and threatened to ban the fan for life.

“Such ignorant and repulsive behavior is not tolerated at Wrigley Field,” Crane Kenney, the Cubs’ president of business operations, said in a statement released early Wednesday. “We are reviewing the incident thoroughly because no one should be subjected to this type of offensive behavior.”

The case marks the latest high-profile emergence of the hand symbol and suggests yet again how thoroughly troubling language and memes pushed by the alt-right and adopted by hate groups have infiltrated American culture. But such gestures, which can run the gamut from ironic jokes to long-running games to outright symbols of intolerance, are also notoriously difficult to interpret.

[A Coast Guard officer on Florence duty made a hand gesture on TV. Some saw a white-power sign.]

The “okay” hand gesture as a symbol of white intolerance apparently started as a joke by trolls on the 4chan message board in early 2017, as The Washington Post’s Eli Rosenberg and Abby Ohlheiser reported. The idea, according to message boards uncovered by BuzzFeed News, was to trigger liberals and trick the media by pretending the widely used hand signal had a secret racist meaning.

But as the tongue-in-cheek movement grew, the gesture was appropriated by those who really did use it as a sign of white supremacy. It’s now become ubiquitous at far-right gatherings, the Southern Poverty Law Center notes, making it nearly impossible to untangle its ironic use from those meaning it as a straightforward slur. That’s actually the idea.

“The point of the stunt would be to get liberals wound up, so they can then claim that liberals are just imagining things,” noted Salon writer Amanda Marcotte in September. “That was what the OK symbol was literally invented to do: Both serve at a white supremacist symbol and also one that is just ordinary-enough looking that when liberals expressed outrage, the white supremacist could play the victim of liberal hysteria.”

Even that level of nuance, however, seemed lost in March when the hand gesture was flashed in a New Zealand courtroom by Brenton Tarrant, an Australian accused of attacking two mosques after posting a racist, Islamophobic manifesto.

The fact that the fan on Tuesday used the symbol behind Glanville, who is black, only adds to the suggestion that it was meant as a racist gesture. It comes at a delicate moment for the Cubs, who have faced backlash after racist and Islamophobic emails sent and received by Joe Ricketts, the billionaire patriarch of the family who owns the franchise and Wrigley Field, were published in February. Ricketts has since apologized and his family has noted that he plays no active role in team management.

In his statement, Kenney pledged that the team would take the on-air gesture seriously.

“Any derogatory conduct should be reported immediately to our ballpark staff,” he said. “Any individual behaving in this manner will not only be removed from the ballpark, but will be permanently banned from Wrigley Field.”

:facepalm:

Muddy
05-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Who gives a fuck NBC.

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Since when did the OK sign become a "white power" sign?

Muddy
05-08-2019, 05:02 PM

There is also a game out there where someone flashes that sign trying to get a person to look at their junk or something.. The racism thing is a major stretch and shame on the "investigation" for jumping on the bandwagon..

Hal-9000
05-08-2019, 05:03 PM

from the article it looks like 4chan...

"The “okay” hand gesture as a symbol of white intolerance apparently started as a joke by trolls on the 4chan message board in early 2017, as The Washington Post’s Eli Rosenberg and Abby Ohlheiser reported. The idea, according to message boards uncovered by BuzzFeed News, was to trigger liberals and trick the media by pretending the widely used hand signal had a secret racist meaning."

At one point I thought it was a reference to the Malcolm in the Middle game (seeing the circle beneath waist level) :|

I saw the dude from the NZ shootings do it as he was arraigned in court. Big shit eating grin on his face too.

Godfather
05-09-2019, 05:47 AM
from the article it looks like 4chan...

"The “okay” hand gesture as a symbol of white intolerance apparently started as a joke by trolls on the 4chan message board in early 2017, as The Washington Post’s Eli Rosenberg and Abby Ohlheiser reported. The idea, according to message boards uncovered by BuzzFeed News, was to trigger liberals and trick the media by pretending the widely used hand signal had a secret racist meaning."

At one point I thought it was a reference to the Malcolm in the Middle game (seeing the circle beneath waist level) :|

I saw the dude from the NZ shootings do it as he was arraigned in court. Big shit eating grin on his face too.

My friends and I used to do the 'ok sign' game as kids, we learned it from Malcolm in the Middle. If you can get a friend to look at the 'ok' sign below your waist, you get to punch them in the arm.

This is the same thing as what Pepe the Frog became. It's a silly meme intentionally made to look like more than it is, 4chan knows exactly how easy it is to play to the paranoia of the media and get these rumors rolling. It's stupid, but if you don't like it the solution is dead simple: don't feed the troll.

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:00 AM
My friends and I used to do the 'ok sign' game as kids, we learned it from Malcolm in the Middle. If you can get a friend to look at the 'ok' sign below your waist, you get to punch them in the arm.

This is the same thing as what Pepe the Frog became. It's a silly meme intentionally made to look like more than it is, 4chan knows exactly how easy it is to play to the paranoia of the media and get these rumors rolling. It's stupid, but if you don't like it the solution is dead simple: don't feed the troll.

And yet the unwitting moron is banned from the park. At what point are we feeding the wrong troll?

Godfather
05-09-2019, 06:09 AM
And yet the unwitting moron is banned from the park. At what point are we feeding the wrong troll?

Oh for sure, that's sort of the point I was trying to make :lol: This guy and most of 4chan are harmless morons. Allowing the media to act like they actually buy this gag despite knowing full well it's all contrived is feeding the ultimate troll - the media. 4chan wins here too but that's really secondary isn't it.

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Oh for sure, that's sort of the point I was trying to make :lol: This guy and most of 4chan are harmless morons. Allowing the media to act like they actually buy this gag despite knowing full well it's all contrived is feeding the ultimate troll - the media. 4chan wins here too but that's really secondary isn't it.

But sanity loses, which is far more disturbing.

Godfather
05-09-2019, 06:18 AM
But sanity loses, which is far more disturbing.

Yup, I just don't get it. What would the backlash on the Cubs actually be if they just flat out ignored anyone online pretending to be offended by an OK sign and any journos pretending to be legitimately interested? I'd like to think if I had any say in it, I'd just blow the entire thing off.

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Excuse my rant, but when did this country lose it's sense of humor? When did we stop laughing at morons and dismissing them? I used to mock the nazis and the klansmen, but respected their right to exist. When did we get so fucking insane that a prank equals a ban? If this is the vision of the leftist, it is frighteningly totalitarian.

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Yup, I just don't get it. What would the backlash on the Cubs actually be if they just flat out ignored anyone online pretending to be offended by an OK sign and any journos pretending to be legitimately interested? I'd like to think if I had any say in it, I'd just blow the entire thing off.

All I have is that those given the microphone set the agenda.

Godfather
05-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Excuse my rant, but when did this country lose it's sense of humor? When did we stop laughing at morons and dismissing them? I used to mock the nazis and the klansmen, but respected their right to exist. When did we get so fucking insane that a prank equals a ban? If this is the vision of the leftist, it is frighteningly totalitarian.

All I have is that those given the microphone set the agenda.

It's the internet man, that's my theory :lol: We weren't ready for it, not this fast. If we had anyone younger than me here they'd think I was a curmudgeon but truly I've seen it turn from the funniest, freest, strangest place to the most putrid pile of angry bullhorners. It's been gentrified (there's a callback for you :lol: )

The meek shall inherit the earth and all that...

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:39 AM
It's the internet man, that's my theory :lol: We weren't ready for it, not this fast. If we had anyone younger than me here they'd think I was a curmudgeon but truly I've seen it turn from the funniest, freest, strangest place to the most putrid pile of angry bullhorners. It's been gentrified (there's a callback for you :lol: )

The meek shall inherit the earth and all that...

Gentrified? I wish. I don't know how to gentrify the internet ghettos.

We ain't seen nothin' yet. Which reminds me, read your fucking inbox.

Godfather
05-09-2019, 06:47 AM
It's official now, GF doesn't know how to use the word gentrified :lol:

RBP
05-09-2019, 06:51 AM
It's official now, GF doesn't know how to use the word gentrified :lol:

Clearly. :lol:

Godfather
05-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Also just in case anyone is doubtful this is strictly a troll, this is the OG post from the /pol/ board of 4chan directly in 2017:

https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/styles/max_1300x1300/public/2017-05/ok-hand-4chan-troll-684.jpg?itok=uYEfpQ2Z

Interesting that even if this guy really was trying to play into this meme, he did it upside down...like the circle-game...

Hal-9000
05-09-2019, 02:40 PM

"When did we get so fucking insane that a prank equals a ban?"

Right after the last person to use that particular hand signal in public shot 50 people at a Mosque.

What this guy did at the game is no different than a 17 year old making a joke about shooting people at school. Moronic humor or beginning of a horrible day?

Overly sensitive? Maybe.