PDA

View Full Version : Australia misspells ‘responsibility’ on 46M new $50 bank notes

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2019, 02:42 PM
By Lucia I. Suarez Sang | Fox News

They had just one responsibility.

Australia's high-tech polymer notes are among the most difficult in the world to counterfeit due to their extraordinary level of detail, with the technology even being exported to other countries.

Unfortunately, the notes aren't perfect. The country's central bank has claimed mea culpa after an eagle-eyed radio listener noticed that there was a microscopic typo on the country’s new 50 Australian dollar ($35) bank note.

Triple M Radio posted on Instagram on Thursday a magnified photograph of the bank note showing the misspelling of “responsibility.” The word appears three times on the note, and every time, the third “I” is missing.

BxN4PpbBRHj
The Reserve Bank of Australia confirmed the spelling error, saying they will correct at the next print run later this year.

There are some 46 million bills already in use across the country. The bills were released in October and feature Edith Cowan, the first female member of an Australian parliament.

The misspell appears in an extract from her first speech to the Western Australia state Parliament in 1921 that is printed in what appears to be a lawn next to her bust.

"It is a great responsibility to be the only woman here, and I want to emphasize the necessity which exists for other women being here," reads in part the quote, which is repeated several times over in microscopic print.

Hal-9000
05-09-2019, 02:56 PM
I wonder if the misspelled notes will become collectors items?

Years back when I worked at Petro Canada before digital printing we used to print a lot of letterhead and business cards for employees.

Woman in charge of pre-press quality control was a total bitch who I'll call Crystal, because that was her name.

She was the most prissy, arrogant, look down her nose at you coworker I've ever had. It was her job to proof all printing jobs.

example of her bitchiness - If the client made a spelling mistake she would take the time to call them, admonish them and then do her damn job which is correcting client mistakes.

You don't treat clients like that even if they are in-house corporate coworkers.

I did some shipping back when I was hired and saw 5000 business cards (large order) for Joe Schmoe, vice president of western marketing and sales. Big guy on the totem pole.

On the sample card fastened to the box it said "Vic-president". I noticed and sent them out anyways.

Turns out the guy was headed to a conference in the States to possibly open new outlets down there...and he was NOT impressed :lol: :lol:

And after Crystal the twat got royally reamed out she had the audacity to come to our department and try to blame us for not stopping the mistake from leaving the building. After the mistake made it through about eight people's hands before us.

My boss told her in no uncertain terms to take a hike and we called her Vick for months after, sometimes to her face :rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2019, 03:00 PM
46 million notes printed wrong, way too many to have any real value beyond that of a novelty. :lol:

Hal-9000
05-09-2019, 03:11 PM
46 million notes printed wrong, way too many to have any real value beyond that of a novelty. :lol:

Yeah that's a lot :lol:

I think Aussies create the same sort of currency we do, which feels like half plastic and half paper. Some of our bills have that see through plastic middle portion and then about a million 3d images lasered within the printing, making them almost impossible to duplicate.

Kind of neat story - I have an old Canon printer here I bought around 2006. I tried to scan a five dollar bill because they're a deep blue color and I wanted to check the color and DPI settings of the scanning program. The printer would not do it. It somehow recognized I was attempting to scan currency :shock:

Which is weird because the printer was about 75 bucks and no great shakes technically :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I think that was a required function that had to be built into printers going way back. I have no idea how they know it's currency, but they do. Kinda scary....maybe they're watching. :shock:

Hal-9000
05-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I think that was a required function that had to be built into printers going way back. I have no idea how they know it's currency, but they do. Kinda scary....maybe they're watching. :shock:

At my old job we used copiers that cost 250k and more, and they were locked with a key. Also locked up certain types of paper stock for that exact reason. They kept track of impressions daily and if anything was funny, the digital print crew was called onto the carpet. From what I was told they could make copies of the currency of the time.

I recall unloading a very large new digital copier from a truck (the thing was about 15 feet long, 5 feet high and 5 feet deep) and our building had very confined forklift lanes leading up to the digital print area. Like about 6 feet wide with racks on both sides :lol: My supervisor came running back when it arrived and specifically asked me if I could transport it on the lift. Then he whispers in my ear - Don't mean to worry you but that piece of equipment is about 500, 000 dollars. Please don't hit anything. If you do this I'll buy you lunch for a week straight, your choice of restaurants.

I made the miracle happen by putting the thing on an angle using bungee cords on the forks, and drove making constant angles, then corrections throughout our building.

I did it and boss kept his word :thumbsup:

lost in melb.
05-09-2019, 03:30 PM
So who's responsibilty was this? :shakehead:

Hal-9000
05-09-2019, 03:36 PM
I can't se were the probem is :-s