PDA

View Full Version : Illinois residents could be charged $1,000 a year to own an electric vehicle under new legislation

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2019, 10:31 AM
By David Aaro | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/u9q8hn8l.jpg

Electric car owners in Illinois could take a large hit to their bank accounts after lawmakers proposed an extreme hike in registration fees for electronic vehicles in the state.

The proposal would raise the annual registration fee to $1,000, more than 57 times the current amount of $17.50.

Illinois officials believe the legislation will raise $2.4 billion for future projects, the major one being roadway improvement, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The bill was introduced last week by Chicago state Sen. Martin Sandoval, a Democrat who says the registration fee hike is imperative to help fund necessary infrastructure improvements.

“Capital bills in Springfield are like the second coming of the cicadas — every 10 years — and that’s not the way to go in regards to funding our infrastructure,” Sandoval told NPR Illinois. “This is a transformational model. And hopefully, when we get done with passing this sustainable capital bill, we won’t have to have another press conference like this 10 years from now.”

The bill would also make things more expensive for residents who drive non-electric cars. The state's gas tax would go up 19 cents to 44 cents a gallon, fees for driver’s licenses would double and the registration fee for non-electric vehicles would go up nearly 50% from $98 to $148.

“It’s outrageous,” Tesla owner Nicoletta Skarlatos, 56, told the Chicago Tribune. “I thought Illinois was progressive and would want to encourage EV (electric vehicle) ownership.”

The reason for the extreme hikes are that electric vehicles don't provide the state any gas tax revenue. Electric vehicle companies Tesla and Rivian say they're against the legislation.

“Imposing fees on EVs that are over 400 percent more than their gasoline-powered counterparts is not only unfair, it discourages promising new technology that will reduce our dependence on petroleum, reduce emissions, and promote the Illinois economy,” Rivian spokesman Michael McHale told the Chicago Tribune.

Sandoval says people who drive hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids won't have to pay the higher registration fee.

This isn't the first time Illinois used a new program to raise additional funds from local residents.

From 2010-2015, 1.2 million motorists in Chicago received 1.5 million tickets as part of the city's red-light and speed camera programs. Residents filed a class action lawsuit, alleging the programs violated the rights of over a million people after the city took more than $285 million, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. The city agreed to settle, with the average resident getting about $36.62. Those who had already paid their tickets before the lawsuit were out of luck.

Officials hope the new gas and electric hikes raise eight times the amount of the red-light and speed camera programs.

Illinois was seventh in electronic vehicle sales last year and there are about 15,000 registered in the state. Over 200,000 electric vehicles were sold last year, about two percent of total U.S auto sales, according to Jenny Acevedo, an analyst with auto research firm Edmund.

“Every automaker has broadcast loud and clear that the future of automotive is autonomous and electric,” Acevedo told the Chicago Tribune. “Certainly, going from $17.50 to $1,000 in terms of registration isn’t going to move the needle in the direction the industry is hoping.”

DemonGeminiX
05-13-2019, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry guys, but it is time to abandon ship. Enough is enough.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-13-2019, 03:26 PM
amazing, they must have started talking to CA

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2019, 03:29 PM
They keep pushing and pushing and pushing for people to drive less and for more fuel efficient cars and by electric cars or hybrids and then they find that because of all this, their gas tax revenue was going down. So they had to think of another idea to get more money (obviously instead of cutting some spending they need more money instead). Here's a brilliant idea, let's put HUGE fees on electric vehicles!

Muddy
05-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Disgraceful.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-13-2019, 05:02 PM
They keep pushing and pushing and pushing for people to drive less and for more fuel efficient cars and by electric cars or hybrids and then they find that because of all this, their gas tax revenue was going down. So they had to think of another idea to get more money (obviously instead of cutting some spending they need more money instead). Here's a brilliant idea, let's put HUGE fees on electric vehicles!

Because that will get people rushing to buy them

Godfather
05-14-2019, 12:59 AM
Illinois officials believe the legislation will raise $2.4 billion for future projects, the major one being roadway improvement, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Am I paranoid for thinking this is just a flat out lie? This is just so absurdly out of line... is it too cliche to winder aloud how many of these officials are bought by oil lobbyists ...

RBP
05-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Am I paranoid for thinking this is just a flat out lie? This is just so absurdly out of line... is it too cliche to winder aloud how many of these officials are bought by oil lobbyists ...

Nope, the governor is complicit with Madigan who controls the legislature. Corrupt as fuck.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Nope, the governor is complicit with Madigan who controls the legislature. Corrupt as fuck.

:hand:

You'll be driving on roads paved with gold :tup:

fricnjay
05-14-2019, 04:14 PM
This is interesting actually. My wives uncle who is now a retired Bowing engineer has a son in law who bought a Tesla. We started talking about carbon foot prints and considering that almost 70% of electricity is still produced using coal, propane or natural gas and the mining of lithium for the batteries is a HUGE undertaking we deduced electric cars may actually be responsible for more environmental pollution than combustion cars.

https://i.imgur.com/05YyUuo.jpg

Godfather
05-15-2019, 03:46 AM
Yikes that's a bad meme, grossly oversimplify this idea that EV's are worse than gas vehicles and lithium and nickle are worse than oil.

Why wouldn't they have used this image of oil production just down the road in Fort Mac Alberta??

https://images.dailykos.com/images/248740/large/dreamstime_m_42945980.jpg?1462577336
https://images.dailykos.com/images/248750/large/GettyImages-92391863.jpg?1462577887
Anyone who has been up north and seen this shit knows that it's nothing like that pretty picture.

You can actually find that meme embedded here in one of several articles discussing and largely debunking it, and discussing the growing efficiency of EV's, lithium production, emissions and battery recycling:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/12/lithium-mining-vs-oil-sands-meme-thorough-response/

Discussion in part this article:
https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions

Or this one:
https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

I'm not saying lithium and battery recycling aren't concerns that need to be addressed, but I hate seeing these kinds of nonsense memes that gloss over a much more complex issue. Sorry, I'm not meaning to attack you personally for posting it, it's a great discussion.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-15-2019, 03:29 PM
I saw it and just decided to ignore its ignorance :lol:

fricnjay
05-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Yikes that's a bad meme, grossly oversimplify this idea that EV's are worse than gas vehicles and lithium and nickle are worse than oil.

I saw it and just decided to ignore its ignorance :lol:

HaHaHa I was just using that to make a point. I live in Texas, I see the Fracking Rigs and Oil Derricks just about everywhere. Just trying to say Electric is not as clean as they want us to believe.

And Porky :slap:

I shall not be ignored!

:dance: