PDA

View Full Version : AOC ramps up rhetoric on wages, says there is 'no more' paying people 'less than they need'

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2019, 05:08 PM
By Sam Dorman | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/6inljOZl.jpg

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., indicated on Monday that she will push for workers to get paid as much as 'they need,' without specifying what the amount would be.

“What we are fighting against -- what we are fighting against is a logic that says it is ok to pay someone less than they need to live, and we are here to say no more," she said during an event promoting her "Green New Deal."

While it's unclear how she would enact that idea through policy, her idea came amid a variety of other progressive proposals that would nudge up wages for workers across the nation.

Both she and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who reportedly vied for Ocasio-Cortez's endorsement, pushed a guaranteed jobs program. In 2018, Sanders advanced a program that would guraantee jobs -- through public works programs -- at $15 per hour.

Many Democrats have also argued for a federal minimum wage of $15 per hour -- forcing private employers to pay their workers more.

During her speech, Ocasio-Cortez portrayed herself as someone authentically on the left side of the political spectrum. Taking aim at "conservatives in both parties," Ocasio-Cortez seemed to target former Vice President Joe Biden.

"I will be damned if the same politicians who refused to act then come back today and say we need a 'middle of the road' approach to save our lives,” she said.

Her comments came after a Biden adviser indicated the former vice president wanted a climate plan that found the "middle ground."

Ocasio-Cortez blasted that plan on Twitter, saying it was a "deal-breaker."

During a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Biden seemed to push back on that "middle-of-the-road" characterization.

“You never heard me say ‘middle of the road.’ I’ve never been middle-of-the-road on the environment,” he said.

He also reportedly told Ocasio-Cortez to check his record. "She’ll find that nobody [has] been more consistent about taking on the environment and a green revolution than I have,” he said.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., indicated on Monday that she will push for workers to get paid as much as 'they need,' without specifying what the amount would be.

:-k

I need about $350K per year, when is she going to come and talk to my boss about it? :-k

fricnjay
05-14-2019, 05:19 PM
I think we need our $174,000 a year back. :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
05-14-2019, 05:21 PM
I dont see our brewery surviving $15 an hour. All I can do is raise our beer prices and the customers will stop coming

lost in melb.
05-14-2019, 05:53 PM
It's a difficult topic. In Australia you only get full award wages at 21, with lower wage tiers 16-21. as a result most service places employ young people with turn over. Kinda works

PorkChopSandwiches
05-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but in my case you have to be 21 to serve alcohol

Muddy
05-14-2019, 08:07 PM
:-k

I need about $350K per year, when is she going to come and talk to my boss about it? :-k

I think we need our $174,000 a year back. :-k

I dont need either of you for that price. Get to steppin', I'll hire someone with fewer needs or just downsize.. :hand:

DemonGeminiX
05-14-2019, 08:41 PM
I dont need either of you for that price. Get to steppin', I'll hire someone with fewer needs or just downsize.. :hand:

Fricnjay was quoting the US Representative's salary. He's saying that we need AOC to give her salary back to us, not for him to get paid $174K/year. It's a roundabout way of saying #MakeAOCaBartenderAgain2020.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-14-2019, 08:52 PM
:lol: #MABA

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2019, 10:43 PM
I dont need either of you for that price. Get to steppin', I'll hire someone with fewer needs or just downsize.. :hand:Pay me! :x