PDA

View Full Version : Colorado ranked as 10th-best state to live despite having No. 1 economy

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2019, 10:37 AM
by Chuck Hickey - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/dq2H6G7.jpg

DENVER — Colorado ranked as the 10th best state to live, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings that were released on Tuesday.

For the third consecutive year, Colorado’s economy ranked first in the country, according to the rankings.

The report looks at 71 metrics across eight categories. Colorado’s overall ranking dropped because it didn’t fare as well in infrastructure (eighth), education (11th), health care (12th), opportunity (28th), fiscal stability (29th), crime and corrections (29th) and natural environment (31st).

The natural environment ranking was low based on a No. 44 ranking in air and water quality and being 20th in pollution.

Colorado also ranked 10th last year and it was No. 9 in the study’s inaugural year in 2017.

“Historically, the state has been rich in agriculture, livestock and mineral extraction,” U.S. News wrote in the report.

“In addition to tourism, the state’s economy is bolstered by a developing technology scene and a presence from the military, including the U.S. Air Force Academy.”

Washington topped the overall rankings, followed by New Hampshire, Minnesota, Utah and Vermont. Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and Nebraska also ranked ahead of Colorado.

Louisiana ranked No. 50, with Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia and New Mexico ahead of it.

DemonGeminiX
05-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Given how much you complain about how things are going out there, I'm calling bullshit.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Don't get me wrong, Colorado is a beautiful state and it has a lot to offer, but the biggest problem is that in the 25 years that I have lived here, it has changed from a hard working, mostly center right state to an extremely progressive and overcrowded state with no signs that the influx of people is going to slow down. Yeah, we may have the #1 economy in the nation, but with the population growth we've seen here, it has caused massive traffic congestion in the city and has exposed the woeful condition of the highways here. Crime has gone up by leaps and bounds, especially violent crime. We've had a HUGE influx of illegals here and of course the liberal politicians at the Capitol are all sympathetic to their 'plight'. It's driven home prices and rent prices up to the point of it not being affordable to even live here any more. The median price of a home for the entire state is now more than $377,000 with the median price in metro Denver up to $408,000 now. And believe me, $400K doesn't by you a ginormous house here, it gets you basically one step up from a starter home, and in some metro suburbs, you can't even get a home for that price.

DemonGeminiX
05-15-2019, 11:28 AM
How does Colorado have the number 1 economy compared to Texas, which has a massive economy?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2019, 11:36 AM
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/economy

lost in melb.
05-15-2019, 01:31 PM
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/economy

So..looking at numbers, you can manage to employ newcomers, but the influx is escalating house prices. Reasonable conclusion?

lost in melb.
05-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Wow, West Virginia is appalling. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess.. :|