PDA

View Full Version : Amazon says Prime Air will begin delivering packages via drones 'within months'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2019, 10:11 AM
By Kathleen Joyce | FOXBusiness

https://i.imgur.com/kfssB2Xl.jpg

Retail giant Amazon Opens a New Window. announced Wednesday at its re:MARS Conference Opens a New Window. in Las Vegas that the company will be delivering packages to its customers via drones “within months.”

Jeff Wilke, the CEO of Amazon’s Worldwide Consumer, made the announcement and showed off the company’s latest drone.

“We’ve been hard at work building fully electric drones that can fly up to 15 miles and deliver packages under five pounds to customers in less than 30 minutes,” Wilke said in an announcement Opens a New Window. . “And, with the help of our world-class fulfillment and delivery network, we expect to scale Prime Air both quickly and efficiently, delivering packages via drone to customers within months.”

The company said it expected Prime Air to begin delivering packages “within months” to its customers via drone.

Wilke said the drone was safe and had a hybrid design. The drone was also crafted to operate in strong winds.

“We know customers will only feel comfortable receiving drone deliveries if they know the system is incredibly safe,” Wilke said in a statement. “So we’re building a drone that isn’t just safe, but independently safe, using the latest artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.”

The drone will also have sensors in order to detect objects while it’s in motion. Wilke said the drones will be sustainable and will cut down on “fuel usage” while reducing emissions.

“Our drones are safe, efficient, stable, and good for the environment,” Wilke said. “We know customers have high standards, so we set a high bar for Prime Air. And we’re excited to be nearing our goal.”

Bezos told CBS’ “60 Minutes” in 2013 that his company would have drones capable of delivering packages to customers within “four, five years.” However, last year The Associated Press reported that various issues kept Amazon from entering the tightly regulated commercial space.

RBP
06-06-2019, 11:08 AM
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a certificate to Amazon Prime Air on Wednesday, allowing the company to operate its MK27 unmanned aircraft for package deliveries, the federal agency said in a statement.

RBP
06-06-2019, 12:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/anDN3hf.mp4

PorkChopSandwiches
06-06-2019, 04:08 PM
:shock:

Muddy
06-06-2019, 04:30 PM
#blackmirror

Hal-9000
06-06-2019, 05:03 PM
So what is going to stop people in hoodies and masks from whacking these things out of the air when they're near the destination and taking the packages?

RBP
06-06-2019, 05:26 PM
So what is going to stop people in hoodies and masks from whacking these things out of the air when they're near the destination and taking the packages?

I agree, but it's also harder to retrieve a duck without a dog.

Hal-9000
06-06-2019, 05:28 PM
I agree, but it's also harder to retrieve a duck without a dog.

pardon? :lol:

If the thing has to land and release the hounds so to speak...there's a pretty good window of opportunity to either disable the drone with a bat or just take the package, no?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2019, 05:30 PM
pardon? :lol:

If the thing has to land and release the hounds so to speak...there's a pretty good window of opportunity to either disable the drone with a bat or just take the package, no?

I think he means it would be like duck hunting without a retriever to go find and get the duck you just shot.

Hal-9000
06-06-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm thinking more of the 10 feet and under airspace where you can hit it with a hockey stick or just grab it.

I'm Canadian. We don't shoot flying objects out of the sky with shotguns unless they look like mallards :lol:

Hal-9000
06-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Next phase : Home owners create attack drones and send them to take out the Amazon drones.

Star Wars : The Drone Wars! :shock:

RBP
06-07-2019, 02:29 AM
I think he means it would be like duck hunting without a retriever to go find and get the duck you just shot.

:winner:

I'm thinking more of the 10 feet and under airspace where you can hit it with a hockey stick or just grab it.

I'm Canadian. We don't shoot flying objects out of the sky with shotguns unless they look like mallards :lol:

Welcome to Chicago. A drone flying to deliver to me would have to fly over the most violent neighborhoods in the city. Unless they do what the commuters do and never get off the highway. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2019, 04:03 AM

There really isn't much to stop them if they're being delivered by a delivery person to begin with. They can just follow the delivery truck and note where the packages are delivered, then go back when the truck is gone and grab the packages that are still waiting and haven't been picked up off the doorstep yet. That happens frequently around Christmas. It's happened to me twice.

But presumably, the drone won't descend from the sky until it's over the package's destination, and if somebody really wants to follow a drone that's flying 50-100 feet up in the sky to grab a box when they have no idea regarding the box's contents, then more power to them. I'd say that's earned loot. The customer could always just call Amazon and say somebody stole their shit, and the thief can enjoy the suppositories or whatever inane thing that the customer bought from Amazon.

RBP
06-07-2019, 04:06 AM
There really isn't much to stop them if they're being delivered by a delivery person to begin with. They can just follow the delivery truck and note where the packages are delivered, then go back when the truck is gone and grab the packages that are still waiting and haven't been picked up off the doorstep yet. That happens frequently around Christmas. It's happened to me twice.

But presumably, the drone won't descend from the sky until it's over the package's destination, and if somebody really wants to follow a drone that's flying 50-100 feet up in the sky to grab a box when they have no idea regarding the box's contents, then more power to them. I'd say that's earned loot. The customer could always just call Amazon and say somebody stole their shit, and the thief can enjoy the suppositories or whatever inane thing that the customer bought from Amazon.

They drive around Chicago in vans swiping off doorsteps until the van is full then reload. Sometimes they get busted.

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2019, 04:15 AM
They drive around Chicago in vans swiping off doorsteps until the van is full then reload. Sometimes they get busted.

Enterprising motherfuckers probably sell the shit on eBay too.

Pony
06-07-2019, 09:49 AM
https://i.imgur.com/anDN3hf.mp4

I think I've seen that movie. In the end the human race prevailed.....barely.

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:14 PM

That's what I'm envisioning. Not the duck-hunting scenario some other posters are trying to imprint on my post.

If it becomes a regular thing, those drones will be dropping out of the sky all down the block to deliver their packages.

There will be a delivery window phase when they near the ground and nothing is going to stop people from either whacking the drone or just waiting until the package is released.

Quick version of the current door step thefts.

RBP
06-07-2019, 04:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DFiLcdW.gif

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DFiLcdW.gif

RupaulBP!

https://imgur.com/SDk5slN.jpg

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:29 PM
sorry, a little bigger than expected :lol:

*that's what SHE said!*

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2019, 04:33 PM
sorry, a little bigger than expected :lol:

*that's what SHE said!*

Did you know that you can change the size of an Imgur image post just by altering the posting code? You can add (in lowercase) an 's' for small, 'm' for medium, 'l' for large, and 'h' for huge at the end of the code before the .jpg :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Did you know that you can change the size of an Imgur image post just by altering the posting code? You can add (in lowercase) an 's' for small, 'm' for medium, 'l' for large, and 'h' for huge at the end of the code before the .jpg :thumbsup:

I usually just augment the original pic on my desktop to start out...kinda old school that way. Didn't know about that, thanks :thumbsup:

I was talking to a bank manager when doing this one...and let's be frank. It's for RBP so who cares :dance:

be back in a while :lol:

RBP
06-07-2019, 04:37 PM

:shock:

https://i.imgur.com/SDk5slNs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SDk5slNm.jpg

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:37 PM
https://imgur.com/SDk5slNs.jpg

RBP
06-07-2019, 04:40 PM
It's for RBP so who cares :dance:

:sad2:

He said I was special. I think he's been grooming me.

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 04:42 PM
:sad2:

He said I was special. I think he's been grooming me.

*takes picture of penis and adds 'h' to the code*

you are special......let me send you a private pic :naughty:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2019, 04:47 PM

That code trick only makes pix smaller, not bigger :nono:

RBP
06-07-2019, 05:25 PM

https://i.imgur.com/kq3Mx3H.jpg

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 05:49 PM
That code trick only makes pix smaller, not bigger :nono:

:-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2019, 05:58 PM
:-k

That's size going downwards where the original is the biggest size is can be, then next would be huge, then large, then medium, then small. And the HUGE setting might be the same size or close to the original size, depending on what size the image starts out as. Nothing will be larger than the original image size changing the code.

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 06:05 PM
That's size going downwards where the original is the biggest size is can be, then next would be huge, then large, then medium, then small. And the HUGE setting might be the same size or close to the original size, depending on what size the image starts out as. Nothing will be larger than the original image size changing the code.

Way to include all of the instruction when giving a tip [-(

Misleading and hurtful post :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Way to include all of the instruction when giving a tip [-(

Misleading and hurtful post :hand:

You want hurtful? :x

:beatdown:

Hal-9000
06-07-2019, 06:09 PM
It's Friday...BECALM YO-SELF WILLIS! :x

[-( don't want none of your sass boy...