PDA

View Full Version : New York Gov. Andrew signs bill granting illegal immigrants driver’s licenses

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2019, 10:33 AM
By Nolan Hicks, Kenneth Garger | New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/iEHO8Ijl.jpg

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday night signed legislation granting driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants — shortly after the controversial measure passed the state Senate.

Cuomo’s action came despite throwing supporters a last-minute curveball by asking the state’s top civil attorney, Solicitor General Barbara Underwood, to review the measure for possible safety concerns — threatening to veto it if he didn’t like her assessment.

“You could create a database for the feds to use to actually track down undocumented people,” Cuomo said on WAMC radio. “California passed a law, and they are now in litigation.”

But Underwood’s boss, Attorney General Tish James, later released a statement amid the Monday-night vote arguing that the bill is legally sound.

“The legislation is well-crafted and contains ample protections for those who apply for driver’s licenses. If this bill is enacted and challenged in court, we will vigorously defend it,” she said.

The law takes 180 days to go into effect, meaning the first licenses will be available in December.

The measure on Monday passed the state Senate by a 33-29 count, often eliciting emotional remarks from both sides of the aisle during the floor vote.

Muddy
06-18-2019, 02:40 PM
What a dumb ass. Can you name any other country in the world that would do this shit?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Nope.

lost in melb.
06-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Ooo, can I get a US drivers licence please :banana:

Muddy
06-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Ooo, can I get a US drivers licence please :banana:

Only if you swim the Rio Grande... :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
They never cease to amaze

RBP
06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
It just occurred to me that in some areas, the DMV has more power to determine immigration status than the police. Huh.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
They just passed the same law here recently in Colorado. :|

teabelly
06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
You should fuckin live in this state.....:banghead:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2019, 04:14 PM
You should fuckin live in this state.....:banghead:

Try CA

Hal-9000
06-18-2019, 06:10 PM
I don't understand how this can happen.

If you want to keep track of illegals create a census as you arrest and jail them.