PDA

View Full Version : US Navy drone hit by Iranian air missile over Strait of Hormuz, source says

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 09:58 AM
By Lucas Tomlinson, Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/VqqvXU4l.jpg

A U.S. high-altitude drone was shot down Thursday by an Iranian surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions in the region after last week’s attacks on two oil tankers, a source told Fox News.

A commander for Iran's Revolutionary Guard said the shooting sends `a clear message' to the U.S. He said while Iran has no intention of war with anyone, it's "ready for war."

The U.S. Navy’s MQ-4C drone, , which has the same wingspan as a Boeing 737, was over international airspace at the time and about 17 miles from Iran, the source said.

Capt. Bill Urban, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, declined to comment on the reported attack when reached by the AP, but he said no drone was over Iranian territory.

https://i.imgur.com/n2Wk7nil.jpg

IRNA news agency, the country’s state-run news arm, identified the drone as an RQ-4 Global Hawk. Iran’s Revolutionary Guard confirmed the shooting and said it occurred when the drone entered into its airspace in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province.

The U.S. said Iran fired a missile at another drone last week that responded to the attack on two oil tankers near the Gulf.

Another senior U.S. official told Fox News last week that an MQ9 Reaper drone was fired on by the Iranians shortly after it arrived at the scene where the MV Altair tanker sent out a distress signal.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has blamed Iran for the "blatant assault" on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

After the tanker incident, Pompeo said his assessment was based on "intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, recent similar Iranian attacks on shipping, and the fact that no proxy group operating in the area has the resources and proficiency to act with such a high degree of sophistication.”

Fox News' Lukas Mikelionis and The Associated Press contributed to this report

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 11:10 AM
We should go get it back... using all of our military might.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 11:14 AM
By LUIS MARTINEZ - ABC News

https://i.imgur.com/BFacM87.jpg

In a major provocation, Iran shot down an unarmed and unmanned U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton drone while it was flying in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, a U.S. official told ABC News.

The incident is sure to trigger serious discussions within the Trump administration about how to respond to a direct attack on a U.S. military asset that goes beyond recent attacks in the Middle East that the U.S. has blamed on Iran.

Gen. Hossein Salami, commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, offered a strongly worded threat to the U.S. after the drone was downed.

"Shooting down the American spy drone had a clear, decisive, firm and accurate message," he said, translated from Farsi. "The message is that the guardians of the borders of Islamic Iran will decisively respond to the violation of any stranger to this land. The only solution for the enemies is to respect the territorial integrity and national interests of Iran."

“We do not intend to engage in war with any country, but we are completely ready for the war. Today’s incident is a clear sign of this accurate message,” Salami added.

The U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton was shot down by an Iranian surface to air missile while the reconnaissance drone was flying in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, a U.S. official told ABC News.

Earlier, Iranian state media had quoted Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as saying it had downed a Global Hawk drone when it entered Iranian airspace near the Kouhmobarak district north of the Strait of Hormuz.

The MQ-4C Triton is an unarmed surveillance aircraft powered by a jet engine, which is capable of operating at altitudes as high as 60,000 feet. It is the Navy's version of the reconnaissance aircraft that the Air Force calls the RQ-4 Global Hawk.

The incident is not the first time in recent days that Iran has targeted an American drone off its coast.

Last Thursday, Iran attempted to shoot down an MQ-9 Reaper that was surveilling the attack on one of two tankers in the Gulf of Oman. The United States has blamed Iran for being responsible for the attacks on the two tankers -- a claim Iran has denied.

https://i.imgur.com/GYcic0U.jpg

"According to our assessment, a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile attempted to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9, at 6:45 a.m. local time, June 13, over the Gulf of Oman, to disrupt surveillance of the IRGC attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous," CENTCOM spokesperson Lt. Col. Earl Brown said in a statement to ABC News on Saturday.

"Subsequent analysis indicates that this was a likely attempt to shoot down or otherwise disrupt the MQ-9 surveillance of the IRGC attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous," Brown said.

In early May, the Pentagon rushed the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and a B-52 bomber task force to the Middle East to deter possible attacks by Iran or Iranian-backed groups on U.S. forces and U.S. interests in the region.

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Yeah, ok. They're totally ready for war... until we show up and run them the fuck over. Then they whine about getting their asses kicked, and Russia and China whines about us handing their little shit-talking buddies an ass-whooping as a lesson for fucking with us.

Muddy
06-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Yeah, and we're the aggressive ones.. /s

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:17 PM
I wonder how big the drone was? Could of been a helluva shot :-k

Muddy
06-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Big as yo' head..

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Big as yo' head..

Big as yo fat ass

Muddy
06-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Big as yo fat ass

Sayyy whaaaat?

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Sayyy whaaaat?

I say whitey got a butt like a drone and it attracts large missiles....CRUISE missiles! :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 04:36 PM

https://i.imgur.com/vkfsIVG.jpg

They're pretty big as far as drones go

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Thanks Lance. Yeah they look like pretty big targets.

I'd be leery of them too if one was flying overhead.

Godfather
06-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Nope, still not buying this fully to be honest. Iran says it was in their airspace (highly contested waters, the US surely knows). Even if they’re lying, we risk WWIII over two bombed tankers and a drone that’s meant to not endanger lives?

Now I’m reading a strike on Iran was called off today at the last minute. I hope that’s nothing but a scare tactic.

Iran has upheld the treaty like asked, left Israel alone, not attacked America, say they had nothing to do with the tankers (still waiting on that evidence implicating them), and now said they shot down a drone in their airspace. They’re more peaceful than most of their neighbours too.

What the actual fuck would be the causam belli for this shit that’s going to cost billions if not trillions, and countless lives?

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 08:18 AM
Nope, still not buying this fully to be honest. Iran says it was in their airspace (highly contested waters, the US surely knows). Even if they’re lying, we risk WWIII over two bombed tankers and a drone that’s meant to not endanger lives?

Now I’m reading a strike on Iran was called off today at the last minute. I hope that’s nothing but a scare tactic.

Iran has upheld the treaty like asked, left Israel alone, not attacked America, say they had nothing to do with the tankers (still waiting on that evidence implicating them), and now said they shot down a drone in their airspace. They’re more peaceful than most of their neighbours too.

What the actual fuck would be the causam belli for this shit that’s going to cost billions if not trillions, and countless lives?

They have not upheld the nuclear treaty. They've openly admitted that they stepped up production and will surpass the limit set by the treaty sometime soon.

They haven't attacked Israel because Israel would slaughter them. And then we'd have to step in. That's a no win scenario for Iran right there.

Countless lives? I'm sorry, but if it's just Iran, it'll be over before it begins. The threat of facing NATO will keep Russia from misbehaving. And China, regardless of their criminal behaviors in world trade, are not stupid. They're not going to lose face over a country that would likely turn on them and stab them in the back over the slightest maneuver.

WWIII will not be started by an Iranian conflict. Everyone knows that Iran is not worth it. Russia and China could always find another trading partner.

And I'm saying this completely aware of the oil issue.

lost in melb.
06-21-2019, 10:16 AM
The moment Iran is attacked suicide bombers around the world will rejoice.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 11:11 AM
By Edmund DeMarche, Lucas Tomlinson | Fox News

The United States made a last-minute decision to call off retaliatory strikes against Iran in response to the downing Thursday of a Navy drone that Washington said was over international airspace, a source told Fox News early Friday.

But few details about the aborted mission and the circumstances that led to the reversal were available.

Multiple news outlets, including the New York Times, Washington Post and Associated Press, reported similar accounts — citing unnamed sources. These reports portray a mission that would have targeted Iranian missile batteries and radars. No shots were fired and no missiles were launched, according to the AP.

The State Department did not immediately respond to an email from Fox News early Friday seeking more clarification.

The Times reported that planes were in the air and ships in position but no shots were fired.

Top White House officials met Thursday for a classified briefing that lasted over an hour about the drone and those in attendance suggested that a “measured” response was likely coming soon.

Despite earlier rhetoric, President Trump appeared to be taking a measured approach to the crisis. Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., an outspoken Trump critic who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, said the president is listening to congressional leaders who are urging caution.

Trump told reporters that Iran made a "very big mistake" but also said he had the feeling that it might have been the result of someone being "loose and stupid," rather than a deliberate provocation by Iran.

The Pentagon released video showing the smoke trail of a Navy drone that was shot out of the sky over the Strait of Hormuz by Iran, in what military officials described as an "unprovoked attack."

The tensions between Washington and Tehran have increased since Trump backed out of the Obama-era nuke deal in May 2018. Iran has been under strain from U.S. sanctions after seeing its currency drop by about 60 percent in 12 months, according to European Union figures. Food and drug prices are up 40 and 60 percent respectively.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration issued an emergency order Thursday prohibiting U.S. operators from flying in an overwater area of Tehran-controlled airspace over the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman “due to heightened military activities and increased political tensions in the region.”

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Are you the Minister of Propaganda for Iran? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 12:15 PM
By HELEN BARNETT - The Express

IRAN has boasted that it could have brought down another US aircraft, this time carrying passengers, in a warning shot to Donald Trump.

Amirali Hajizadeh, head of the Revolutionary Guards aerospace division, said it refrained from downing the P-8 jet, carrying 35 people, as it simply wanted to warn the US to back off. The P-8 was accompanying the US drone, as it flew through international airspace, before it was downed by Iran. According to Tasnim news agency, Mr Hajizadeh said: "With the US drone in the region there was also an American P-8 plane with 35 people on board. This plane also entered our airspace and we could have shot it down, but we did not."

Iran brought down a US military drone on Thursday, warning Donald Trump it would defend its "red lines".

Donald Trump retaliated, mobilising his warships and jets in the area ready to strike Iranian military bases in a missile attack. But he withdrew at the last minute.

Tensions have been riding high since US President Donald Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal, reimposing sanctions.

The US earlier this month blamed Iran for an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, claiming it had video footage showing Iranian military removing an unexploded missile off one of the foreign ships. Iran denied it was behind the strikes.

The US Federal Aviation Administration ordered American airlines not to fly over Iranian airspace.

OPSGROUP, which provides guidance to operators, said: "The threat of a civil aircraft shoot down in southern Iran is real.”

Emirates today joined Australia's Quantas and the Netherlands' KLM airlines in following suit.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS STORY. MORE TO FOLLOW.

Muddy
06-21-2019, 12:20 PM

What do you mean?

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 12:23 PM
By HELEN BARNETT - The Express

IRAN has boasted that it could have brought down another US aircraft, this time carrying passengers, in a warning shot to Donald Trump.

Amirali Hajizadeh, head of the Revolutionary Guards aerospace division, said it refrained from downing the P-8 jet, carrying 35 people, as it simply wanted to warn the US to back off. The P-8 was accompanying the US drone, as it flew through international airspace, before it was downed by Iran. According to Tasnim news agency, Mr Hajizadeh said: "With the US drone in the region there was also an American P-8 plane with 35 people on board. This plane also entered our airspace and we could have shot it down, but we did not."

Iran brought down a US military drone on Thursday, warning Donald Trump it would defend its "red lines".

Donald Trump retaliated, mobilising his warships and jets in the area ready to strike Iranian military bases in a missile attack. But he withdrew at the last minute.

Tensions have been riding high since US President Donald Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal, reimposing sanctions.

The US earlier this month blamed Iran for an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, claiming it had video footage showing Iranian military removing an unexploded missile off one of the foreign ships. Iran denied it was behind the strikes.

The US Federal Aviation Administration ordered American airlines not to fly over Iranian airspace.

OPSGROUP, which provides guidance to operators, said: "The threat of a civil aircraft shoot down in southern Iran is real.”

Emirates today joined Australia's Quantas and the Netherlands' KLM airlines in following suit.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS STORY. MORE TO FOLLOW.

They want a war.

Muddy
06-21-2019, 12:38 PM
They shoot an American passenger jet down and they will get one.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 01:19 PM

lost in melb.
06-21-2019, 01:36 PM

What do you mean?

It will give them a reason to get back to work.

I'm not saying Iran should be tolerated no matter what is does, but it's an attack on an Islamic country by the US - with consequences that should be factored in.

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 01:41 PM
You're right. We should hunt down every Muslim on this Earth and kill them. Wipe them all out. It would save us a lot of pain and frustration in the long run.

I think if we attacked Iran, the majority of the Middle East would join us, since not very many of them actually like Iran. I know Saudi Arabia would jump at the chance of wiping the Iranian government out.

Hikari Kisugi
06-21-2019, 01:44 PM
You're right. We should hunt down every Muslim on this Earth and kill them. Wipe them all out. It would save us a lot of pain and frustration in the long run.

I think if we attacked Iran, the majority of the Middle East would join us, since not very many of them actually like Iran. I know Saudi Arabia would jump at the chance of wiping the Iranian government out.

...and under the surface over the course of the next fifty years which do you think is the larger thread?
The house of Saud funded your 911, and associated messes that followed.

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 01:47 PM
...and under the surface over the course of the next fifty years which do you think is the larger thread?
The house of Saud funded your 911, and associated messes that followed.

You're right. We should kill them all. :tup:

Muddy
06-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Man I don't think that's the answer at all. These people only got aggressive after we started fucking around in their back yards. Installing leaders, exploiting oil, trying to impose our will.

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Man I don't think that's the answer at all. These people only got aggressive after we started fucking around in their back yards. Installing leaders, exploiting oil, trying to impose our will.

I was kidding.

Muddy
06-21-2019, 01:50 PM
I was kidding.

Fair enough. It's hard to tell sometimes with just words on a screen..

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Fair enough. It's hard to tell sometimes with just words on a screen..

Yeah, I know. I gave up trying to tell the difference.

Maybe every time I post something outlandish, I use this :troll: from now on?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 01:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UceGF3M56bE

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 01:57 PM
That was a cool movie. I used to like Bobby DeNiro.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 01:59 PM

I still like him as an actor, as a human being he's a POS.

Muddy
06-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Sometimes I throw this on there because I have had people take some of my crap too literal before.. /s

Muddy
06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

I still like him as an actor, as a human being he's a POS.

Sometimes you just have to appreciate the roles these yahoos play and just keep the relationship only there.. Tom Cruise is another great actor but man when he opens that mouth off screen...

lost in melb.
06-21-2019, 02:08 PM

It suits you!

Hikari Kisugi
06-21-2019, 02:10 PM

I do not disagree, the world is overpopulated, the Thanos snap would have been a good solution, what i truthfully don't understand is why a security agency, hasn't managed to transport some of this nice new wicked ebola into the middle of Pakistan and Saudi, and other such centres, just to allow them to forcefully deal with a cull in their own population herd.
Untraceable.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 02:14 PM
I do not disagree, the world is overpopulated, the Thanos snap would have been a good solution, what i truthfully don't understand is why a security agency, hasn't managed to transport some of this nice new wicked ebola into the middle of Pakistan and Saudi, and other such centres, just to allow them to forcefully deal with a cull in their own population herd.
Untraceable.

The use of biological weapons is prohibited under customary international humanitarian law, as well as a variety of international treaties. The use of biological agents in armed conflict is a war crime. :nono:

:shifty:

lost in melb.
06-22-2019, 02:03 PM
I think Trump should meet with Iranian leaders

DemonGeminiX
06-22-2019, 02:27 PM
I think Trump should meet with Iranian leaders

It wouldn't make any difference. You're talking about a rogue tyrannical regime that started it's rule over it's people chanting "Death to America". Whatever deal that would be made, they wouldn't live up to their end of it. This is a regime that needs to be removed.

Keep in mind, the Iranian people did not choose this regime. It was a forcible take over. They rule by fear and they kill whatever dissidents speak out against them.

lost in melb.
06-22-2019, 02:56 PM
It wouldn't make any difference. You're talking about a rogue tyrannical regime that started it's rule over it's people chanting "Death to America". Whatever deal that would be made, they wouldn't live up to their end of it. This is a regime that needs to be removed.

Keep in mind, the Iranian people did not choose this regime. It was a forcible take over. They rule by fear and they kill whatever dissidents speak out against them.

Yes, that second part is important to bear in mind. Most Iranians are reasonably pro-Western and are meant to be one of the most hospitable people on the planet.

I was just thinking he did OK with N. Korea and there are theories floating around that Iranian government are seeking attention because they want to talk.

DemonGeminiX
06-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Yes, that second part is important to bear in mind. Most Iranians are reasonably pro-Western and are meant to be one of the most hospitable people on the planet.

I was just thinking he did OK with N. Korea and there are theories floating around that Iranian government are seeking attention because they want to talk.

The difference with N. Korea is that Kim isn't his father or grandfather, and Kim's slightly more Westernized than his ancestors were. He wants to be legitimized and he might be willing to play ball to get that. Give it a few more generations, and the world very well may see a reunification with South Korea. This Iranian regime rejects everything Western. They would rather have a worldwide Islamic caliphate that they were ruling over, much like ISIS does. The only difference is, the Iranian mullahs actually have control of a country. The Iranian people are caught in the middle.

Hikari Kisugi
06-22-2019, 04:14 PM
The use of biological weapons is prohibited under customary international humanitarian law, as well as a variety of international treaties. The use of biological agents in armed conflict is a war crime. :nono:

:shifty:

There would be no armed conflict...
Indeed, there would be no conflict at all.
No doubt we'd offer humanitarian aid, as soon as we've stopped all movement from the region.
It isn't a biological weapon, its a human population control device.

Naturally occurring ;) Organic technology based, renewal source, free to the end user....

lost in melb.
06-22-2019, 04:25 PM
The difference with N. Korea is that Kim isn't his father or grandfather, and Kim's slightly more Westernized than his ancestors were. He wants to be legitimized and he might be willing to play ball to get that. Give it a few more generations, and the world very well may see a reunification with South Korea. This Iranian regime rejects everything Western. They would rather have a worldwide Islamic caliphate that they were ruling over, much like ISIS does. The only difference is, the Iranian mullahs actually have control of a country. The Iranian people are caught in the middle.

I'll respond to this in time.

Another thing to consider is that the US did violate Iranian airspace and was detected. Not out of the question...

DemonGeminiX
06-22-2019, 06:26 PM
I'll respond to this in time.

Another thing to consider is that the US did violate Iranian airspace and was detected. Not out of the question...

That's what the Iranians are saying. And they're not exactly known for being stand up guys...

lost in melb.
06-22-2019, 10:01 PM
That's what the Iranians are saying. And they're not exactly known for being stand up guys...

Impossible to tell. But I imagine these drones are designed to be hard to detect. And what is the point of having it offshore??

Hikari Kisugi
06-23-2019, 09:46 AM
https://i.imgur.com/3cSlftW.png

It is one of those things, where the strait is that narrow there are no international waters, it all is claimed by one side of the other.
There are approved shipping lanes for the tankers, one in and one out, to avoid issues and collisions.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2019, 10:12 AM
By Gerren Keith Gaynor | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/lDQScrGl.jpg

An Iranian military official said Monday that Tehran is capable of shooting down more American spy drones as tensions between the two countries continue to simmer, according to a report out of the country.

Rear. Adm. Hossein Khanzadi, Iran's naval chief, said Iran can deliver another “crushing response … and the enemy knows it," according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

Trump called off military strikes against Tehran after Iranians shot down a US surveillance drone, which was valued at over $100 million.

Iran claimed that the drone was flying over its airspace at the time of the shooting. Washington insisted that the drone was over international waters.

In an interview on NBC’s “Meet The Press,” Trump said that he did not think the potential loss of life in Iran was “proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”

Instead of a military strike, the president noted that his administration plans to ratchet up the already hefty sanctions on Iran. Trump is prepared to announce new sanctions on the country on Monday.

Trump expressed his willingness to open talks with Iranian officials without any preconditions – saying that he doesn’t want a war with the Islamic Republic, but if it comes down to an armed conflict it will be “obliteration like you've never seen before.”

The Associated Press and Fox News’ Andrew O’Reilly contributed to this report.

Griffin
06-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Send some MQ-9 Reapers loaded with laser-guided , Air-to-Ground -114 Hellfire missiles to shoot at.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2019, 02:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ww2wR8B.gif

DemonGeminiX
06-24-2019, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2e47wBWTV8

Muddy
06-24-2019, 03:28 PM
:hand: Slayer sucks..!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2019, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGPw_LBiRA