PDA

View Full Version : College student cries 'bias' after receiving hello in Japanese from worker at campus restaurant

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 10:04 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/4g9a0vYl.jpg

A restaurant staffer at the University of Minnesota was reported to the campus bias response team recently -- for the mistake for saying “hello” in Japanese to an Asian-American student.

The greeting by the female employee reportedly confused the student and the staffer then asked the student where they were from. It remained unclear if the employee was Japanese.

“Wisconsin,” the student replied, prompting the employee to laugh it off and wish the student a good day.

But the student was apparently offended by the interaction and urged the campus's bias response team to address such “microaggressions” and other acts of what the student viewed as "implicit bias."

“These type of microaggressions occur too often on campus,” wrote the student who submitted the complaint, the College Fix reported. “This implicit bias needs to be addressed.”

The bias team reportedly acted immediately and referred the incident to the restaurant's management. The student, meanwhile, was referred to the campus “Ethical Advocate Program” in the event if they “want to talk further about the experience.”

According to the outlet, this wasn’t the only complaint to the bias response team in the fall 2018 semester. A total of 51 such complaints was filed by students in that period.

At least 17 of those complaints were filed against the university’s College Republicans, particularly after they gained permission to put up a display reading “Trump 2020” and “Make the U Great Again.”

While at certain higher education institutions, complaints to the bias response teams can lead to dire consequences, the University of Minnesota counterpart doesn’t appear to have taken strict disciplinary actions against the so-called offenders.

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Campus bias response team?

What happened to just cursing the guy out for being a presumptuous asshole?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Someone needs to get woke :roll:

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 11:38 AM
:-s

Who?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 11:41 AM
:-s

Who?

YOU! :x

And that question that you already knew the answer to was a blatant microagression directed towards me! :x

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 11:44 AM
:hand:

I'm not asleep.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 11:56 AM
I think we need a Forum Bias Response Team. :|

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
:-k

To respond to what?

Muddy
06-20-2019, 12:36 PM
I sometimes hesitate to thank the Mexican folk in Spanish in my local Mexican restaurant because of this very thing.. If you speak English as well as I do why would I insult you by speaking to you in a language that neither of us use other than for me to assume you are a Rio-Grande border jumping illegal..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 12:56 PM
If someone gets butthurt because you said 'gracias' to them, then that's there problem. It's not the same thing as walking up to a Native American and going 'how kemosabe' or doing the slanty-eyed thing with your fingers when talking to an Asian.

As this world keeps devolving into butthurt people over the slightest little thing, we soon won't be able to even say any words to anyone for fear of them getting all upset. :roll:

Muddy
06-20-2019, 01:06 PM
If someone gets butthurt because you said 'gracias' to them, then that's there problem. It's not the same thing as walking up to a Native American and going 'how kemosabe' or doing the slanty-eyed thing with your fingers when talking to an Asian.

As this world keeps devolving into butthurt people over the slightest little thing, we soon won't be able to even say any words to anyone for fear of them getting all upset. :roll:

Im not saying anyone was butthurt.. I'm just saying it is awkward to just assume they are a cholo..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Im not saying anyone was butthurt.. I'm just saying it is awkward to just assume they are a cholo..

No, I know what you were saying, I was just adding my additional 25¢ to the subject. The world is becoming filled with people getting offended over every single little thing and it's ridiculous.

DemonGeminiX
06-20-2019, 01:09 PM
The Mexican restaurant I usually go to has bona fide Mexicans working there. Most of them are cool as shit, but I had one waitress that couldn't speak a lick of English. God forbid, I pronounced the name of a dish wrong. I didn't trill my l's enough and I got a lesson in Spanish pronunciations because of it. :lol:

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:12 PM

I always do that when talking to Indians and Asian people :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 04:14 PM
I always do that when talking to Indians and Asian people :lol:

You too?!?!?!?! :shock:

https://i.imgur.com/5RcCISe.jpg

Hal-9000
06-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Usually when I thank them for something :tup:

I bow and do the slanty-eyed thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2019, 04:25 PM