PDA

View Full Version : UK Outlaws Gender Stereotypes in Advertisements

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 11:58 AM
By Phillip Nieto - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/RheK5Ssl.jpg

Featuring advertisements with gender stereotypes to sell products is outlawed in the United Kingdom as of last week.

“Our evidence shows how harmful gender stereotypes in ads can contribute to inequality in society, with costs for all of us, ” said Guy Parker, chief executive of the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). “Put simply, we found that some portrayals in ads can, over time, play a part in limiting people’s potential. It’s in the interests of women and men, our economy and society that advertisers steer clear of these outdated portrayals, and we’re pleased with how the industry has already begun to respond.”

https://i.imgur.com/SDmcplgl.jpg

The ASA issued the ban in December giving companies a six month grace period to adjust to the new regulations. Last week that grace period ended with the ASA issuing a statement outlining the policy of their gender stereotype ban.

A specific definition as to what constitutes a gender stereotype in advertising was not provided by the ASA. Instead they state in broad terms, “Advertisements must not include gender stereotypes that are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence.”

Individual examples where gender stereotyping would be forbidden included the following:

“An ad that depicts a man with his feet up and family members creating mess around a home while a woman is solely responsible for cleaning up the mess.
An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender e.g. a man’s inability to change nappies; a woman’s inability to park a car.
Where an ad features a person with a physique that does not match an ideal stereotypically associated with their gender, the ad should not imply that their physique is a significant reason for them not being successful, for example in their romantic or social lives.
An ad that seeks to emphasise the contrast between a boy’s stereotypical personality (e.g. daring) with a girl’s stereotypical personality (e.g. caring) needs to be handled with care.
An ad aimed at new mums which suggests that looking attractive or keeping a home pristine is a priority over other factors such as their emotional wellbeing.
An ad that belittles a man for carrying out stereotypically ‘female’ roles or tasks.”

The ASA then goes on to cite individual examples where gender stereotypes would not be enforced:

“A woman doing the shopping or a man doing DIY.
Glamorous, attractive, successful, aspirational or healthy people or lifestyles.
One gender only, including in ads for products developed for and aimed at one gender.
Gender stereotypes as a means to challenge their negative effects.”

The ban comes as a result of a study the ASA conducted which concluded stereotypes in advertising can have, “real-world psychological, physical, economic, social and political harm for individuals and groups.”

The ASA received major backlash on twitter with writer Jesse Singal tweeting:
The ASA official Twitter account responded to some of criticisms by individual users whilst defending their decision to implement the ban.
The ASA will now officially begin reviewing any complaints it receives on “a case-by-case basis.”

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 12:36 PM
So much for freedom of speech in the UK.

RBP
06-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Out of control.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 01:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/BHBrFU0.jpg

The New World Order

RBP
06-21-2019, 01:45 PM
The scary part is who is given jurisdiction to determine what is offensive, what is a gender stereotype, and how those decisions can be challenged. This is literally punishing thought crimes.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 01:55 PM
The scary part is who is given jurisdiction to determine what is offensive, what is a gender stereotype, and how those decisions can be challenged. This is literally punishing thought crimes.

I think they will deem something 'offensive' any time someone complains about something. That seems to be the way it has gone in the UK with stories about advertisements that generated complaints in the past.

RBP
06-21-2019, 02:18 PM
I think they will deem something 'offensive' any time someone complains about something. That seems to be the way it has gone in the UK with stories about advertisements that generated complaints in the past.

Even worse. :lol: The vigilante SJW squad, coming the airwaves for something to be offended about.

Hal-9000
06-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Every ad I've seen since returning to commercial TV features women exclusively if they're for cleaning products like mops and kitchen items.

What's wrong with that? :lol:

RBP
06-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Every ad I've seen since returning to commercial TV features women exclusively if they're for cleaning products like mops and kitchen items.

What's wrong with that? :lol:

:patriarchy:

Hal-9000
06-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Lance-BP :lol:

Godfather
06-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Individual examples where gender stereotyping would be forbidden included the following:

An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender e.g. a man’s inability to change nappies; a woman’s inability to park a car.

Isn't this basically the premise of 99% of household product advertising? :lol: Person can't complete a task --> Buy said product to complete said task.

RBP
06-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Isn't this basically the premise of 99% of household product advertising? :lol: Person can't complete a task --> Buy said product to complete said task.

But if you depicted a woman unable to change a nappy, isn't that also a violation?

Godfather
06-22-2019, 07:46 PM
But if you depicted a woman unable to change a nappy, isn't that also a violation?

Clearly. I can't stop noticing that all the fuck-ups in ads these days are white men :lol: Like I've said before, I'll never to pretend to feel victimized as a straight white man, but if you don't see how ridiculous it is that we're the only ones allowed (legally in the UK apparently) to be even jokingly depicted as the dunce, you've got issues.

RBP
06-23-2019, 04:36 AM
Clearly. I can't stop noticing that all the fuck-ups in ads these days are white men :lol: Like I've said before, I'll never to pretend to feel victimized as a straight white man, but if you don't see how ridiculous it is that we're the only ones allowed (legally in the UK apparently) to be even jokingly depicted as the dunce, you've got issues.

Welcome to the party. Glad to have you.

lost in melb.
06-24-2019, 08:04 AM

Whitey cis-males can take it :hand:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRvo33GsSE12pJi49Ej-47WxDB5l73ApyKgvo8e4vXS9a1X1qwj

lost in melb.
06-24-2019, 08:08 AM
The funny thing is minorities can run riot making fun of themselves.