PDA

View Full Version : Walmart shoplifter takes Slidell PD on a high-speed chase because he ‘didn’t know police could follow him to another state…’

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 02:06 PM
By Wgno Web Desk

https://i.imgur.com/C5Hvecj.jpg

SLIDELL, LA – Police arrested a man after he dragged a Slidell Police officer with his vehicle and attempted to run over another officer, after shoplifting from Walmart.

On Tuesday, June 18, Slidell Police were called to the Walmart at 39142 Natchez Drive, about a shoplifting in progress.

There, they found the suspect, 51-year-old Robert E. Myers, of Picayune, Mississippi, attempting to flee the scene.

Two officers approached Myers while he was sitting inside of his 1996 Ford F-150 pickup truck, in the parking lot.

They asked Myers to step out and speak with them, but Myers refused and placed the truck in drive in an attempt to leave.

One officer tried to stop Myers, at which time he was dragged for a short distance through the Walmart parking lot.

The officer was able to release himself from the vehicle and push away to prevent being run over.

As Myers aggressively accelerated through the Walmart parking lot, he attempted to run over another officer, who was able to maneuver out of the path of Myers’ truck.

Other officers responding to the scene spotted Myers on Gause Boulevard as he was attempting to get onto I-10.

Slidell Police officers chased Myers into Mississippi, where he ultimately lost control of his truck on Highway 607.

After the crash, Myers was taken into custody.

Myers told Slidell Police officers that he didn’t think they could chase him into a different state. Police say, Myers was sadly mistaken.

Mississippi Highway Patrol, who assisted Slidell Police during the pursuit, booked Myers for driving with a suspended license, reckless driving, and no insurance.

Once Myers satisfies those charges, he will be extradited back to Louisiana where he will face multiple charges from Slidell Police, including third offense felony theft, aggravated flight from an officer, aggravated battery of a police officer, aggravated assault with a motor vehicle upon a peace officer, no insurance, and driving with a suspended license.

Myers suffered minor injuries during the crash.

No Slidell Police officers were injured during the incident.

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 02:10 PM
:lol:

People get too many bad ideas from TV and the movies.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Like every time the Duke boys would outrun Roscoe and get across the Chocktaw County line....those damn Duke boys! :shakefist:

RBP
06-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Although, I think it's technically correct. My understanding is that they ask the other state to engage and are given permission to continue pursuit, unless a compact is already in place.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 02:22 PM
Although, I think it's technically correct. My understanding is that they ask the other state to engage and are given permission to continue pursuit, unless a compact is already in place.

From a legal blog:

Even in those states that limit the officer’s jurisdiction to city limits, there are exceptions. An officer may always follow a suspect of crime while the officer is in hot pursuit of the suspect. For example, in a Virginia case, an officer witnessed a traffic violation, turned on his lights and slowly followed the suspect out of town. His conviction was upheld on appeal on the ground that the officer was in hot pursuit.

RBP
06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Thanks. :tup:

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 02:30 PM

It's not like the other state's gonna say 'no'. :lol:

My mom worked for GA state law enforcement for two decades here in the border county where we live. To the south of me is Florida. Jacksonville's a hop, skip, and a jump away. Either a perp trying to get to Florida to avoid GA authorities gets chased down by the the county and GA state patrol, or FL highway patrol is waiting for them where they're crossing. It's happened hundreds of times and I've always heard the craziest stories. For the most part, it's just kinda understood between the various LE agencies. If they both catch a perp, they both get to bring charges against him. The state that the perp's caught in gets to file charges first. Runner up gets extradition to file charges once the perp is done with the first state. Double whammy.

They're always working together.

DemonGeminiX
06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
From a legal blog:

There ya go.

Hal-9000
06-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Yeah I'd think it would be a kind of passing-off situation. The original officers wouldn't just stop pursuit at the state line. Wouldn't they wait until another in-state vehicle has joined the pursuit first?

Pony
06-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Yeah I'd think it would be a kind of passing-off situation. The original officers wouldn't just stop pursuit at the state line. Wouldn't they wait until another in-state vehicle has joined the pursuit first?

I think the new state police will take the lead but the original officer continues until the end?

Hal-9000
06-21-2019, 03:37 PM
I think the new state police will take the lead but the original officer continues until the end?

However they handle the baton pass, I'm sure the original state cop doesn't just break off pursuit when he sees the state line if there's no other officers there from the next state.

That would create a huge loophole for bad guys in the know :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-21-2019, 03:39 PM
However they handle the baton pass, I'm sure the original state cop doesn't just break off pursuit when he sees the state line if there's no other officers there from the next state.

That would create a huge loophole for bad guys in the know :lol:

Roscoe P Coltrane knew to break off pursuit at the county line. He knows his duty under the regulations :nono:

Hal-9000
06-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Roscoe P Coltrane knew to break off pursuit at the county line. He knows his duty under the regulations :nono:

:hand: If his car could make the jump, he took it.