PDA

View Full Version : Portland man sees 43rd burglary conviction in nearly 50 years: report

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2019, 10:32 AM
By Bradford Betz | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/j0SqUO1l.jpg

A Portland man on Friday received his 43rd burglary conviction in nearly 50 years, according to a report.

Melvin Lee Tillman, 64, was sentenced 6 ½ years in prison for his conviction of burglarizing 10 local businesses last year, the Oregonian reported. Prosecutors said Tillman might hold the record for being one of Portland’s most prolific property offenders.

“I’ve been a prosecutor here for 12 years and I’ve never seen a defendant with a criminal history as extensive in the property offender realm as Mr. Tillman’s,” Deputy District Attorney Christopher Shull said.

Throughout his career, Tillman has targeted small, independently owned businesses, investigators said. Tillman kept burglarizing to fuel a lifelong cocaine addiction, according to court documents,

Tillman has been sent to prison at least 15 times, according to the Oregon Department of Corrections. A department spokeswoman said he has 53 felony convictions – including 43 second-degree burglary convictions.

Tillman faced up to 25 years under Oregon’s property crime laws, but his sentence was reduced on account of his age and poor health, the Oregonian reported.

Godfather
06-26-2019, 07:19 AM
This is why I couldn't be a cop. I've talked to a guy who did a few years on Property Crimes. They know these guys, they're pros at picking break-ins, but they all have an MO and are dead easy to find. So a B&E is reported, they pretty much know it's one of a couple guys in the city who it could be, figure out which one is in the area, then they go pick them up and book them and they're out before you know it. It's a catch and release game. Most of them are addicts so I guess you need some compassion, but seeing them constantly breaking into people's homes and making them feel unsafe and violated, and then being back at it in a few months? I wouldn't have the fortitude to handle them.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Most of them are addicts so I guess you need some compassion,

Then they should be forced into rehab, you cant just keep letting this shit on the streets.