PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished items

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2019, 03:42 PM
What's everyone's views on buying refurbs? Especially electronics? Supposedly they have been repaired and re-certified to be just as good as new, and usually you save a bunch of money over buying the same thing brand new. Plus most refurbished things come with the same limited warranty you would have gotten with a new product.

Discuss.

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2019, 03:47 PM
It depends on what you buy and where you get it from. In some cases, refurbs go through a more rigorous testing process to ensure functionality and performance, and in other cases, they don't.

I don't have a problem with buying a refurb from Dell (I got a laptop from their Outlet website that works perfectly fine), but I've read nightmarish accounts in other cases with different companies.

Hal-9000
06-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Something keeps me away from buying refurbed electronics. Maybe the idea someone has maybe pooched it once and I'm getting the used rebuild.

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2019, 04:03 PM
I think most refurbs nowadays are something somebody ordered, they got it and it didn't work, so they sent it back and the refurb department figures out which circuit component(s) are defective, they replace it(them), then they go through the testing phase and put it back out to market.

Noilly Pratt
06-27-2019, 04:03 PM
It really depends on the source. I have bought and recommend IBM refurbished laptops from them (Lenovo). I know the multi-step process they go through, and I know they clean the stuff as well and the warranty is good too.

I'd say, phone the company of whatever you are contemplating and ask them their process of refurbishing. If it's some schmuck just doing it, I'd feel better if it was a manufacturer's refurbishment as they have better access to parts, etc.

If it's a computer you're looking at, ask if they have a CompTia A+ certification -- that'll make them sweat! I've got that - it certifies you to repair stuff. Not necessary but it is an accreditation.

I've gone through TigerDirect.ca and got a good DVD player back in the day, as well as a radio from them and it was fine. My latest Lenovo laptop was $330 and I happen to know it was $1200 new. It's about 3 years old. My wife's laptop died after 5 years - motherboard. Would've cost $300 for the parts alone. I got her a basic refurbished one for about $300 which is the same spec and if the Ram or Hard Drive fails, I can put the ones from the old dead one in to replace.

The IBM refurb I got was an ex-lease. This is how goverments have their PCs...about a year after the warranty runs out, they replace and the unit gets resold as a refurbish.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Something keeps me away from buying refurbed electronics. Maybe the idea someone has maybe pooched it once and I'm getting the used rebuild.

I think most refurbs nowadays are something somebody ordered, they got it and it didn't work, so they sent it back and the refurb department figures out which circuit component(s) are defective, they replace it(them), then they go through the testing phase and put it back out to market.

That's how I look at them. It was a product that was DOA for someone. They send it back, and the manufacturer rebuilds it for re-sale.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2019, 04:13 PM
It really depends on the source. I have bought and recommend IBM refurbished laptops from them (Lenovo). I know the multi-step process they go through, and I know they clean the stuff as well and the warranty is good too.

I'd say, phone the company of whatever you are contemplating and ask them their process of refurbishing. If it's some schmuck just doing it, I'd feel better if it was a manufacturer's refurbishment as they have better access to parts, etc.

If it's a computer you're looking at, ask if they have a CompTia A+ certification -- that'll make them sweat! I've got that - it certifies you to repair stuff. Not necessary but it is an accreditation.

I've gone through TigerDirect.ca and got a good DVD player back in the day, as well as a radio from them and it was fine. My latest Lenovo laptop was $330 and I happen to know it was $1200 new. It's about 3 years old. My wife's laptop died after 5 years - motherboard. Would've cost $300 for the parts alone. I got her a basic refurbished one for about $300 which is the same spec and if the Ram or Hard Drive fails, I can put the ones from the old dead one in to replace.

It would be from Amazon, so I don't know if they do their own (possible) or they send it back to the manufacturer (more likely).

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2019, 04:19 PM
It would be from Amazon, so I don't know if they do their own (possible) or they send it back to the manufacturer (more likely).

Amazon will cover the product, the company that refurbs (Dell for instance) is done by a 3rd party. I just bought a couple all in ones and had the convo with Amazon because it looks like its coming from them, until you check out and its from a 3rd party

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Amazon will cover the product, the company that refurbs (Dell for instance) is done by a 3rd party. I just bought a couple all in ones and had the convo with Amazon because it looks like its coming from them, until you check out and its from a 3rd party

Yeah, I just found this on Amazon:

https://i.imgur.com/oSixQ8L.png

Goofy
06-27-2019, 04:54 PM
I bought a refurbed gaming headset through amazon a couple of years back, saved me about £50 iirc and it still works perfectly :) Provided you're getting warranty with it i don't have any problems.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I just found this on Amazon:

https://i.imgur.com/oSixQ8L.png

But "we" isn't necessarily Amazon ;)

fricnjay
06-27-2019, 04:58 PM
If its manufacture refurbished I'm all over it. At that point more often than not its better than new and has the same warranty. My first Marantz Pre/Pro I bought manufacture refurbished over 6 years ago. I have upgraded my home theater since then but I still use it in my living room. :tup:

Muddy
06-27-2019, 05:07 PM
FUCK AMAZON..!!!! :lol:

RBP
06-28-2019, 04:04 AM
I bought my Chromebook from Amazon, refurbished. The first one was shit, but I followed the company's instructions and email recommendations. It didn't change the issue. I had a new one the next day and no cost one the return. The replacement is awesome.

My overall experience has been similar. It is hit and miss, but plan to be picky and immediately handle a defect and you'll be fine.

Godfather
06-28-2019, 04:12 AM
I haven't bought anything major refurbished personally, I'm a bit of a purist, I want shit brand new all for myself :lol:

My dad bought a high end espresso machine refurbished years ago that's amazing though so I'd think of doing that.

One place I've bought from though is Open Box. Nothing really high end but my second computer monitor, and the tv in our second bedroom are from there. They've been great, you don't get a massive savings usually but a decent discount for a product that's supposedly just returned to a big box store like Best Buy and can't be re-sold there.