PDA

View Full Version : Public library cancels room reservation for White Pride group

Teh One Who Knocks
07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
By Winston W. Wiley TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WORCESTER — The library board of directors voted last night to suspend the meeting room reservation privileges of North East White Pride after a video surfaced in which, board members believe, the group is attempting to incite violence at a meeting Saturday.

The video, found on YouTube, announces the group’s meeting at 3 p.m. Saturday and invites people to show up with their bike locks. Board members said the reference is to an assault that allegedly took place on June 4, when about 10 people, some of them masked, barged into a White Pride meeting in the Banx room. One of the intruders was carrying a metal bike lock.

No one was arrested, according to board members, but police did recover the bike lock.

The group has billed the meeting Saturday as part of a monthly “meet and greet,” but library board members said last night the meeting date was never confirmed by the person who initially called to book it. The person wanted to book three dates in three consecutive months, but failed to confirm a date or call back when he was told he could only book one date at a time.

“The goal of the meeting is to establish that White people have the right to meet in publicly available conference rooms without threat of violence from anti-White groups …” the group’s website says. “The library’s staff has repeatedly acknowledged our rights.”

Board members last night decided that in addition to suspending the group’s privileges for 90 days, the board would work to develop a policy for reserving meeting space. They asked Michael Traynor, deputy city solicitor, to research the definition of hate speech. In addition, the Police Department will be asked to look into whether there have been problems with the New Hampshire-based group in other communities.

Kevin Ksen, who attended last night’s meeting, said the issue is that the group promotes violence against other people and groups through its inflammatory speech.

“That’s the conversation we should be having, and why do we want to allow a group of outsiders to come into our community to promote violence?” he said.

Board member Williams S. Coleman III’s subcommittee was given the task of developing a policy for room reservations. He said the committee would hold hearings to solicit input from the public on the policy. The meetings will begin in August, he said.

The white pride group has held about six meetings at the library, beginning in November.

The group first came to public attention in February when it booked a meeting on the same night as a black cultural event.

“It’s the American balancing act,” said Kevin Dowd, president of the board. “We are trying to balance free speech and public safety, and libraries are at the forefront of that.”

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
anti-white groups?

Are Sharpton and Jackson in town again? :lol:

bad hal, bad

PorkChopSandwiches
07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Thats bullshit

Muddy
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Thats bullshit

Why did they say to bring bike locks with them?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Why did they say to bring bike locks with them?

Board members said the reference is to an assault that allegedly took place on June 4, when about 10 people, some of them masked, barged into a White Pride meeting in the Banx room. One of the intruders was carrying a metal bike lock.:huh:

Acid Trip
07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
“It’s the American balancing act,” said Kevin Dowd, president of the board. “We are trying to balance free speech and public safety, and libraries are at the forefront of that.”

Libraries are the battle ground between free speech and public safety?! Are you fucking kidding me!

PorkChopSandwiches
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I didnt even know we had libraries since the internet was created

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
reminds me...

I gotta wash my sheets tonight..

:dance:

Muddy
07-14-2011, 08:49 PM
The last meeting I had at a library almost ended in a fist fight..

JoeyB
07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I like baking soda.

FBD
07-14-2011, 09:18 PM
what I want to know is, what the administrator's choices would have been had the group been islamic. [-(

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
The last meeting I had at a library almost ended in a fist fight..

parent/teacher interviews? :lol:

Muddy
07-14-2011, 10:42 PM
parent/teacher interviews? :lol:

Worse... Home Owners Association...

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
That doesn't sound good..

One day I'll regale you about my bud who's a member of the worst condo association in the world...he gets pretty vocal and is almost blackballed from the meetings...

An example - The units were built when I was 8 and just this year the condo assoc. decide to do upgrades.They left his unit in such bad shape, he called the local news, got on TV and made friends with owners :lol: :lol:

Muddy
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I got a little mouthy and told one of our neighbors he was the single handed reason the rest of the neighborhood had lost the love... :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 10:48 PM
ooooh you gotta live with those people for many years on the block, not good :lol:

Muddy
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
ooooh you gotta live with those people for many years on the block, not good :lol:

Fuck um' man... This guys such a dick... He was holding the whole neighborhood hostage... :lol:

Hal-9000
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
prolly an immigrant from Denver...those guys are a-holes

Muddy
07-14-2011, 11:13 PM
This jerkoff had 1 semester of law classes at a community college, so he thought he was Perry Mason in the meetings... Threatening everyone with lawsuits and such...

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
This jerkoff had 1 semester of law classes at a community college, so he thought he was Perry Mason in the meetings... Threatening everyone with lawsuits and such...

:-k

I had 2 semesters of law classes at a community college and I still threaten people with just a baseball bat.

Muddy
07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
He informed us that he would drop his lawsuit against the neighborhood if we appointed him to the board... :lol:

I was like.... Ok fella... Thaaaaaaats about enough outta you... :)

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Now granted, I don't live in an area that has a Home Owner's Association, but my sister does, and she said that the only people that actually want to be on the board are wanna-be politicians (i.e. worthless sacks of shit).

Do you agree with that assessment?

Deepsepia
07-15-2011, 02:59 AM
I didnt even know we had libraries since the internet was created

yup.

What are they for, at this point?

In my community, there'll be some folks reading kids' books, but everyone else is there for the free wireless.

Now, as community centers still make sense, but the idea of a "public library" has moved on.

JoeyB
07-15-2011, 05:34 AM
and she said that the only people that actually want to be on the board are wanna-be politicians (i.e. worthless sacks of shit).

Yes I agree, all politicians are worthless sacks of shit.

Muddy
07-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Now granted, I don't live in an area that has a Home Owner's Association, but my sister does, and she said that the only people that actually want to be on the board are wanna-be politicians (i.e. worthless sacks of shit).

Not in my neighborhood.. It's only like 90 houses and we just need people to manage the common areas, and handle the grass cutting contracts, and put on a few get togethers once or twice a year... We have a hired management company that actually hands out the "your house is a piece of garbage, please fix it" notices..

Acid Trip
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't decide what's worse, living somewhere with a homeowners association or living in a historical neighborhood. If I want to add onto my house or do any construction work they have to do a public hearing to make sure I'm not tainting the history of the neighborhood.

Nobody will bother you about your grass or having a car parked in your yard but got forbid you want to improve your house!

Muddy
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I like living where an HOA exists...

Hal-9000
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
He informed us that he would drop his lawsuit against the neighborhood if we appointed him to the board... :lol:

I was like.... Ok fella... Thaaaaaaats about enough outta you... :)

extortion (ex-tor-shun) the act of being a knob and threatening to do something, unless you get your way....see - childish fuckwad