PDA

View Full Version : Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection, has emergency surgery after 10 minutes swimming at local beach

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2019, 10:24 AM
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/B8tPGAHl.jpg

A Virginia woman who contracted a flesh-eating staph infection that spread through her leg after just 10 minutes in the water, had to have emergency surgery days later, according to reports.

“I was just like, 'Oh my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,'" Amanda Edwards told WTKR. “That’s the only thing I could keep thinking.”

https://i.imgur.com/q6i0PJJl.jpg
Ocean View Beach

Edwards had been at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week with friends when she noticed the infection spreading. She told WTKR she ignored it for a couple of days until she couldn’t walk anymore.

Finally, she went to the hospital for emergency surgery. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I had to take three antibodies every six hours.”

She said doctors told her the infection may have spread through an open cut in her leg, WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2019, 10:26 AM
By Alexandria Hein | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/Mw7aBw8l.jpg

The final photos of Gary Evans show him holding up two crabs he had caught on a trip to the beach where he was celebrating the Fourth of July with family and friends. But hours later, his wife said he fell severely ill and had to be rushed to the hospital where he was placed in the intensive care unit and treated him for vibrio, which later progressed to a fatal case of necrotizing fasciitis.

“They did everything they could do,” Debra Mattix, the 56-year-old’s widow, told the Victoria Advocate. “He was very, very sick, and it ended up beating him. It spread into his liver, his kidneys and he was on a respirator. It also got into his blood system and started collapsing his veins.”

Mattix, who lived with Evans in Victoria, Texas, said they had visited Magnolia Beach but hadn’t entered the water. She did tell KHOU11 that her husband’s hat blew into the water several times, but that he didn’t have any open cuts or scrapes that she knew of.

“He was in his element there … around everything he loved most — his friends, his family, his crabbing on the water,” Mattix told the Victoria Advocate. “But on Saturday morning, he couldn’t walk. That is how quick it hit.”

On July 8, Evans died at Citizens Medical Center in Victoria.

While the cases of vibrio are seemingly on the rise in southern areas of the U.S., the Victoria Health Department told the news outlet that it had only one other case reported so far this year, with a person contracting the bacterial infection back in April. Officials said it had not received any reports of necrotizing fasciitis.

One doctor told Fox 13 News that he expects the numbers to continue to rise through August when the temperatures are even higher.

“Incidences of infection increase as the waters get warmer and warmer,“ Dr. Matt Swearingen, of Florida Golf Coast University, told the news outlet.

Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Patients become infected by either eating undercooked or raw seafood or by exposing a wound to seawater. Most infections occur between May and October when the water temperatures are warmer.

Vibrio vulnificus infections can lead to the development of necrotizing fasciitis, especially in patients with underlying health issues. But Mattix, who said her husband’s legs had developed pus-filled blisters that required surgery before his death, said Evans was in good health before coming down the infection.

“We got there and they let me know he wasn’t going home; he was going straight into ICU,” she told the Victoria Advocate. “Doctors started treating him for Vibrio, but it wasn’t confirmed until the next day; that is when they said it started manifesting itself.”

Muddy
07-17-2019, 02:42 PM
I wonder what the location of that second article was (other than "Virginia")

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Virginia is Ground Zero.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2019, 03:13 PM
:rip: Muddy

Muddy
07-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Virginia is Ground Zero.

It's a common occurring bacteria or virus or whatever found in most waters that seems to be hurting people that step on dirty stuff in the water and don't clean the wound. Most of the victims that died have either been old or had compromised immune systems. A normal human with a functioning immune system should be able to handle this.

Hal-9000
07-17-2019, 05:02 PM
"...WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water. "

:-k

Muddy
07-17-2019, 05:08 PM
"...WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water. "

:-k

'WTKR' That's down in Norfolk.. Tons of naval bases.. Those places are always toilets..

Hal-9000
07-17-2019, 05:18 PM
I related a story about some Canadian women who went to Jamaica and some walked on the beach without shoes. They developed a parasite that moved under the skin on their feet and ankles and had to be treated. (red and purple lines beneath the skin)

It was a 4 star resort and one woman said she walked across the beach for only 10 minutes, didn't go anywhere near the water and she got the parasite.

What is happening with our beaches and water???

Have you heard about the amount of people dying in the Dominican Republic? They've opened up an FBI investigation because 13 tourists have mysteriously died in the past 2 years.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2019, 05:47 PM
It's the North Koreans