PDA

View Full Version : Missing Canadian men now considered suspects in killings of couple, other man, police reveal

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 09:53 AM
By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/jBsLcYc.png

Two men reported missing in northern British Columbia after their burning truck was discovered last week are now considered suspects in the killings of a North Carolina woman, her Australian boyfriend, and a third unidentified man who was discovered not far from their vehicle, Canadian authorities revealed Tuesday in a dramatic twist.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said at a news conference that Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, from Port Alberni, British Columbia, are the main suspects in the slayings of 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, who were discovered shot to death on July 15 along the side of the Alaska Highway near Liard Hot Springs, British Columbia.

"Our focus, right now, is to locate these two individuals," RCMP assistant commissioner Kevin Hackett told reporters.

RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said the pair have been spotted in northern Saskatchewan, and are believed to still be traveling in a grey 2011 Toyota Rav 4. Shoihet did not have a possible destination for the pair but warned they are believed to be dangerous.

"If you see them, do not approach," she said.

Shoihet said that authorities were now able to identify the two teenagers are suspects based on new leads developed by investigators but did not disclose details.

"This investigation is very complex and very evolving," she said.

McLeod is described as six-foot-four, 169 pounds with dark hair and facial hair, and brown eyes. The RCMP said that Schmegelsky is described as six-foot-four and 169 pounds with sandy hair.

https://i.imgur.com/6ouSTf0.png

Authorities had originally said the pair were traveling to Whitehorse in the Yukon to look for work and had not been in contact with their families for the past few days, police said.

Both were traveling in a red and gray Dodge pickup truck with a sleeping camper that was discovered the following day on fire south of the Stikine River Bridge on Highway 37, about 31 miles south of Dease Lake. Police said it was not clear why they returned to British Columbia and were driving south.

https://i.imgur.com/m69MkuU.png

Authorities released a sketch of the deceased man and asked for the public's help in identifying him. He is described as in his 50s and 60s with a heavy build with a grey beard and grey hair.

https://i.imgur.com/50fHmrV.png

While authorities were investigating the burning truck Friday they discovered a body at a nearby highway pullout. RCMP said that officials were still working to identify the male remains.

The incident came just a few days after the bodies of a young couple were discovered on the side of a highway in northern British Columbia, roughly 292 miles away from where the body was discovered Friday.

https://i.imgur.com/vzTrVCP.png

The RCMP said that 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, were shot to death before their bodies were discovered on the side of the Alaska Highway near Liard Hot Springs on July 15. The couple is believed to have been killed that day or the day prior.

Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler were traveling in a 1986 blue Chevrolet van with Alberta license plates that Fowler had fixed up for the planned through trip Canada before they were killed near Liard Hot Springs, a popular tourist destination. The van is believed to have broken down on July 14 along the Alaskan Highway south of the tourist hotspot.

On Monday, authorities released surveillance video of the couple at a gas station in Fort Nelson on July 13, which shows the pair arriving in the van and staying at the facility for about 17 minutes before leaving.

The RCMP also released a composite sketch of a man who was seen talking to the couple in the evening of July 14 along Highway 97, the road where the couple's bodies would be discovered the next day. The man is described as having darker skin with dark hair, standing shorter than 6ft 3in Lucas, with a possible beard or glasses. He was also driving an older model Jeep Grand Cherokee with a black stripe on the hood.

https://i.imgur.com/kbgr8fJ.png

Shoihet has previously acknowledged it was "unusual" to have two major investigations at the same time in the remote region that sees travelers from abroad in addition to motorists and businesses moving between B.C., Alberta, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon Territory, and Alaska.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
This is a weird one I've been following on the local news.

The couple and some older guy were found murdered on a remote highway and they initially though the two guys were part of the group of missing people.

Now they think the two young guys have been going on a killing spree across provinces. Each guy is 6'4'' and both of them are beanpoles so hopefully someone recognizes them.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:32 PM
I'm just happy that there's a story about possible serial killer(s) in the news and they aren't Americans :cheers:

:lol:

In all seriousness though, this is pretty scary. And you're right, looking at their photos, you would think they would be pretty easy to notice. Of their vehicle was abandoned, they either had to have stolen a new one or they're out on foot?

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm just happy that there's a story about possible serial killer(s) in the news and they aren't Americans :cheers:

:lol:

In all seriousness though, this is pretty scary. And you're right, looking at their photos, you would think they would be pretty easy to notice. Of their vehicle was abandoned, they either had to have stolen a new one or they're out on foot?

This story illustrates how tough it is to be a detective and catch alleged spree killers on the move. BC, NWT, Alberta and now Saskatchewan and Manitoba are all huge provinces with lots of remote areas and roads. We have cut line roads that haven't been used since the 60's. Wide open spaces are great for postcards and camping, not so great trying to find two people.

All they need to do in each instance is just kill a driver, take their vehicle and make sure they at least hide the body fairly well. Like most states we don't have anything stopping us from going into the next province. They could literally be in Quebec right now if they drove 24/7.

Godfather
07-25-2019, 02:56 AM
Really fucked up story everyone here has been following on the news full time like Hal said.

This poor couple, such a sweet looking pair just visiting here and planning to travel the country in their van. The boy's dad is a high ranking police officer in Australia and has been on TV just heartbroken. Awful shit.

I hope they take these two down in a hail of gunfire.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Darren Bernhardt, Laura Glowacki · CBC News

https://i.imgur.com/F8RO42r.png

Police dogs, a drone and heavily armed officers are combing the area around Gillam, Man., as the search for two men wanted on Canada-wide warrants is in full swing.

On Wednesday, police confirmed a burnt-out vehicle found outside the northern town, is the same one driven by two B.C. teens wanted in connection with three homicides in British Columbia, according to the RCMP.

Police continue to scour northern Manitoba for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18.

The men, both from Port Alberni, B.C., are suspects in the shooting deaths of a tourist couple in northern B.C. last week and on Wednesday were charged with second-degree murder of a man whose body was found days later near Dease Lake, B.C.

Police have identified that man as Leonard Dyck of Vancouver. He was found dead on July 19 at a highway pullout about two kilometres from a burnt-out camper truck, discovered the same day, south of the Stikine River Bridge on B.C.'s Highway 37.

https://i.imgur.com/Bq888KF.jpg

McLeod and Schmegelsky's Toyota Rav4 was found on fire on Monday near Fox Lake Cree Nation, about 760 kilometres north of Winnipeg, north of the town of Gillam.

RCMP Cpl. Julie Courchaine said Wednesday police believe the abandoned vehicle was driven by the two men.

Courchaine told reporters in Winnipeg there will be a "heavier police presence" in the Gillam area while investigators continue search for the men, whom police describe as armed and dangerous.

https://i.imgur.com/XT6OfAp.jpg

"These suspects should not be approached," she said.

If anyone does see either man, Courchaine said they should immediately call 911 or their local police service.

"We are investigating all tips and continuing to ask for the public's assistance," Courchaine said.

CBC News has learned of a potential sighting in Split Lake, about 85 kilometres from Gillam, but the RCMP wouldn't say if McLeod and Schmegelsky were actually spotted there.

"The investigation is complex and if we have a confirmed sighting we will let everyone know as soon as possible," Courchaine said.

https://i.imgur.com/CqTQP7r.png

Police dogs have been sent to the area and RCMP say they've set up a road-stop at the intersection of Provincial Roads 280 and 290, leading into Gillam.

"Obviously we are looking at the terrain and you know different routes and what possibly could have happened," Courchaine said.

Officers could be seeing deploying a drone near a wooded area. Vehicles going in and out of the community are being searched.

https://i.imgur.com/hpL5MnE.png

The manhunt has people across northern Manitoba on alert.

Hardeep Sahota, who works in a restaurant at Kettle River Inn and Suites in Gillam, said she typically keeps the back door open for fresh air. Not on Wednesday, however.

"I was thinking maybe they might come from the back, so I just let close the back door. I have to be very careful, because they might be hungry and they will come and eat," she said.

She also had her son-in-law drive her to work on Wednesday, rather than walk as she normally would.

Tristan Schneider and the man he was travelling with were pulled over in the Leaf Rapids area — 325 kilometres west of Gillam — on Tuesday night by RCMP on the lookout for McLeod and Schmegelsky.

"It progressed all the way to me and my co-driver lying face down on the gravel, getting handcuffed [and police] asking where our IDs were," Schneider said.

Police released both men once they confirmed they were not McLeod and Schmegelsky.

https://i.imgur.com/JNIi7FP.jpg

Gillam Mayor Dwayne Forman said it's understandable people are on edge.

"It's an unknown for anyone, as far as whether they [suspects] are or are not in the community," he said.

His advice for residents in the Gillam area is to "stay safe, stay indoors, and if you're travelling alone, I wouldn't recommend it. Travel in groups and keep your eyes open for any suspicious individuals."

Gillam is 55 kilometres southwest of Fox Lake Cree Nation, where the torched SUV was found in bush off Highway 290 — which links the two communities along the Nelson River.

Forman described the region, about 760 kilometres north of Winnipeg, as "all swamp, heavy trees" and sometimes visited by polar bears which, until now, have been the only strangers that have posed any danger.

https://i.imgur.com/xaz2Q40.png

Gillam, which has about 1,200 people, is one of the northernmost towns in Manitoba accessible year-round by road. Many communities in that part of the province are isolated and accessible only by air or winter ice roads.

Forman said McLeod and Schmegelsky face limited transportation routes out of the area, which now has a heightened police presence as RCMP search for them.

"There's only one road in and one road out," he said, adding that if they're on foot, it's challenging terrain.

"It's pretty rugged for them if they're trucking through the tree lines."

RCMP continue to use a check stop at the intersection of Highway 280 and Highway 290, the only road into Gillam.
The Ontario Provincial Police told CBC News they have issued a public safety warning to be on the lookout for Schmegelsky and McLeod but are not actively searching for them.

Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak, an organization that represents northern Manitoba First Nations, warned residents of Fox Lake Cree Nation, a community in the Gillam area, to be on alert.

"I encourage residents in the area of Fox Lake to remain vigilant while the RCMP conduct their search for these two suspects," said Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Grand Chief Garrison Settee in a statement.

https://i.imgur.com/sL6bQKB.png

On Monday, when McLeod and Schmegelsky were still considered missing — one day before the RCMP declared them to be the primary suspects — Schmegelsky's father, Alan, told CHEK News the men considered themselves survivalists.

He said they "liked to go into the woods and play war" and were trained in camouflage.

"If there's any hope that Bryer and Kam are alive, it's because they … would have gone into the woods and they know how to hide, because they've been doing this for the last 2½ years," he said, adding, "They're non-violent, they're good people. Never got in trouble or anything."

https://i.imgur.com/O8zO7wJ.png

Lucas Fowler, 23, an Australian, and Chynna Deese, 24, an American, were discovered gunned down along the side of the Alaska Highway south of Liard Hot Springs, B.C., on July 15.

Four days later, McLeod and Schmegelsky's burnt-out truck was discovered near the community of Dease Lake, more than 470 kilometres away from the first crime scene. The body of an unidentified man in his 50s or 60s was found two kilometres south of that truck.

Police said Schmegelsky and McLeod were later spotted on surveillance video at a grocery store in northern Saskatchewan and believed travelling in the grey 2011 Toyota RAV4.

The RCMP released images from that video Tuesday, showing McLeod wearing a T-shirt with a cartoon image with the caption "a wild Cathulhu appears" and Schmegelsky wearing a camouflage-patterned jacket.

Both suspects are described as 6-foot-4 and about 169 pounds.

McLeod is described as having dark brown hair, facial hair and brown eyes. Schmegelsky is described as having sandy brown hair.

McLeod's dad, Keith, released the following statement on Wednesday, noting he's not ready for an interview, because he's "not able to make it through a sentence without breaking down."

"To all the people who truly care.

"I'm sitting at home worrying about my son. Relentless media hounding us for information that we don't have. This is what I do know — Kam is a kind, considerate, caring young man, always has been concerned about other people's feelings.

"As we are trapped in our homes due to media people, we try to wrap our heads around what is happening and hope that Kam will come home to us safely so we can all get to the bottom of this story."

Hal-9000
07-25-2019, 04:52 PM
Another heartbreaking part of this was the interview with Schmegelsky's Dad. He said his son was introverted, passive and that the RCMP would shoot first and ask questions later.

Then he said my boy will probably be dead within one or two days and no one will ever know why :(

Homicide expert on TV said they have a profile of the two guys. One is dominant, the other is a follower. Reminded me of the Columbine guys in terms of personalities and how they interacted together.

And I hate to say it but if they're following the news, which they have to be, they could turn around and head back west. The RCMP said they anticipate the couple to keep heading east to avoid capture. Wrong thing to say on TV.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Another heartbreaking part of this was the interview with Schmegelsky's Dad. He said his son was introverted, passive and that the RCMP would shoot first and ask questions later.

Then he said my boy will probably be dead within one or two days and no one will ever know why :(

Homicide expert on TV said they have a profile of the two guys. One is dominant, the other is a follower. Reminded me of the Columbine guys in terms of personalities and how they interacted together.

And I hate to say it but if they're following the news, which they have to be, they could turn around and head back west. The RCMP said they anticipate the couple to keep heading east to avoid capture. Wrong thing to say on TV.

Law enforcement is pretty good about watching what they say out to the public. If they said they were expecting them to be going east, that could easily mean they have a task force in the west too, waiting for them to go that way, thinking that they (the suspects) were outsmarting the RCMP.

Hal-9000
07-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Law enforcement is pretty good about watching what they say out to the public. If they said they were expecting them to be going east, that could easily mean they have a task force in the west too, waiting for them to go that way, thinking that they (the suspects) were outsmarting the RCMP.

Good point. I read about how much info homicide detectives release during investigations when they're looking for spree or serial killers. On the one hand they want to alert the public in case someone can help (old school eye witness accounts solve a lot of crimes), and then balance that with trying not to alert the criminal with info that could actually help them dictate their next moves.

Got a lot of respect for detectives :thumbsup: Thankless and horrible job at times.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2019, 05:05 PM
From that map in the graphic, it looks like they're traveling through some pretty remote country. There can't be a lot of stuff up in the northern half of all those provinces. :-k

Hal-9000
07-26-2019, 03:27 AM
From that map in the graphic, it looks like they're traveling through some pretty remote country. There can't be a lot of stuff up in the northern half of all those provinces. :-k

Update tonight on the news said the police think they're still in northern Manitoba. Confirmed sightings from two sources.

And you're right. One of the locals said it's nothing but bogs, forests and swamps up there.

Folks are worried. They've got them keeping children inside and locking doors at all times of day.

I believe the suspect's Dad may be right. They're going to shoot at these guys first if they don't lay down with empty hands.

Godfather
07-26-2019, 06:03 AM
Wow it looks like these psychopath are feeling pretty confident :| Some girl apparently found this selfie they took and posted on social media (unconfirmed but sure looks like him)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">here’s even more evidence that these guys are right wing nuts. The Sun is heavily right wing biased.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canadamanhunt?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Canadamanhunt</a> <a href="https://t.co/YCEpJqjzyT">pic.twitter.com/YCEpJqjzyT</a></p>&mdash; PROTO (@protoxproto) <a href="https://twitter.com/protoxproto/status/1154612679455268865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 26, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Noilly Pratt
07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
I imagine that they can evade capture for a while, given where they hail from. Port Alberni has very remote areas right at their doorstep.

I'm wondering if this is all part of a plan they had, meaning they prepped to keep themselves in the more wild parts of Canada.

I just hope in their capture that they don't take any police officers down in the process.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2019, 11:02 PM
Wow it looks like these psychopath are feeling pretty confident :| Some girl apparently found this selfie they took and posted on social media (unconfirmed but sure looks like him)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">here’s even more evidence that these guys are right wing nuts. The Sun is heavily right wing biased.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canadamanhunt?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Canadamanhunt</a> <a href="https://t.co/YCEpJqjzyT">pic.twitter.com/YCEpJqjzyT</a></p>— PROTO (@protoxproto) <a href="https://twitter.com/protoxproto/status/1154612679455268865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 26, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> Pretty sure she only posted it so she could give her SJW-y take on the whole thing.

Godfather
07-27-2019, 01:52 AM
Turned out to be fake anyways

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Why did these two assholes have to kill innocent people? Why didn't they just hunt down that Yaniv pedophile idiot and kill him instead?

Hal-9000
07-29-2019, 06:33 PM
They were spotted in northern Manitoba, place called York Landing. It's real backwoods up there, total muskeg country. I'm thinking they have to at least have a tent and other equipment, otherwise they can't survive.

And in case you thought our RCMP and military officers were similar to Dudley Do-Right, they wear tactical gear similar to marines and black ops guys.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Scot Billeck - Winnipeg Sun

https://i.imgur.com/pJThayo.jpg

Despite a credible tip that led RCMP to the remote community of York Landing on Sunday, officers have yet to make contact with two individuals matching the description of two fugitives on the run.

RCMP said they searched the area throughout the night and efforts are ongoing to comb the area on Monday after the manhunt shifts about 90 KM southwest of Gillam, where officers had focused their attention for several days. The Royal Canadian Air Force was assisting with the search on Monday.

“Our officers on the ground have not made contact with the individuals and so we’re not yet in a position to confirm these are the wanted suspects,” Cpl. Julie Courchaine said Monday at a press conference at D Division headquarters in Winnipeg.

RCMP said their goal today is to safely apprehend the individuals to confirm their identities. They have told residents of York Landing to remain vigilant and stay indoors as much as possible with their doors locked. If they see anything suspicious, RCMP wants them to call immediately.

“We understand this is a trying time for the community for York Landing and there is a lot of uncertainty,” Courchaine said. “We want to remind residents that we have a lot of police resources in the area and that our priority is their safety.”

By Monday afternoon, RCMP said they had not been able to substantiate the tip in York Landing after a thorough and exhaustive search.

“RCMP resources will continue to be in the York Landing & Gillam areas,” RCMP wrote on Twitter. “We thank the community for their patience & understanding & ask them to continue to be vigilant.”

Officers swooped into York Landing late Sunday afternoon, deploying “multiple resources” following a tip from Bear Clan volunteers in the area who spotted two individuals matching the descriptions of 19-year-old Kam McLeod and 18-year-old Bryer Schmegelsky,

The duo, both from Port Alberni, B.C., has been charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of University of British Columbia professor Leonard Dyck. The Vancouver resident’s body was found on July 19 near Dease Lake, B.C.

The pair is also wanted as suspects in the shooting deaths of American Chynna Deese and her Australian boyfriend Lucas Fowler. Their bodies were found on July 15 along the Alaskan Highway in northern B.C. The two suspects are believed to be behind their murders as well.

Bear Clan executive director James Favel told The Canadian Press Sunday that two men were spotted while volunteers conducted a patrol of the area.

https://i.imgur.com/k6mB3Wb.png

“These two guys definitely stood out,” he said. “These two gentlemen matched the description that they were looking for so they immediately called the RCMP and alerted them to the presence, and now there are all kinds of things happened over there.”

It is believed the suspects stole a vehicle to get from B.C. to Manitoba, a Toyota RAV4 that was found burned out last week.

RCMP said they had a confirmed sighting in Split Lake prior to finding the vehicle, but said they didn’t know if it was different than two previously confirmed sightings of the suspect in the province.

Well over 200 tips have been received and RCMP is wanting any and all information but acknowledged Monday that they have been disrupted by false reports on social media and said they would rather have that information sent to them so they can confirm it.

“It does create issues,” Courchaine said. “So we just want to remind everybody that if there is something you see on social media, contact us, send it to us so we can confirm that.”

Hal-9000
08-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Police announced they've reduced the search resources and people in northern Manitoba are scared.

They might have been spotted in northern Ontario and seem to be traveling in the top areas of the provinces where populations are small.

Cops think they could also be dead due to the areas they've been in.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
There's a distinct possibility they may never be found. Like you mentioned, if they died/soon die somewhere up in that remote wilderness, their bodies may never be found and no one will ever really know what happened to them.

Hal-9000
08-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Also I think they're on the Natural Born Killers projection. If they've already killed one person or three or seven, they may think it's their last summer and not mind dying.

I personally hope a bear wanders into a town somewhere with one of their heads in his mouth.

Worst part about it is if they're able to follow the daily news (phone) they can avoid going certain directions and may have already killed a new person, taken their vehicle and cops just don't know about it yet. Lots of native Indians in northern Manitoba and it's not exactly census country.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2019, 02:12 PM
So many different scenarios that could play out. Unless they are super well equipped (which sounds unlikely), I would wager that they will end up dead. Especially being that far away from civilization. If one of them got seriously injured up there, I doubt the other one would carry him out and take him to a hospital that could be 100's of miles away on foot.

Hal-9000
08-01-2019, 02:16 PM
The only thing keeping the seachers in the hunt are eyewitness accounts. Both kids are 6'4'' and skinny. Soon as they realize they're being seen they could adapt.

And yeah...I could see one guy putting a bullet into the other if he broke an ankle etc.

Godfather
08-02-2019, 03:51 AM
So many different scenarios that could play out. Unless they are super well equipped (which sounds unlikely), I would wager that they will end up dead. Especially being that far away from civilization. If one of them got seriously injured up there, I doubt the other one would carry him out and take him to a hospital that could be 100's of miles away on foot.

I dono if you ever got the show Man Tracker down in the US. It was a decent show. This survival and tracking expert (former cop I think) would have 48 hours to catch two contestants who had to cross difficult remote landscapes to get to an objective. If he tagged them they lost, if they made it they'd win a pile of cash. He didn't know their final objective, he only got to see a flair from their start point a few miles away and was on horseback.

Anyways, they interviewed the guy from that show. Even he was puzzled they haven't found any trace of these kids. He figures either they're long gone, or they're dead in the woods already.

Maybe they'll get mauled by a bear. That'd be neat.

DemonGeminiX
08-02-2019, 05:23 AM
I remember that show.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2019, 07:17 PM
The Canadian Press

UPDATE: 12:05 p.m.

RCMP say they have recovered two bodies believed to be those of the two manhunt suspects.

"The search is over. At 10 a.m. this morning, Manitoba RCMP officers located the bodies of two males, believed to be the B.C. suspects, near the shoreline of the Nelson River," Manitoba RCMP tweeted just after noon.

The bodies, which are yet to be autopsied, were found eight kilometres from the suspects' burned vehicle.

ORIGINAL: 11:50 a.m.

RCMP in Manitoba say they will be making a significant announcement this afternoon regarding two British Columbia murder suspects.

Mounties say they will be making the announcement shortly in Winnipeg.

RCMP said yesterday that they found several items linked to Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod, who are suspects in the killings of three people last month in northern B.C.

Mounties did not say what the items are, but that they were found on the shore of the Nelson River in northern Manitoba.

RCMP searched the river near Gillam over the weekend after a damaged aluminum boat was discovered there Friday.

They said a dive team conducted an underwater search "of significant areas of interest" on Sunday.

The news comes after RCMP said last week they would be scaling back their manhunt in the Gillam area, where a burned-out vehicle the suspects had been travelling in was found.

Godfather
08-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Mantracker called it!

Hal-9000
08-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Mantracker called it!

Were they mauled? I only heard they found two bodies by the river and have to do the autopsies to confirm it's them. Police say they're confident it's those two guys.

Did you see that aluminum boat? Boat sides were folded in and pretty banged up.

Hal-9000
08-08-2019, 03:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mKciFer.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2019, 03:59 PM
WTF did they do to the boat? :-k

Hal-9000
08-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I don't know. I read they found a bunch of items near the shore that may be associated with the killers and then found their bodies about a kilometer away.

Kilometer is less than a mile and my detective self says finding both of them dead is odd if it was a bear or drowning.

Hal-9000
08-08-2019, 04:07 PM
The burning of vehicles is a sign they didn't really understand how forensics worked. They assumed burning stolen cars would cover any evidence of them, yet it's like someone who cleans an entire room with bleach. It creates a huge red flag for investigators.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2019, 04:10 PM
The burning of vehicles is a sign they didn't really understand how forensics worked. They assumed burning stolen cars would cover any evidence of them, yet it's like someone who cleans an entire room with bleach. It creates a huge red flag for investigators.

*CSI Team enters room*

CSI #1: Woah, do you smell that? This whole place smells like a bleach factory. Do you think they tried to cover something up?

CSI #2: Nah, probably just neat freaks or a germaphobe. Nothing to see here, let's get outta here. :dunno:

Hal-9000
08-08-2019, 04:41 PM
*CSI Team enters room*

CSI #1: Woah, do you smell that? This whole place smells like a bleach factory. Do you think they tried to cover something up?

CSI #2: Nah, probably just neat freaks or a germaphobe. Nothing to see here, let's get outta here. :dunno:

Think of the burned vehicles as well.

RCMP find abandoned vehicle - Was it stolen by the suspects or someone else?
RCMP find the second burned vehicle - Our suspects were just here..

Godfather
08-09-2019, 05:23 AM
Were they mauled? I only heard they found two bodies by the river and have to do the autopsies to confirm it's them. Police say they're confident it's those two guys.

Did you see that aluminum boat? Boat sides were folded in and pretty banged up.

I don't know how they died, I just say Mantrack called it because he figured they were probably already dead as they wouldn't survive in those woods long. They only made it 8km from where the burned out car was found. I'm betting drowning seeing that boat, that's an unforgiving river. We'll hear soon enough, but my money is on drowning or perhaps suicide.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 10:32 AM
by Alberto Luperon - Law & Crime

The father of a dead murder suspect in Canada balked at acknowledging if his son was a killer, and actually commended the teen and co-suspect after they managed to evade detection.

“I’m not going to say my son is a murderer until I get some facts,” Alan Schmegelsky told 60 Minutes Australia in a new report. “You want me to sit here and tell you that my son positively murdered your co-citizen? Because I won’t. Because I can’t. I can’t do it.”

His son Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and the teen’s friend Kam McLeod, 19, were wanted in three homicides in British Columbia. The bodies a young couple–Australian Lucas Fowler, 23, and North Carolina native Chynna Noelle Deese, 24–were found dead in a remote area in the middle of last month. A few days later, authorities found the body of botanist Leonard Dyck, 64, about 292 miles away, and just over a mile away from a burnt out vehicle previously driven by McLeod and the younger Schmegelsky, said the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The two teens were soon wanted in all three deaths. Two questions pervaded the case: 1) Where were the suspects? 2) If the allegation were true, then why would they kill three police they’d apparently never met before? Cops said on Wednesday they recently found bodies apparently belonging to the duo thousands of miles east in the province of Manitoba. Autopsy results are pending. Police continue to investigate motive, but even a spokesperson has said that we may never know why this happened.

Before they were announced as suspects, Alan Schmegelsky told CHEK his son and McLeod were traveling to find better-paying jobs. In speaking with 60 Minutes some time after, he responded to a then-current report that the duo went unrecognized while driving through a roadblock. At the time, it seemed like his son was still alive.

“These boys are smart,” he said. “They’re intelligent. Kudos, boys. Kudos. Kudos.”

Through the interview, he continued to push back on the murder allegations, insisting they were only accused, and that “nobody knows what happened out there.” He described the suspects as “little boys.”

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2019, 11:50 AM
No parent wants to admit that their child could commit this horrible of a crime.

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
He's not wrong. Until police release details that prove those two committed the murders they were only suspects.

Dad should not have commended them though. He seemed sketchy to begin with and is altogether enjoying his 15 minutes too much. Most parents don't want to be interviewed in a time like this.

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2019, 09:43 PM
The authorities have stated that the autopsy found that they died by self-inflicted gunshots... they committed suicide.

KevinD
08-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Did they have dirt on the Clinton's?

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2019, 05:00 AM
:rimshot:

Hal-9000
08-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Fitting end for these morons. Too bad they had to destroy the lives of three families to get money and vehicles for 'their cross country adventure'.