PDA

View Full Version : Macy's ripped for line of 'body-shaming' plates

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
By Hayley Rieman | FOXBusiness

https://i.imgur.com/qfYNI93l.jpg

Macy's Opens a New Window. recently pulled a series of dishes off their shelves that were allegedly promoting body-shaming.

“We apologize to our customers for missing the mark on this product,” Macy’s said in a statement.

The dishes feature three circles: The largest one called "mom jeans," the middle called "favorite jeans" and the smallest called "skinny jeans."

The plates caused an outcry on social media Opens a New Window. , with some saying the dishes encouraged people to have a bad body image and would lead to unhealthy eating habits, while others weren't as insulted.

One Twitter user said: "How can I get these plates from @Macys banned in all 50 states."

Macy's responded to Ward by saying "Hi Alie -- we appreciate you sharing this with us and agree that we missed the mark on this product. It will be removed from all STORY at Macy's locations."
Another person said: "And you wonder why people hate their bodies. Cool @Macys so glad you can support a toxic body shaming culture."
On the other hand, many were not bothered by the plates.

One person said: "Scary that humorless people can succeed in Macy's removal of a product from 50 stores. Don't have to buy them, that's all! This is a dangerous trend. "Body shaming"? Please, those were fun plates, different, even helpful. Shame on Macy's for caving. Wow, what's next. @Macys."
Another wrote, "I'd totally use these plates from @Macys... why's everyone so sensitive though?!"

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2019, 03:23 PM
the horror

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 03:24 PM
When exactly did every single person's sense of humor die?

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:13 PM
There's a lot of truth to those plates and the measurements :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2sjRxkZ.png

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:20 PM
And you know that everyone who complained fills their plate to the Mom jeans line :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:23 PM
It's the goddamn patriarchy :x

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:25 PM
That plate didn't make your ass look like a hippo sweetie...it was all of those Cheetos and soda you inhaled at the trough

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:33 PM
That plate didn't make your ass look like a hippo sweetie...it was all of those Cheetos and soda you inhaled at the trough

:triggered:

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:42 PM
:triggered:

Flap those flabby arm wings Dumbo...fly away and be freeeee! :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Flap those flabby arm wings Dumbo...fly away and be freeeee! :dance:

https://i.imgur.com/r0fXL4q.gif

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/r0fXL4q.gif

I finally saw that clip the meme comes from and the very first thing I thought of was she is creating some pretty strong wind currents around her :lol:

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 04:54 PM
She probably burned upwards of three calories during that demonstration :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 04:58 PM
She probably burned upwards of three calories during that demonstration :lol:

Her friend complained to the college about the person that filmed it:

My name is Jennie Chenkin. I am a junior at Hampshire College majoring in political theory and conflict resolution.

On Monday night, I attended the event “The triggering” at UMass with several friends in protest of the event. Within five minutes of sitting down, a woman who identified herself as a journalist with Campus Reform came over to my friend Cora Segal (who has been cc’ed on this email) and I and asked if she could interview us about our protest. We denied her request for an interview and did not consent to be filmed, to be quoted, or to have images of us published and shared on the internet — we learned yesterday that the journalist took it upon herself to secretly record video of us and post it on the internet accompanied by harassing and humiliating comments. The journalist’s name is Kassy Dillon and she is a Mount Holyoke sophomore.

Yesterday, a video was published on youtube and on Campus Reform of my friend yelling at the panelists. Kassy Dillon, via Campus Reform and twitter, has taken responsibility for filming and distributing this video without the consent of the individual who is pictured in it (see attached images). The video has received hundreds of thousands of views, has been shared by the panelists themselves, and has been featured on the front page of Campusreform.org. The video and accompanying article are harassing, humiliating, and libelous in nature and the bullying is continuing to get worse the more it’s shared. Again, I stress we denied her request for an interview, did not speak with her beyond denying the interview, did not know we were being filmed, and certainly did not fill out any paperwork declaring any form of consent to be filmed or to have that film published.

I demand that disciplinary action be taken against Kassy Dillon, who has decided that cyberbullying and libel are okay and are more important than journalistic integrity and human decency. I demand that Kassy Dillon be made to remove the humiliating youtube video and Campus Reform article from the web. I demand that Kassy Dillon issue a public apology to the person whose face she has now plastered all over the conservative web and who is now being bullied and shamed. I would like a mediated meeting with Kassy Dillon to address concerns with her directly and discuss any issues that may become relevant. I demand that Kassy Dillon be prohibited from publishing anything further about the protests which took place at “The triggering”, the people who participated in the protests, and this complaint which has been issued against her. And lastly, on the basis of engaging in cyberbullying and libel, I request that Kassy Dillon be prohibited from writing or publishing for Campus Reform or any other Mount Holyoke-affiliated publication. I expect a response detailing what action will be taken against Kassy Dillon for her blatant disrespect of Five College community members. I will wait until 10 AM on Friday, April 29, and if I do not receive a response, I will take my complaint to to a person of higher power within the Mount Holyoke institution. I am already involved in a legal process through Hampshire to get my own name erased from a similarly harassing site following this “Triggering” event at UMass; please be advised that I am more than happy to direct the individual who Kassy Dillon has cyberbullied to the same offices I have gone through to pursue legal action against harassment and the republishing of information without consent. I sincerely hope my friend Cora won’t have to go through this cumbersome process, but that may be her only choice if Mount Holyoke does not condemn the recent atrocious behavior of Kassy Dillon.

While I understand and respect the right to free speech as protected by the United States Constitution and the free expression policies throughout the Five Colleges, the action taken by Kassy Dillon is harassment, humiliation, cyberbullying, libel, and demonstrates disregard for another human being who just happened to have opinions that were unpopular in that room. Again, I demand that Kassy Dillon be made to remove the humiliating youtube video and Campus Reform article from the web. I demand that Kassy Dillon issue a public apology to the person who she has chosen to harass and humiliate. I would like a mediated meeting with Kassy Dillon to address the harm she has caused and work through any other relevant outstanding issues. I demand that Kassy be prohibited from publishing anything further about “The Triggering”, the protests, the protestors who attended, and this complaint about her behavior. On the basis of engaging in cyberbullying and libel, I request that Kassy Dillon be prohibited from writing or publishing anything for Campus Reform or any other Mount Holyoke-affiliated publication in the future. And I will be escalating these demands if I do not receive a response by 10 AM on Friday morning. I take humiliation and intimidation of this caliber very seriously and I hope Mount Holyoke College does as well.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jennie Chenkin

On behalf of Cora Segal

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 05:15 PM
I'm a little divided on that. Part of me agrees that people have to gain consent to post any video or pictures of another person on the internet. My niece posts whatever she feels like on Facebook including some of our private family gatherings and I take issue with it. I unfriended her on Facebook because of it (we're fine, no hard feelings because of it).

Freedom of your Speech doesn't include using someone else's image. I believe it can be dangerous as it exposes the person to other potential issues from online stalkers/predators.

On the other side of the fence our entire internet holding tank is plum full of exactly that. Someone filming someone else and then they become memes.

One example is a poor guy from a few years ago who had his picture taken wearing a black shirt. Someone yoinked it and photoshopped everything from I Love Dick to racist comments.

Funny at first sure, but what happens to people who get those 15 minutes of fame?

The triggered girl is an extreme example. We have a smiley of her :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2019, 05:18 PM
I agree with you in part, but legally (at least in this country) the courts have said that once you are out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, so unless you are trying to financially profit off of someone that you filmed/photographed out in public, there's not much the 'offended' party can do. I guess that's the price of living in a world where 99.99% of everyone has a phone with a camera on it.

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 05:23 PM
I agree with you in part, but legally (at least in this country) the courts have said that once you are out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, so unless you are trying to financially profit off of someone that you filmed/photographed out in public, there's not much the 'offended' party can do. I guess that's the price of living in a world where 99.99% of everyone has a phone with a camera on it.

I read something about if the person posted the image or vid of themselves, it becomes fair game. If someone takes a picture of you shopping and posts without your permission, you may have a case against them. They didn't talk about financial gain or not.

Recently we had a Dad who posted a cute video of his four year old son trying to play hockey and falling everywhere, making some funny comments (I'm ok, I'm ok! :lol:)

I guess Trump's son used a picture of the guy's son from the video as some sort of point for his political fodder.

Dad was alerted, Dad got pissed and responded directly to Trump's son saying don't use my kid's image for your political issues. Trump junior didn't respond but the tweet vanished instantly.

Hal-9000
07-24-2019, 05:25 PM
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-man-calls-out-eric-trump-for-tweet-that-used-son-s-image-1.4513064