PDA

View Full Version : AOC supports the 'decolonization process' of Puerto Rico following governor's resignation

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2019, 10:14 AM
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/KpCOsqb.jpg

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., expressed support for the "decolonization process" of Puerto Rico following the announced resignation of its embattled governor, Ricardo Rosselló.

In an Instagram livestream on Thursday night, Ocasio-Cortez took questions from her followers. The first asked how she felt about what's happening in Puerto Rico.

"First of all, I am so incredibly proud of everyone in Puerto Rico right now demanding accountability from their government," Ocasio-Cortez began. "They were so relentlessly creative in their protest that they were able to get the governor to finally resign as well as some of his cabinet members."

Ocasio-Cortez, who is of Puerto Rican descent, then suggested the island's independence from the United States.

"I'm really proud of everyone that's out there, but of course there's a lot of work to be done," Ocasio-Cortez continued. "This is just the beginning of a decolonization process, a process of self-determination where the people of Puerto Rico begin to start taking their own self-governance into their own hands."

She added, "So I'm really excited about the protest, I'm excited, I'm encouraged to hear about Ricardo Rosselló's resignation, but it's also just a first step. We have a long way to go."

Thousands of Puerto Ricans took to the streets after online chats from Rosselló and other top officials that mocked women, gays, political opponents, and victims of Hurricane Maria were leaked. Rosselló's administration is also being investigated for alleged corruption by Puerto Rico's Department of Justice.

RBP
07-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Oh sure, that will help.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Oh sure, that will help.

Colonial! :x

Pony
07-26-2019, 10:39 AM
Oh sure, that will help.

Receiving support and aid from The Empire is the cause of ALL their problems.

Muddy
07-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Bye, bitch..!

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Ocasio-Cortez, who is of Puerto Rican descent, then suggested the island's independence from the United States.

She thinks it's a mess there now, can you even imagine what would happen if it became independent and it's own country? :facepalm:

Muddy
07-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Im sorry to say this, but colonialism is the one reason that place is not a shit-hole like every other caribean island down there. Puerto rico would be nothing more than a 3rd rate Cuba.. She's just another young and ignorant dreamer.

Griffin
07-26-2019, 02:39 PM
Maybe she should move there and be Emperor.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Maybe she should move there and be Emperor.

Dictators all call themselves 'el Presidente' in Latin America :nono:

Godfather
07-27-2019, 02:00 AM
I've never heard Puerto Rico be referred to as 'colonized' before. Is this a common sentiment down there? What are the Cole's notes on this, if they don't like being a territory, do they want independence or to be a fully American state?

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2019, 06:25 AM
I've never heard Puerto Rico be referred to as 'colonized' before. Is this a common sentiment down there? What are the Cole's notes on this, if they don't like being a territory, do they want independence or to be a fully American state?

It depends on who you ask. When you look for information, the results are ridiculously confusing. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is an unincorporated US territory. We have several of those. They're only partially covered by the US constitution. What parts they're covered by is the question. They can't vote in US elections, but they don't pay federal taxes either. The people, technically, are US citizens (by an act of Congress passed in 1917), but they also have an independent national citizenship of their own (which that 1917 act affirmed). They can renounce their US citizenship, but still vote in Puerto Rican elections. So they're both US citizens and independent Puerto Rican citizens. They have their own constitution, and technically, their own nationality (they're Puerto Ricans). I think they passed a law down there recently that stated if a US citizen moved to Puerto Rico, then that US citizen becomes a Puerto Rican citizen. I believe the UN considers them an independent Caribbean nation (not that what the UN thinks actually matters), but if you asked the Puerto Ricans themselves, you'd get varying answers. Some want to maintain current status, others want to become the official 51st state of the US, and some want to cut all ties and become an independent nation. I can't speak to percentages because polls are wildly inaccurate.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think we went through this whole spiel before Hawaii and Alaska became US States too, so maybe PR will become a US state and be happy about it? I believe we went through this whole spiel with the Philippines (they used to be a US territory too) before they became an independent nation, so maybe not?

RBP
07-27-2019, 01:33 PM
I've never heard Puerto Rico be referred to as 'colonized' before.

That's where Columbus landed. There are Cristobal Colon statues all over the island. I don't think it's locally offensive at all.

https://i.imgur.com/i6AOjyp.jpg

Where is it offensive? Only on the US mainland, where we can't celebrate Columbus Day because an Italian dude landed on a Caribbean Island and apparently then somehow slaughtered the natives on the mainland 2200+ miles away... or something.

lost in melb.
07-29-2019, 12:40 AM
Surely Puerto Rico would be better off incorporated? Her thinking is bizarre.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2019, 03:33 PM
She is a genius, you guys cant understand

Muddy
07-29-2019, 05:55 PM
She is a genius, you guys cant understand

She can tie a cherry stem in a knot with her teeth and tongue.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-29-2019, 06:51 PM
She told me chocolate milk comes from brown cows