PDA

View Full Version : A deadly mosquito-borne virus that causes brain swelling in humans has been detected in Florida

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 11:05 AM
By Michelle Lou, CNN

https://i.imgur.com/U18UsZK.jpg

(CNN) - Florida health officials are warning of an uptick in a mosquito-borne virus known as Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE).

Several sentinel chickens tested positive for EEE, which can spread to humans via infected mosquitoes and cause brain infection and swelling, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County said in a Thursday statement. Sentinel chickens are fowl that are tested regularly for the West Nile virus and EEE. Their blood can show the presence of the diseases, but they don't suffer from the effects of the viruses.

Following the positive tests for the sentinel chickens in Orange County, the health department said "the risk of transmission to humans has increased."

Only about seven cases of the EEE virus in humans are reported in the US each year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

However, the disease can be fatal: about 30% of people who contract it die, according to the CDC. Many survivors have ongoing neurologic problems.

People develop symptoms about 4 to 10 days after they are bitten by an infected mosquito, the CDC says. Signs include sudden onset of headache, high fever, chills and vomiting. More severe symptoms include disorientation, seizures and coma.

With summer in full swing, mosquitoes are buzzing around at peak populations. Officials warned people to avoid being bitten by draining standing water around their homes, covering skin with clothing or repellant, and using screens to cover doors and windows.

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Yep, I'm not going outside.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Go outside :x

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2019, 11:50 AM
:hand:

No way dude, I don't want my head to explode.

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 04:53 PM
:-k

Story about the young kid in Florida who attacked a couple in their garage one night, stabbing and trying to chew their faces off.

Cops arrived and it took four of them to subdue the kid.

Suspected bath salts and drug tests came up negative. I think the kid had part of one drink in his system as earlier he been out for dinner with some family members.

I wonder...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Mosquitos in my town have tested positive for west nile :roll: Lovely

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 06:06 PM

We've had that problem in Colorado now for years.

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Apparently we had west nile virus in the skeeters, lyme disease from ticks, some other pathogen in small animals like skunks and rabbits,

and recently a guy in BC died of fucking RABIES from a bat bite....

we have so many forested areas and trees ticks are pretty commonplace so now I just never leave the house :(

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Apparently we had west nile virus in the skeeters, lyme disease from ticks, some other pathogen in small animals like skunks and rabbits,

and recently a guy in BC died of fucking RABIES from a bat bite....

we have so many forested areas and trees ticks are pretty commonplace so now I just never leave the house :(

We have lyme disease ridden ticks here too. And some of them carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever too. We get the occasional rabies scare and the prairie dogs here carry bubonic plague, but it's rare that people get bitten from one of them.

Outside is definitely overrated.

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:11 PM
We have lyme disease ridden ticks here too. And some of them carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever too. We get the occasional rabies scare and the prairie dogs here carry bubonic plague, but it's rare that people get bitten from one of them.

Outside is definitely overrated.

Bubonic plague...

ffs okay you win :lol:

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:17 PM
When I lived in Banff for a time we had onsite staff housing that were small cabins in the woods. Real rustic and real cheap. Bats were often found in the rafters of our cabins at night and we had to shoo them out.

So one day we're outside playing Drunken Overhand Horseshoes. Our staff accommodations were located in primeval forest away from the resort we worked at.

We all go inside and sit around a table playing cards. My friend was petrified of ticks and made us do the Tick Check! ..which amounted to rubbing our hands all over our heads and shoulders.

He does it and a little bug falls onto the table. It's a tick :lol: My buddy shrieks like a woman who used Krazy Glue instead of Vagisil and runs around hands in the air while leaving the cabin.

I go to press down on the tick and find it's totally hard and crunchy, like a bone. Those little fuckers are tough :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 06:22 PM
When I lived in Banff for a time we had onsite staff housing that were small cabins in the woods. Real rustic and real cheap. Bats were often found in the rafters of our cabins at night and we had to shoo them out.

So one day we're outside playing Drunken Overhand Horseshoes. Our staff accommodations were located in primeval forest away from the resort we worked at.

We all go inside and sit around a table playing cards. My friend was petrified of ticks and made us do the Tick Check! ..which amounted to rubbing our hands all over our heads and shoulders.

He does it and a little bug falls onto the table. It's a tick :lol: My buddy shrieks like a woman who used Krazy Glue instead of Vagisil and runs around hands in the air while leaving the cabin.

I go to press down on the tick and find it's totally hard and crunchy, like a bone. Those little fuckers are tough :lol:

:lol:

Ticks are so fucking nasty

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2019, 06:24 PM
https://source.colostate.edu/plague-riddled-prairie-dogs-a-model-for-infectious-disease-spread/

Prairie dogs and the plague, welcome to the Middle Ages in Colorado :lol:

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:26 PM
I've spent a lifetime going hiking and to parks without ever wearing a hat or putting on Deet.

now I'm thinking Hazmat suit just cutting the back lawn or weeding the garden :lol:

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:27 PM
https://source.colostate.edu/plague-riddled-prairie-dogs-a-model-for-infectious-disease-spread/

Prairie dogs and the plague, welcome to the Middle Ages in Colorado :lol:

I had no idea :lol:

That's probably because of the fucking anti-vax prairie dog parents! :x

Hal-9000
07-30-2019, 06:35 PM
I related a story from that book where Douglas Preston the author (Relic novel that was turned into a movie) went to an unexplored section of Honduras and used Lidar to map the jungle floor in search of an ancient city. Well they found it, and four of the expedition members also became infected with a parasite that was similar to the flesh eating disease bacteria.

Long one short, most of them will have the parasite for life and treatment for it was a real horror show taking months.

It was the reverse of when Europeans brought Small Pox to the new world and natives here died from it because they had no immunities.

They figured the parasite (that lives in sand fleas which are everywhere down there) had never been encountered before. The only visitors to the region before Preston and the gang was Cortes back in the 1500's, where the original legend of the lost city came from.