PDA

View Full Version : Police shut down girls' lemonade stand

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
The girls had been operating for one day
The Associated Press

MIDWAY, Ga. (AP) — Police in Georgia have shut down a lemonade stand run by three girls trying to save up for a trip to a water park, saying they didn't have a business license or the required permits.

Midway Police Chief Kelly Morningstar says police also didn't know how the lemonade was made, who made it or what was in it.

The girls had been operating for one day when Morningstar and another officer cruised by.

The girls needed a business license, peddler's permit and food permit to operate, even on residential property. The permits cost $50 a day or $180 per year.

One girl, 14-year-old Casity Dixon, says the three had to listen to police and shut down.

The girls are now doing chores and yard work to make money.

Hal-9000
07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
ffs here we go again

:wavey:

JoeyB
07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Man, that's fucked up.

Loser
07-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Don't ya just love cock suckers? cause that's what I would of called these two pigs.

JoeyB
07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't ya just love cock suckers? cause that's what I would of called these two pigs.

I pay a lot of attention to everything you write, because I'm stalking you, and it seems to me you hate cops and are desperate to be arrested.

Loser
07-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I pay a lot of attention to everything you write, because I'm stalking you, and it seems to me you hate cops and are desperate to be arrested.

Au contraire, my father is a retired 32 year veteran officer and the majority of people I am good friends with are either state, county, or local cops.

It's the common consensus, amongst the older cops, that the majority of newer cops, say under 5 years of duty, are assholes for no other reason than they can be.

As the old guard start to retire, these newer cops take over, and their asinine behavior is just compounded as time goes on. Notice all the bad press on cops lately? There's a reason why. ;)

Also, whilst you stalk me, can you grammar check me? I've been trying to keep my grammatical errors to a minimum. :P

MrsM
07-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Thats a little excessive

JoeyB
07-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Au contraire, my father is a retired 32 year veteran officer and the majority of people I am good friends with are either state, county, or local cops.

It's the common consensus, amongst the older cops, that the majority of newer cops, say under 5 years of duty, are assholes for no other reason than they can be.

As the old guard start to retire, these newer cops take over, and their asinine behavior is just compounded as time goes on. Notice all the bad press on cops lately? There's a reason why. ;)

Also, whilst you stalk me, can you grammar check me? I've been trying to keep my grammatical errors to a minimum. :P

I read that.

I'm watching you.

Always.

Always. Except when I go to the fridge for a snack, you're on the honor system then.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I saw a story on the national news about this last night....a quick update brings good news. One of the local news stations stepped up and gave the three girls free tickets to the water park after covering the story. :)

KevinD
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, let's bust up all these criminal lemonade stands. Oh but we can't do anything about the crack house around the corner..

JoeyB
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, let's bust up all these criminal lemonade stands. Oh but we can't do anything about the crack house around the corner..

"The girls had been operating for one day when Morningstar and another officer cruised by"

Maybe we just need to get the cops to drive by the crack houses. Apparently, that's how it works.

All jokes aside, what sort of douchebag cops would drive past a group of kids selling lemonade and think 'this shit has to be stopped'?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2011, 10:56 PM
"The girls had been operating for one day when Morningstar and another officer cruised by"

Maybe we just need to get the cops to drive by the crack houses. Apparently, that's how it works.

All jokes aside, what sort of douchebag cops would drive past a group of kids selling lemonade and think 'this shit has to be stopped'?

On the report I saw on the news, the police chief made sure to say that they didn't know what was in the lemonade or how it was made. :|

Next thing you know, if a kid wants to set up a lemonade stand, they'll need FDA permits and onsite inspectors :roll:

Leefro
07-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Right I am moving there and starting up a stall so I can afford a Lamborghini

Will I get one if I get arrested

AntZ
07-17-2011, 12:33 AM

True that!

I was a Sheriff reserve 20 years ago, even then, we would discuss the issue when I was in the academy. After I left the reserves, I was stopped a few times for various vehicle related issues with my work vehicle and personal vehicle. The older officers were always professional and friendly. ALL the younger officers were ALWAYS arrogant and sometimes confrontational! I also have family that are active and or retired cops and C.H.P's

JoeyB
07-17-2011, 04:24 AM
On the report I saw on the news, the police chief made sure to say that they didn't know what was in the lemonade or how it was made. :|

Next thing you know, if a kid wants to set up a lemonade stand, they'll need FDA permits and onsite inspectors :roll:

I saw that. I think people know it's not 'factory direct' when you buy lemonade from a kid, and knowing that, why would the public need to be 'protected'?. Whatever happened to common sense?

True that!

I was a Sheriff reserve 20 years ago, even then, we would discuss the issue when I was in the academy. After I left the reserves, I was stopped a few times for various vehicle related issues with my work vehicle and personal vehicle. The older officers were always professional and friendly. ALL the younger officers were ALWAYS arrogant and sometimes confrontational! I also have family that are active and or retired cops and C.H.P's

Two or three years on and I'm STILL a bit pissed about the cop who refused to shake my hand when I presented it, AFTER I waited a long time in sun and heat to give a statement for an accident I witnessed. All guys know what an insult it is to refuse to shake someone's hand.

Shouldn't cops be pleased when people go out of their way to give statements?

Godfather
07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
True that!

It's funny... I know three people who are working to become police officers.

They aren't bad people. They have likeable sides to them. But they're shit disturbers who I can see very easily abusing their power. Two of them especially are the type who like to say little jabby comments to just to get under your skin. They love to get a rise out of people and have problems with their egos.

Maybe that's just the type of crowd police work is attracting these days :wha: I can think of several friends who are extremely calm, logical, honest, tough but fair handed. They would make excellent policemen I think. But they have no inclination to.

Loser
07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Saw this, it needed to be posted :lol:

http://i56.tinypic.com/13ygmld.jpg

Hal-9000
07-21-2011, 06:33 PM
we need a gif with the little lemonade kids getting riddled with bullets :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
stupid

Hal-9000
07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
:|

ok, no bullets...maybe the kids getting handcuffed?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
http://www.cartoonaday.com/images/cartoons/2011/07/illegal-lemonade-stand-598x532.jpg

Hal-9000
07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
:thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Deals getting sweeter for lemonade girls
Lemonade company offers free product, permit funding
Danielle Hipps - The Coastal Courier

http://i.imgur.com/gXxTm.jpg

The Midway girls whose lemonade stand was shut down by the police two weeks ago are riding out a tide of attention.

“I’m surprised that it went this far,” said Kasity Dixon, 14. As the Courier first reported July 6, Kasity, her 10-year-old sister, Skylar Roberts, and their cousin, Tiffany Cassin, were told to shut down their front-yard lemonade stand after two days in business. The girls had been trying to earn money for a trip to Splash in the Boro Waterpark.

After the Courier first reported the news, Savannah ABC affiliate WJCL picked up the story and it since has been flung into the national media spotlight with footage of the girls splashed across CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.

And the girls’ mother, Amy Roberts, said she would tell her story again.

“My whole thing with even telling my story in the Coastal Courier was just to see other people in the area’s opinions. I had no idea that it was going to go this far — none,” she said.

“I told my story, and I told it honest, and the girls told their story, and it was honest, and (Morningstar) told her story, and it was honest,” Roberts said, referring to the Courier’s previous account.

Speaking on behalf of the city of Midway and its police department, Mayor Clemontine Washington issued a written statement in response to the Courier’s inquiries Tuesday.

“In these times, it often seems that common sense is trampled upon by ‘following the regulations’ or ‘following the law.’ As mayor of this great city, I took an oath to follow the law,” she wrote. “Know that I will not be silent about the right of the citizens of the city of Midway to pursue their unalienable rights.”

Washington has conferred with the city attorney and asked that he review the city ordinance and the actions taken by the Midway Police Department, she wrote.

“I have also instructed him to attempt to determine all of the facts from both sides prior to any decision by the mayor and council,” she added. “Based upon his findings, I will take the appropriate action so that we may bring closure to an unfortunate situation.”

As the story picked up attention Friday afternoon, a man from Fox’s New York City office called and asked the Roberts if he could arrange an interview with the girls.

“When the guy from Fox called me, I was completely dumbfounded,” Roberts said. “He asked to fly us all to New York and I told him that I had to work the next day. It wasn’t until I got off the phone with him that I realized what it meant.”

Once Roberts realized that the request was for a national television spot, she said the entire family was elated. Instead of flying the family to New York, the network ended up providing transportation for Roberts, Skylar, Kasity, Tiffany and Tiffany’s mother, Alicia Mixell, to Atlanta, where they appeared via satellite on Saturday morning’s “Fox and Friends.”

Skylar, Kasity, Tiffany and Roberts were featured in a three-minute, 10-second segment at about 9:20 a.m. Saturday. In interviews with the Courier, each of the girls admitted to feeling nervous and excited.

“When we walked in that Fox studio, their eyes just lit up,” Roberts said. “It was so cute.”

“Well, I thought it was a dream at first,” Skylar said about finding out she was going to be on TV. “My cousin, Tiffany, and my sister, Kasity, were happy about it.”

She has not yet received feedback from her friends, but Skylar said she hopes that no one thinks she, Kasity and Tiffany are crazy.

“That was probably the most nervous thing I’ve ever done,” Roberts said. “It’s really, really hard to talk to a camera with nobody standing there, having to just look straight forward and listen in your earpiece as you look off in space, talking.”

Since the story landed on TV screens, the girls have received an outpouring of support, with donors contacting both the Coastal Courier and WJCL hoping to help the girls get to Splash in the Boro.

“I can’t even count the amount of comments and responses,” Roberts said.

The family has accepted a total of eight tickets to the water park, four from WOAH 106.3-FM and four from WJCL.

Another donor offered the girls a weekend stay at Wilderness at the Smokies, an indoor/outdoor water park resort in Sevierville, Tenn.

“We thought it was a fun story, and we wanted to help in some way,” said Shane Rhyne, digital strategies manager for Ackermann Public Relations, which represents the water park. Though Roberts has emphasized in interviews that she wanted to teach the girls how to earn their money, Rhyne said the effort was noble enough to merit the reward.

Roberts is unsure yet whether she will accept the donation, she said.

Another business, Calypso Lemonade, has offered to supply the girls with a stock of lemonade to sell and a week’s worth of merchant licenses, according to Chris Selinger, area manager for the Southeast.

“We’re a small, Midwestern-based company, and this is what America’s about — it’s people helping people,” he said. “What better way to come into the Savannah market than with these girls as ambassadors for our product?”

The company is slated to introduce its products, which includes 13 flavors of lemonade, to the Savannah market in the beginning of August, he said. He hopes that the girls can begin selling their eight flavors — old-fashioned lemonade, peach lemonade, triple melon, strawberry lemonade, blue raspberry, tropical mango, black cherry and kiwi — in advance of the Savannah roll-out.

“What really touched us the most is you’ve got young, teenage girls that are out there in the heat of the summer, trying to earn money … we just wanted to show them that hard work pays off,” he said. “These are the kind of girls who are going to be in the boardrooms of America in the next 20 years, and we just want to make sure they have a great taste in their mouths.”

One thing Roberts knows is that she does not want to accept cash, she said. She’s considering telling insistent donors to share their money with the Liberty Humane Shelter instead.

“I know they could really use it, and my kids both love animals — and I’d rather people just send their money straight there if they’re insisting on donating something,” she said.

Muddy
07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
That was a long ass article Lance, On and On and blabh blah blahb... Anyway.. Looks like they won in the end..

Goofy
07-21-2011, 08:27 PM
That was a long ass article Lance, On and On and blabh blah blahb... Anyway.. Looks like they won in the end..

:lol: I got bored halfway through and scrolled down to see what users comments were :lol:

Muddy
07-21-2011, 08:32 PM
That journalist must have had a certain quota of words to meet... :lol: