PDA

View Full Version : What's your idea of a good holiday/vacation.....?

The Monk
02-14-2011, 04:25 AM
I would dearly love to visit UK and all the places seen on TV shows.

e.g.:

The villages in Midsomer Murders
The town used in Heartbeat
The Cornish Coastal areas (Doc Martin)

I would like to take a narrow boat as far along the Thames as possible.....:yup:

ItsBlondie
02-14-2011, 04:37 AM
I did Hawaii last year for the fourth time.

I need something new, yet domestic.

I want to keep the money here. :)

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey, ItsBlondie!

:wavey:

My idea of a good holiday/vacation would be going somewhere I've never been to before with my friends, just having a good time. There's a lot of different places in the US where you can do that, and they don't really have to be "resort" locations. You just have to know what's there to enjoy and enjoy it.

Of course, if roller coasters are involved, that's a plus.

:mrgreen:

MrsM
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Right now - I would love to go somewhere warm. A nice private beach where I can catch some sun and swim. I'm not up for a busy vacation visiting or seeing sites. Just beach, bare, beer, husband and good food

Noilly Pratt
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
A narrow boat sounds nice and lazy.

I love camping, and in our province (BC) you can drive 5 hours away, go to the Okanagan and have desert hotness in the summer. Or drive a few hours more and touch a glacier(!)

We've always wanted to go to Hawaii...Where do you recommend ItsBlondie?

Vixen
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
As the one in a lifetime kinda holidays Canada to see the family my husband has never met and it would be nice to drop in on Hal, then onto Boston to see a good friend there and Califonia to see Ski, finally down to Mexico to visit Mo......unlikely to ever happen unless we had a serious windfall like a lottery win.

Other than that I'd much rather holiday in the UK as we have some beautiful areas, yeah the weather can be a bit shit but in my experience you make what you want of a holiday regardless of the weather.....besides which I'm a redhead and naturally pale and I go this lovely shade of lobster red in the sun so sun worshipping holidays are just not a good idea for me :lol:

Noilly Pratt
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
What province is the Canadian family at, Vixen? Just wondering if they're close, as Godfather and I live in Canada, too.

redred
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
i think i found my idea of a good holiday last year and it's only about 1/2 hour from my house ,it's some woodland campsite that you can have open fires drink local cider ,no phone signal and just enjoy the country side in a tent with my family we went there for a lot of weekends last year

Vixen
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
What province is the Canadian family at, Vixen? Just wondering if they're close, as Godfather and I live in Canada, too.

now you've got me....I always struggle to remember this :oops: I think it's Toronto they're in, I'm not entirely sure as I've personally not spoke with them much, I know it's his great uncle and his family that are out there.

Starchild
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm off to a my usual villa in Spain for a couple of weeks in June. I just want to kick back on holiday so the villa is ideal. We have our own pool and can do as much or as little as we like AND it's nice and hot out there too :)

The Monk
02-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Another "wish" holiday for me would be to retrace the footsteps of the Top Gear crew when they did their motorcycle thing through Vitenam.....

redred
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Another "wish" holiday for me would be to retrace the footsteps of the Top Gear crew when they did their motorcycle thing through Vitenam.....

that would be a good one

Noilly Pratt
02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm off to a my usual villa in Spain for a couple of weeks in June.

I did that one year. A friend was renting a villa in Malaga and said "I have a whole wing of the place with no one occupying it, why not when you're in England get a cheap flight down".

What a nice, relaxing vacation. We went one day and visited where they filmed all of those Clint Eastwood westerns in Cordoba. The next we went to Gibraltar. The next we went down to the caves when it got really hot. Then, I helped him with his business -- antiques -- and went shopping for antique desks.

Loved the fact that once you buy a bottle of wine in one particular restaurant, they keep it coming until you're practically legless!

Noilly Pratt
02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I really want to go to Hawaii - never have been. And I also want to go back to England to see the relatives again. Pity that my bank account doesn't support any of this and I have a car that's falling apart. Trips will have to wait for another year.

The Monk
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
One day I'd like to be a "Gray Nomad" and have a caravan to tour around Australia for a year or more.....

http://www.caravansalesdirect.com.au/images/DSC03861.jpg?570

Foxdana
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
My dream holiday would be to visit Japan! I've always wanted to go. If not, to go on an Alaskan Cruise!

The Monk
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
The Alaskan cruise would be marvellous.

The Monk
02-28-2011, 04:15 AM
I'd also like to return to Tasmania for a prolonged period to see the things I missed when I broke my leg there last visit.

Griffin
02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I enjoy getting out and seeing as much of the National,State, and Provincial nature areas.
So we pick a destination, load up this beast (http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/johng52/vacationPictures342.jpg), and just go.
Over the years I've covered nearly all the contiguous states, the lower part of Manitoba. and Ontario from Thunder Bay to Niagara falls.

redred
02-28-2011, 12:00 PM
My dream holiday would be to visit Japan! I've always wanted to go.

me too :tup:

Binky
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Amsterdam might be fun :dance2:

Hugh_Janus
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
anywhere where there's lots of history and places I can have a good nose around some old buildings and shit 8-)

Godfather
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty easy... for me something as simple as going camping with a few friends and a case of beer a hundred kilometers away is the makings of an amazing weekend!

History is my major in college too so anywhere I can go where I can do some exploring and real 'traveling' as opposed to 'vacationing' is a great holiday. Europe is my favorite place for that, there's just SO many layers of history. From the WWII battlefields to 12th century medieval stuff it's all stuff I'm really passionate about

But if you've been to an all-inclusive you probably agree there's really no way to relax more than when you have all your meals and booze pre-planned :lol: Swim-up bars and full meals available 24 hours a day. These places usually are on the ocean, and also have 12 pools, spas, restaurants etc etc etc. Camping and traveling are great but All-Inclusives make you feel like a king for a week. Hard to top that :thumbsup:

I wish Hawaii did the all-inclusive thing, then you could surf too... but I guess you can't get away with paying people 1$/day anywhere but the worst countries. That's why when you're a hotel in Mexico, a few dollar bills in your hand let you cut to the front of any line for beer. Makes you feel kinda wrong when you leave the hotels and drive through some really poor towns... but in reality, I think the tourism brings in better jobs than if these places were without.

Southern Belle
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Warm beaches are my favorites. My husband will be here for a week in May. I think we'll stick close to home but may go to Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia for a day trip. I've also been thinking about going down to the Santee Lakes and renting a ponyoon boat for a day. He's not into camping but the have nice cabins to rent.