PDA

View Full Version : Denver area residents concerned about plague as open spaces close

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 10:25 AM
BY KEAGAN HARSHA - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/m5vjgwjl.jpg

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — There hasn't been a lot to cheer about this season for Colorado Rapids fans, and just when you thought it couldn't get worse it has, because signs now greet fans at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, warning of the plague.

Justin Paul does love soccer, but he does like exploring the open space and the Rocky Mountain National Wildlife Refuge and Arsenal next to the stadium. Those areas are now all closed due to plague concerns.

"I was definitely worried," Paul said. "I come here sometimes and I'm an outdoors guy. I get bites and they don't really worry me up until now."

First Creek DEN Open Space has now been added to the list of areas closed to the public because of plague concerns. That list also includes the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, the Prairie Gateway Open Space, and fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Plague fears are also on the minds of some parents. There are several neighborhoods just a few blocks away.

"We have between 8 and 10 kids playing all over the place, cats, dogs," said Ben Ayluardo, a father who lives in the area.

However, Ayluardo and many other parents say they aren't overly worried and aren't changing their routines, partly because the plague is no longer the danger it was centuries ago.

"People hear the word plague and it can be a scary word if you don't understand it," said Gilbert Cazier, with the Tri-County Health Department.

Cazier has fielded several calls from concerned residents, but said the risk to humans is minimal, and if you do get the plague, it can be treated with antibiotics.

Regardless, he and others have been working around the clock to treat prairie dog holes with insecticide, trying to kill the fleas that transmit the disease to animals and possibly humans.

Many are cautiously optimistic the open spaces and fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park will be able to reopen soon.

A three-day Phish festival is set to be held at the stadium Labor Day weekend, and hundreds of concert goers typically camp in the fields surrounding the stadium.

The Tri-County Health Department will be monitoring the situation weekly.

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2019, 11:42 AM
:-k

Celebrity news?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
:-k

Celebrity news?

¿Que? :-s

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2019, 11:54 AM
:slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 01:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/fGHOjGK.jpg

Here's a photo of Denver.

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2019, 01:45 PM
:nono:

That's not accurate. There's not enough drug addicted hobos, Hispanics, and SJWs in there.

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 03:09 PM
"...if you do get the plague, it can be treated with antibiotics."

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 03:18 PM
I think the biggest issue is getting it diagnosed correctly, because in the early stages, it would probably appear as though you have the flu or just a really bad cold.

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 03:24 PM
The article is pretty vague concerning how the disease is spread and which animals can contract it, other than the one sentence about prairie dogs having fleas.

Smart people would create a vaccine :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Probably never be a vaccine for it because it wouldn't be cost effective. The plague is only around in so few areas, like medieval Colorado, so they'd need to charge like $150,000 per dose to recoup their R&D money :lol:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Probably never be a vaccine for it because it wouldn't be cost effective. The plague is only around in so few areas, like medieval Colorado, so they'd need to charge like $150,000 per dose to recoup their R&D money :lol:

Yeah but don't they figure in the loss on the other side?

Denver guy - Kof koff koff...hello boss? I can't come in today because of the plague...koff.
Boss - Take all the time you need. AND DON'T COME BACK :shock:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-12-2019, 03:45 PM
They claim they have already started detecting bubonic plague in the rats found in the homeless encampments.... yet LA refuses to do anything about them. Can wait for people to start dying

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 03:48 PM
They claim they have already started detecting bubonic plague in the rats found in the homeless encampments.... yet LA refuses to do anything about them. Can wait for people to start dying

Transmitted by fleas that all animals can carry. I'd be careful petting good ol Shep once this thing really gets rolling.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 03:59 PM

:woot: Denver isn't alone :cheers:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 04:05 PM
Have to talk to Trudeau about putting up a southern wall :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Have to talk to Trudeau about putting up a southern wall :-k

We'll just use a rat/prairie dog launcher :tup:

:catapult:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Reminds me of the great movie Flesh and Blood :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the 21st century, where killer diseases from the 13th century make a comeback :tup:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 04:11 PM
A little leeching and rose water and you guys are good! :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 04:13 PM
What about colloidal silver? :-k

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 04:22 PM
What about colloidal silver? :-k

Stop with the cures from the 1600's Future-boy :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 04:26 PM
:sad2:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 04:31 PM
It's good to hear the Bubonic Plague can be cured with antibiotics. But weren't the symptoms absolutely horrible like big lesions that eventually turned black?

Yep, just read Wiki. Symptoms start with the chills and end with gangrene to various parts of the body causing necrosis turning the sites black. I won't post the picture :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 04:53 PM
It's still getting it diagnosed early enough for the antibiotics to be effective. The early presenting symptoms are similar to what a bad cold of the flu would feel like, so I don't know what the 'point of no return' is before the antibiotics will no longer work and you are gonna rot from the inside out :lol:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 05:06 PM
It's still getting it diagnosed early enough for the antibiotics to be effective. The early presenting symptoms are similar to what a bad cold of the flu would feel like, so I don't know what the 'point of no return' is before the antibiotics will no longer work and you are gonna rot from the inside out :lol:

:lol:

Yeah it starts with slight fever and/or chills...the two symptoms that could be associated with 88726258968599215 diseases and conditions.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 05:13 PM
And you thought I was kidding when I brought up the plague a few weeks ago :lol:

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 05:20 PM
And you thought I was kidding when I brought up the plague a few weeks ago :lol:

No I did a quick google while reading your comment and understood in the moment it was real :lol:

ffs...bleeding from the eyes, mouth and anus. Oops, guess we went a lil past the time antibiotics could be used.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0d8kpybVg

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 05:40 PM
There's a Chicken Little article that says if we ever let something like the plague (or ebola) go unchecked, because of the amenities of our modern world it may be something we can never recover from.

eg Person gets on an airplane with two hundred people, that plane debarks and there's connecting flights at a large airport/not everyone goes to a doctor during the onset of symptoms/some people are naturally immune and just carry the disease without knowing.

The model used said within 30 days we could lose millions of people before containing the outbreak.

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 05:42 PM
And containment would be nasty. They would cordon off areas to die without treatment and stop all contact and communication with them.

:lol: keep a happy thought

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2019, 05:42 PM
I've always thought that what will kill the human race won't be war or anything like that, it will be a virus or bacteria.

Hal-9000
08-12-2019, 05:46 PM
I've always thought that what will kill the human race won't be war or anything like that, it will be a virus or bacteria.

I think that's a very real possibility. Just look at what the enlightened parents of 2019 are doing with measles and polio.

Takes a century of science to eradicate a disease and one year of common people shouting they know more than people with medical degrees.

We're closing down schools ffs because morons don't 'believe' in vaccinations.