PDA

View Full Version : Used CPUs

DemonGeminiX
08-22-2019, 03:47 PM
:-k

Has anyone here ever purchased a used processor? Was it a good deal?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-22-2019, 03:58 PM
I would be suspect, but I guess if they can be tested. Just seems you would never know the stress and cycles put on it and it could go bad at any time

Pony
08-22-2019, 11:06 PM
I updated an old pentium socket 775 PC with a used core2duo chip. Ran fine for a number of years, currently is sitting due to an unknown issue.

I would guess that most PC's that end up being parted out were due to a virus or hard drive failure and the people just decided to but new instead of getting the old fixed. If the price is right I'd bet you could get some life yet out of a used one.

lost in melb.
08-23-2019, 01:26 AM
:-k

Has anyone here ever purchased a used processor? Was it a good deal?

Plenty of times. Yes, it's fine. Sometimes a good way to get a boost without having to upgrade everything else.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2019, 01:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogb7zYm6r5A

Godfather
08-30-2019, 03:00 AM
That vid is a great answer... I'm actually tempted to buy used now since I'm looking at building a new PC :lol:

If you don't want to watch the entire vid, I'll break down the really good points:
1) You won't get a great deal if you want a very new model, fairly obvious
2) Consider buying from a source online that is selling a lot of the same part (i.e. a company that wholesale buys commercial computers and sells components), so you feel you'd have a good shot at an exchange if you fire it up and it's dog-shit
3) Make sure your MOBO can handle the CPU you're shopping for.
4) If you want a really killer deal, potentially look for local listings where people are selling whole systems and don't really know/care what the components are, to your advantage. There are some great deals out there on whole systems for sale from sellers who don't realize what they're doing. Bring a monitor, meet somewhere safe and check the entire system before buying.