PDA

View Full Version : Is dodgeball a competitive sport or a 'tool of oppression,' as Canadian researchers found?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Nicole Brady - Denver Channel 7

https://i.imgur.com/TwEkfuX.jpg

DENVER — We all remember playing dodgeball in school, and like any sport, some people enjoyed it more than others. But is that the same as sanctioned bullying?

In June, Canadian researchers presented a report calling dodgeball a “tool of oppression” that shouldn’t be played in school.

Denver7 is taking a 360 look, getting perspectives on dodgeball from a dodgeball game organizer, a psychologist, a gym teacher and a 10-year-old girl playing dodgeball for the first time.

Meet. Play. Chill. organizes recreational games and sports for adults, including dodgeball. Owner Mike Ross says there’s no reason kids shouldn’t also play.

“Our matches are only about 45 minutes, but by the end of it everybody’s sweating, everybody’s drenched and had a good time,” he said at a recent match.

Ross says dodgeball isn’t just about hurling a ball — that there’s strategy and teamwork involved.

But Shawn Worthy, a professor at Metropolitan State University of Denver says dodgeball does have some characteristics that could lead to bullying.

“It’s one of the few sports where individuals are targeted with something, with an object,” he said. “You can choose teams, where it’s one side against the other side, and the other side may be people who are less desirable,” he added.

Worthy doesn’t believe dodgeball needs to be banned, but says kids should be allowed to opt out.

It turns out few metro area schools even play dodgeball because it’s not approved by the Society of Health and Physical Educators .

Denver Public Schools said in a statement, "Dodgeball is an activity in which the sole purpose is to eliminate players by hitting them with an object, which is not conducive to a safe social emotional environment for students.”

At Everitt Middle School in Wheat Ridge, physical education teacher Brad Hull tries to promote positive competition. He arranges team sports with smaller groups to give kids who aren’t as skilled a chance to play. He also changes rules in games to promote teamwork rather than scorekeeping.

“My main philosophy as a P.E. teacher is to promote lifetime activities they can participate in for a lifetime,” said Hull.

Then there’s Emily Anderson. She doesn’t play dodgeball in school, but she enjoyed the friendly game with Meet. Play. Chill. She says in her school they’ve talked about bullying, and standing up for others.

“If someone’s lonely, if it’s a new kid, at least reach out and ask if they want to play, or if they want a friend,” she said.

Goofy
08-29-2019, 12:35 PM
:yawn:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 12:35 PM
:yawn:

Stop oppressing me! :x

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2019, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSHWEVRBdQ

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 01:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqrCA1mAKY

These are the kinds of INCLUSIVE games they should be playing at schools around the world :nono:

Goofy
08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
Stop oppressing me! :x
:slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 01:11 PM
:slap:

HATE CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!! :freakout:

Hal-9000
08-29-2019, 03:59 PM
I can still hear that sweet pink-ball noise after it nails some small kid in the head...TOOOOING! :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 04:02 PM
I can still hear that sweet pink-ball noise after it nails some small kid in the head...TOOOOING! :thumbsup:

CANADIAN researchers said the game is oppressive, so wipe those memories mister or I'm reporting you to your human rights tribunal :nono:

Hal-9000
08-29-2019, 04:12 PM
CANADIAN researchers...

They were the small, slow kids that always got hit. Of course they created a study against it. They all have pink-ball permanent marks on their oversized foreheads.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2019, 04:14 PM
They were the small, slow kids that always got hit. Of course they created a study against it. They all have pink-ball permanent marks on their oversized foreheads.

:triggered:

Hal-9000
08-29-2019, 04:17 PM
:triggered:

I can see the permanent mark on your noggin from the valve on the ball :tup:

Goofy
08-29-2019, 04:19 PM
:lol:

Godfather
08-30-2019, 03:38 AM
You go ask 8th graders what they think. I'm betting 90% of them say it's one of their top 3 favorite games in gym class :lol: I loved dogeball. We played co-ed rec league dodgeball in college and it was a blast. Great game. STFU Canadian researcher.

Hal-9000
08-30-2019, 04:57 PM
You go ask 8th graders what they think. I'm betting 90% of them say it's one of their top 3 favorite games in gym class :lol: I loved dogeball. We played co-ed rec league dodgeball in college and it was a blast. Great game. STFU Canadian researcher.

When you hit some kid in the bag we all laughed, even the kid with tears in his eyes :lol:

lost in melb.
08-30-2019, 08:53 PM
What about Share Ball? The idea is that everyone gets a fair turn holding the ball :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2019, 09:06 PM
What about Share Ball? The idea is that everyone gets a fair turn holding the ball :dunno::ghey:

lost in melb.
09-01-2019, 12:35 AM
:ghey:

:-k

What about Fair Ball? Everybody gets a ball :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2019, 01:26 AM

What about Fair Ball? Everybody gets a ball :dunno::gay:

Hal-9000
09-03-2019, 04:29 PM

What about Fair Ball? Everybody gets a ball :dunno:

*holds lost down and gives him a snakebite, pink belly, noogies to the head, purple nurples, a giant wedgie exposing leg holes of the underwear and then throws the pink ball at his head*

TOOOING TOOOING TOOOING!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2019, 04:40 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
09-03-2019, 04:56 PM
My version of the participation ribbon :lol: