PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Money, ‘Two Tickets to Paradise’ Singer, Dies at 70

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 02:28 PM
By SHIRLEY HALPERIN - Variety Magazine

https://i.imgur.com/ZwkYQcm.jpg

Eddie Money, the prolific singer and songwriter whose songs “Baby Hold On,” “Two Tickets to Paradise,” “Shakin'” and “Take Me Home Tonight” soundtracked popular music in the 1980s, died Friday (Sept. 13). He was 70.

A statement provided by his family reads: “The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning. It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”

Money recently revealed that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer.

A reality television series about Money and his family, “Real Money,” had aired on AXS TV starting in April 2018. It chronicled his life at home and with his family, revealing his health struggles.

Money made his home in the Bay Area where he performed at the city’s clubs regularly. A star of MTV’s formative years, during which he starred in a series of comedic music videos, he saw major chart success with such songs as “Baby Hold On” and “Two Tickets to Paradise” and in 1986 “Take Me Home Tonight”, a duet with Ronnie Spector, which was a radio hit. He was signed to Columbia Records and released 11 albums throughout his career.

Developing…

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU-KVObNEd4

This is my favorite Eddie Money song...

:rip:

Muddy
09-13-2019, 02:58 PM
That sucks.. I love Eddie Money..

Good song, Lance.

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I think of Eddie Money like Joe Walsh. Both are talented performers who make funny faces (check out Eddie at :14) who will never be like other 'performers' who tend to rely on their looks instead of their talent (I see you DGX).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcD_dVcXE4

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 03:59 PM
And what's interesting is that he really hit it 'big' during the dawn and heyday of MTV, where looks were a big thing because of the newfangled 'music video'.

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 04:02 PM
A song like Take Me Home Tonight is so iconic. Same with Two Tickets to Paradise.

Performers and artists today only wish they could write something (original) like that and have people instantly react to it ...35 years later.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 04:15 PM
A song like Take Me Home Tonight is so iconic. Same with Two Tickets to Paradise.

Performers and artists today only wish they could write something (original) like that and have people instantly react to it ...35 years later.

90% of the crap that's popular now won't even be remembered 5 years from now. Nobody writes their own music, hardly any of them can play an instrument. And a good portion of them can't even sing well live, only in a studio where they can 'polish' the recordings. People may dog someone like Taylor Swift, but she writes ALL her own music, she can actually sing, and she plays multiple instruments.

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 04:18 PM
90% of the crap that's popular now won't even be remembered 5 years from now. Nobody writes their own music, hardly any of them can play an instrument. And a good portion of them can't even sing well live, only in a studio where they can 'polish' the recordings. People may dog someone like Taylor Swift, but she writes ALL her own music, she can actually sing, and she plays multiple instruments.

I watched an admitted shit cover band called Precocious (young girls..) butcher Carry on my Wayward Son...but you know, I still got that old timey feeling of how cool. These teens are attempting to cover a song from 30 years ago and I instantly identified with it. Butcher is a strong word. The guitarist is actually going to be a great player some day I think.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 04:24 PM
I watched an admitted shit cover band called Precocious (young girls..) butcher Carry on my Wayward Son...but you know, I still got that old timey feeling of how cool. These teens are attempting to cover a song from 30 years ago and I instantly identified with it. Butcher is a strong word. The guitarist is actually going to be a great player some day I think.

You mean no one is picking up a guitar and covering the Spice Girls? :shock:

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 04:34 PM
You mean no one is picking up a guitar and covering the Spice Girls? :shock:

Probably ironically...

You don't check out my cover song thread? There's a disproportionate amount of old, white guys covering certain songs. I lost my shit when 5 of them do guitar or base covers for The Go-Go's, We Got The Beat :rofl:

Muddy
09-13-2019, 06:13 PM
I like 'Baby hold on'.. (among others)

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2019, 06:29 PM
:rip:

I think of Eddie Money like Joe Walsh. Both are talented performers who make funny faces (check out Eddie at :14) who will never be like other 'performers' who tend to rely on their looks instead of their talent (I see you DGX).

:-k

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

:thumbsup:

Muddy
09-13-2019, 06:35 PM
:lol: :doh:

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm a little slow today. I was running around outside in the heat.

8-[

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Sorry, I'm a little slow today. I was running around outside in the heat.

8-[

Oh you thought I was taking a shot at you?

No man, I'll come straight at you for that shit. No subtweeting :lol:

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 07:07 PM
that did read a little bad in context...apologies :rofl:

Muddy
09-13-2019, 07:08 PM
I thought you were calling him an ugly musician... :lol:

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Hey I ain't pretty...I got no cause to rate other menz :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2019, 07:28 PM
:-s

I thought he was calling me pretty and saying I had no talent.

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 07:33 PM
:-s

I thought he was calling me pretty and saying I had no talent.

:hand: I've never heard you play but have seen your face.

:lol: that's not helping

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2019, 07:39 PM
I can't help with the hearing me play thing. I currently don't have any recording interfaces. I should probably look into doing that.

Hal-9000
09-13-2019, 07:45 PM
I can't help with the hearing me play thing. I currently don't have any recording interfaces. I should probably look into doing that.

Go on American Idol ffs!!! :x

*does that show still exist?

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Go on American Idol ffs!!! :x

*does that show still exist?

I dunno. I've never watched any of that crap to begin with.

I'm not a vocalist by any stretch of the imagination anyway.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2019, 11:09 PM

https://youtu.be/0d5eP0wWLQY

:-k

Hal-9000
09-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Okay so go on one of those shows like America's Got Problems or Talent or whatever and let loose your inner Yngwie :thumbsup:

fricnjay
09-17-2019, 03:39 PM
So I actually have a weird connection to Eddie Money. My mom used to be a semi profession Foosball player of all things. She played goalie on a mixed doubles team, they were really good and went to the Nationals in Vegas, the whole 9 yards. Her partner was Eddie's bass player. Great guy and according to him so was Eddie. Never actually got to meet Eddie but I was a fan and he will be missed.