PDA

View Full Version : FDA launches criminal probe of vaping-related illnesses; Congress to hold hearing about outbreak next week

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 10:09 AM
By Danielle Wallace | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/a09ydWb.jpg

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Thursday launched a criminal investigation into the nationwide epidemic of vaping-related illnesses after the number of cases recorded by U.S. health officials jumped to more than 500 since last week.

The agency's tobacco director, Mitch Zeller, stressed the agency is not interested in prosecuting individuals who use illegal products but instead would like to uncover the chemical makeup of vape products and how they are being produced, sold and eventually used in ways that may cause individuals to fall ill.

“We are in desperate need of facts," Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, said. “The focus of their work is to identify what is making people sick, as well as a focus on the supply chain.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 530 confirmed and probable cases have been reported in 38 states and one U.S. territory, up from 380 a week ago. An eight death in the U.S. was reported Thursday evening when the Missouri Department of Health confirmed a man in his 40s died due to a vaping related illness, USA Today reported.

A congressional subcommittee will hold a hearing on the outbreaks next Tuesday. Reps. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., and Peter King, R-N.Y., announced Thursday that they formed a new congressional caucus focused on curbing teen vaping. President Trump said last week his administration is looking to ban all non-tobacco flavored e-cigarette products. Young people in particular have been affected by the epidemic, with about half of reported cases being in people under the age of 25, USA Today reported.

“We’re facing a true epidemic in this country,” DeGette said in a statement. “Congress has a responsibility to protect our public health. We’re going to be working tirelessly to make sure we keep these products out of the hands of our young people.”

On Tuesday, New York became the first state to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes and other vaping products except for menthol and tobacco flavors. The e-cigarette maker Juul is facing a slew of lawsuits from the parents, business, lawmakers and individuals across the country who argue the company’s misleading marketing strategy gets people hooked on their fruity flavored products without fully disclosing the risks.

Meanwhile, several TV networks -- including CBS, WarnerMedia and CNN -- say they will no longer air ads for e-cigarettes.

All patients have reported using either an electronic cigarette or vaping device before falling ill, but, so far, no single vaping product or ingredient has been linked to the illnesses, though most patients reported vaping THC, the high-producing ingredient in marijuana.

The FDA said it’s gathered more than 150 vaping product samples for forensic analysis, according to USA Today. The agency is looking to see if samples contain nicotine, THC, and other cannabinoids, opioids, cutting agents, additives, pesticides, poisons, toxin and any other substances. One substance, vitamin E acetate, has surfaced in some lab samples and is believed by New York health officials to be the potential cause of some of the illnesses. No one substance has surfaced in all samples.

Some cases pointed back to black market vaping products. U.S. health officials also warned against altering vaping products sold from vendors. State health officials in Illinois, where 69 cases and one death have been reported, are asking residents to fill out an anonymous online survey to describe their vaping habits to aid officials in their investigation, USA Today reported. Two-thirds of the cases nationwide involved 18- to 34-year-olds. Three-quarters are men. Some of the first cases appeared in April.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 12:47 PM
The shit just needs to be regulated is all.. I guarantee the people getting sick are using some bullshit mixture made by an unregulated manufacturer..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 12:51 PM
The way to get people to stop vaping is to point out to them how much of a douchebag they look like while they're doing it. It really is fucking retarded.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 12:53 PM
It is though a much better option than smoking for people looking to get off the cancer sticks..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
It is though a much better option than smoking for people looking to get off the cancer sticks..

Only if you do it right:

https://i.imgur.com/TFP5x53.png

Muddy
09-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Agreed.

Hal-9000
09-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Only if you do it right:

https://i.imgur.com/TFP5x53.png

The way I quit smoking was to read the exact scientific explanation about what happens to your body and brain while smoking a cigarette.

While I agree with the idea vaping is better for you than cigarettes, cigarettes also contain other harmful materials beyond nicotine. Over 150 additives and chemicals.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Oh shit, you finally quit..?

Hal-9000
09-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Oh shit, you finally quit..?

Almost five years bro :thumbsup: Wish I would have tried sooner.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Almost five years bro :thumbsup: Wish I would have tried sooner.

Damn..! That's great...!

Hal-9000
09-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Damn..! That's great...!

Thanks. I was a heavy smoker too. Used to light one up in football huddles playing with friends and smoke during pass patterns just to be a dick :lol:

Muddy
09-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Thanks. I was a heavy smoker too.

Meeee too....

fricnjay
09-20-2019, 06:23 PM
I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day for years. Had just bought a carton and decided to through it away and never had another.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 06:56 PM
I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day for years. Had just bought a carton and decided to through it away and never had another.

Now you only smoke poles...

fricnjay
09-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Now you only smoke poles...

I do smoke cigars, but real hand made cigars, I dont inhale and if I have 1 its only 1 I dont have like 8 a day or anything

Muddy
09-20-2019, 07:55 PM
I do smoke cigars, but real hand made cigars, I dont inhale and if I have 1 its only 1 I dont have like 8 a day or anything

How often?

fricnjay
09-20-2019, 08:18 PM
How often?

Depends on the week. A good cigar can take an hour or so. So if I have time to sit and enjoy one I do.

RBP
09-20-2019, 10:35 PM
This whole issue is bullshit. As Muddy said, it's all use of crap they got from a shady source to get high.

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2019, 11:22 PM
I guess I'm coming down on the side of personal liberty here. I think if people want to choose to abuse their own bodies and how they go about doing it, then the government shouldn't get involved. If you don't want kids to get sick from this shit, then their parents and the authority figures in their lives should do their jobs. Definitely research what's really going on, but educate them and let them know what they're doing to themselves if they do this... after you have the full story. All government regulation will do, in this case, is take away people's right to make a choice for themselves. Let people make a choice and let them deal with the consequences of that choice. You live, you learn.

As long as the things people choose to do isn't hurting anyone else, then let them do it.

Godfather
09-21-2019, 01:12 AM
This whole issue is bullshit. As Muddy said, it's all use of crap they got from a shady source to get high.

I guess I'm coming down on the side of personal liberty here. I think if people want to choose to abuse their own bodies and how they go about doing it, then the government shouldn't get involved. If you don't want kids to get sick from this shit, then their parents and the authority figures in their lives should do their jobs. Definitely research what's really going on, but educate them and let them know what they're doing to themselves if they do this... after you have the full story. All government regulation will do, in this case, is take away people's right to make a choice for themselves. Let people make a choice and let them deal with the consequences of that choice. You live, you learn.

As long as the things people choose to do isn't hurting anyone else, then let them do it.

Amen. Regulate the hell out of it so it's safe and difficult for kids to get the same was as booze and tobacco, inspect the manufacturers as if they're making baby formula. Tax it like tobacco if you want (although I'm iffy on that when people are using it as a cessation device). But don't ban something that adults are using to quit smoking or just chose as their vice.

This is a kneejerk reaction to a bad batch of black market shitty product (and it really seems to be a THC product issue, not nicotine vaping - so these recent flavor bans aren't even going after the product that caused this outbreak). I already ranted about it in another thread but this recent news has hit hysteria levels.

RBP
09-21-2019, 04:10 AM
Amen. Regulate the hell out of it so it's safe and difficult for kids to get the same was as booze and tobacco, inspect the manufacturers as if they're making baby formula. Tax it like tobacco if you want (although I'm iffy on that when people are using it as a cessation device). But don't ban something that adults are using to quit smoking or just chose as their vice.

This is a kneejerk reaction to a bad batch of black market shitty product (and it really seems to be a THC product issue, not nicotine vaping - so these recent flavor bans aren't even going after the product that caused this outbreak). I already ranted about it in another thread but this recent news has hit hysteria levels.

I have said over and over... most high profile legislation after major events is based on urban legends and do nothing to prevent a future event like the one that started the urban legend.

I have threatened to write a book on the subject. :lol:

Godfather
09-21-2019, 04:16 AM
I have said over and over... most high profile legislation after major events is based on urban legends and do nothing to prevent a future event like the one that started the urban legend.

I have threatened to write a book on the subject. :lol:

Right? Once they laser in on something that you know more about than your local representative who's reading bullshit headlines and a few angry dingbats on Twitter, you really feel how true that is.

I feel like ranting more but I think we're almost all fundamentally on the same page in this thread (refreshing btw) :lol:

RBP
09-21-2019, 04:21 AM
Right? Once they laser in on something that you know more about than your local representative who's reading bullshit headlines and a few angry dingbats on Twitter, you really feel how true that is.

I feel like ranting more but I think we're almost all fundamentally on the same page in this thread (refreshing btw) :lol:

(I got ya, bro... I'll spray bullets so you can run into the firefight)

No we're not. Your opinion sucks. Where the fuck did you get that bullshit. Do you even science? Fucking Nazi.

Godfather
09-21-2019, 04:26 AM
Bruh you don't even know my real name, come at me. I'm the vape god, it cures cancer and rabies.

https://i.redd.it/5iqqh6sq9s601.jpg

RBP
09-21-2019, 04:29 AM
3 minutes of that made my brain 'urt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOHMg7IkzHU

Hal-9000
09-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Bruh you don't even know my real name, come at me. I'm the vape god, it cures cancer and rabies.

https://i.redd.it/5iqqh6sq9s601.jpg

rabies :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Regardless of it's misuse by illegal things or whether it's happening from regular use, I think the widespread hysteria is because so many people are getting sick/dying in such a short period of time since the introduction of vaping. That's a big reason for the "call to arms" IMHO

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2019, 05:35 PM
And I'm out :)