PDA

View Full Version : Upper Midwest braces for dangerous and long heat wave

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Additional reporting by Karin Matz, Kevin Murphy, David Bailey and Tim Ghianni; Editing by Jerry Norton

CHICAGO (Reuters) – A heat wave hovering in the central and southern states is expanding north to states not accustomed to intense and prolonged heat.

"This is going to be especially bad in the upper Midwest," said Chris Vaccaro, a spokesman for the National Weather Service.

Temperatures will be in the 90's and possibly hit 100 degrees in some places. When humidity is factored in, the heat index could reach 115 degrees.

These soaring mercury levels are unusual for states like North and South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Vaccaro said, which makes this heat wave particularly dangerous in those places. In Minneapolis alone highs could reach 15 degrees above normal.

As the heat wave expands to the north, the Minnesota Twins begin the first of a series of home games at Target Field in Minneapolis Friday night.

"We'll be ready for each and every day it's hot," said Kevin Smith, spokesman for the baseball team.

If it gets hot enough, water stations will be available by the gates and on various levels of the ballpark.

"It's all about staying hydrated," said Smith, who added first aid teams will be on hand to monitor fans if temperatures hit extremes.

The city of Minneapolis warned residents to take precautions in the heat by drinking more fluids, staying indoors, wearing light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and never leaving a person or animal in a closed, parked car.

In Kansas City, Missouri, temperatures were in the 90's on Friday, but with the humidity it felt like 100 degrees or more in most areas, according to the weather service. And there was no relief in sight. High heat and humidity were forecast for Kansas City until next Friday.

COOLING CENTERS

Cooling centers in the area were opened, and 59-year-old Ronald Vincent Artis was taking advantage of the air conditioning at one center.

"It's very important," said Artis. "I've got high blood pressure. I get dizzy and I get migraines."

Artis said he was homeless and typically did not spend the night in shelters. But last night, for the first time since April, the heat forced him to seek refuge indoors.

Nine suspected heat-related deaths have been reported in Kansas City this summer, including three this week, according to the Kansas City Health Department.

"People really do need to take heed and whenever they can be in an air-conditioned environment," said Bill Snook, department spokesman.

"Electric fans are good only up to a point."

In South Memphis, Tennessee, the heat was apparently to blame for the death of a 72-year-old man. The man died Wednesday, according to the Shelby County Health Department.

The air conditioning in his home was malfunctioning and blowing hot air. And while a fan was in use, the windows were closed, the agency reported.

This is the third apparent heat-related death in West Tennessee this summer. Two people died in June.

The excessive heat continued to aggravate drought conditions in the southern part of the county.

Fourteen percent of the continental United States, mostly in Texas, Louisiana and New Mexico, have had the driest first six months of the year on record since 1895, according to weather service meteorologist Victor Murphy, based in Fort Worth, Texas.

"It's a double edge sword," said Murphy. "There's no moisture in the soil to absorb the heat of the sun."

He said that leads to prolonged heat, prolonged drought and less chance of rainfall.

On Friday 12 states were under heat advisories, warnings or watches from Texas north to Minnesota, and the heat wave is expected to move east by the middle of next week.

"It's going to be pretty significant," said Vaccaro. "It's going to expand and worsen throughout the weekend."

So far in July, 882 high temperature records in the United States have been tied or broken, according to the weather service.

RBP
07-16-2011, 01:43 PM
:|

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhf_zgtmAg

Loser
07-16-2011, 02:22 PM
:|

Oh come on now, you know you want those rolling blackouts and no A/C :P

Softdreamer
07-16-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_brVtFvZQfw

RBP
07-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Oh come on now, you know you want those rolling blackouts and no A/C :P

If I go out tonight I might have some rolling blackouts. ;)

Loser
07-16-2011, 08:51 PM
If I go out tonight I might have some rolling blackouts. ;)

I miss those nights :'(

deebakes
07-16-2011, 11:45 PM
good luck minnesota...

Hal-9000
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM
yeah I watched Toronto's forecast...30-32C but with the humidity index it feels like 40C (104, 105F)

Loser
07-18-2011, 02:45 AM
I went outside for 15 minutes to put away the lawn mower, by the time I came back inside, I was pouring sweat and soaking wet.

deebakes
07-19-2011, 02:12 AM
i had to walk about 1.5 miles to my car today... sweaty balls here we go!

Loser
07-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Shaved my head today, haven't sweat since :dance:

Shady
07-19-2011, 03:06 AM
I stood in front of a 6 foot charcoal grill for 2 hours today. Fuck that was hot.

Loser
07-19-2011, 03:10 AM
I was inside the garage with no air conditioning milling 5160 spring steel to knock out these knife blanks.

Tomorrow is grinding.

Wednesday is heat treating and tempering. *pls kill me now?* :oops:

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 03:11 AM
I did the warehouse with no windows, no fans, no air conditioning...I felt like a white chicken breast at 400 degrees..

Shady
07-19-2011, 03:23 AM
I was inside the garage with no air conditioning milling 5160 spring steel to knock out these knife blanks.

Tomorrow is grinding.

Wednesday is heat treating and tempering. *pls kill me now?* :oops:

That reminds me of I've always wanted to learn how to be a blacksmith.

Loser
07-20-2011, 03:53 AM
That reminds me of I've always wanted to learn how to be a blacksmith.

Honestly man, when most people think of blacksmiths they think of some asshat standing over a fire with a giant fkin hammer beating a piece of steel. Those days are pretty much long gone :lol:

Now I buy leaf springs from old pickups, because I know they used 5160 steel up til the 60's, and just marker out knife patters, cut with a mill, and grind to shape.

Heat treating is the hard part, but it's all about the fire and what quenching oil you use.

Some of the better blade smiths forge, but it isn't necessary at all.

-edit-

P.s.

It was ballsack hot today :(