PDA

View Full Version : Teen Climate Activist Tells Congress Climate Crisis Is Linked to ‘Colonialism, Slavery’

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 10:56 AM
By Hannah Bleau - Breitbart

https://i.imgur.com/JDDqnPI.jpg

Teen climate activist Jamie Margolin testified before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and Select Committee on the Climate Crisis alongside fellow activist Greta Thunberg on Wednesday and declared that the climate “crisis” is directly linked to colonialism and slavery.

The Seattle native — joined by Thunberg, the famed European climate activist who recently received stunning accolades from former President Obama — told U.S. lawmakers that her generation lives with constant “fear and despair” due to the climate crisis and added that climate change is directly linked to colonialism, slavery, and natural resource extraction.

“I want the entirety of Congress — in fact, the whole U.S. government — to remember the fear and despair that my generation lives with every day, and I want you to hold on to it,” she said.

“How do I even being to convey to you what it feels like to know that within my lifetime the destruction that we have already seen from the climate crisis will only get worse?” she asked, suggesting that her dreams really do not matter because her generation “has been committed to a planet that is collapsing.”

She scolded lawmakers, telling them they should be ashamed because “youth climate activists should not have to exist” in the first place. While she took on a more optimistic tone when talking about potential solutions, that quickly took a sharp turn, with the teen activist painting a darker and more sinister picture of America.

“Solving the climate crisis goes against everything that our country was unfortunately built on — colonialism, slavery, and natural resource extraction,” Margolin said. “This is why the youth are calling for a new era altogether.”

“As Greta mentioned, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report that we only have a few months left to create the massive political shift needed to transition our world to an entirely renewable energy economy,” she continued, citing the commonly touted ten-year deadline.

“This needs to happen within the next ten years, which is our deadline to save life as we know it,” she said, adding that she would like her generation to be known as “Generation GND” for the “Green New Deal” rather than Generation Z.

Margolin revisited her argument on colonialism later on and urged the U.S. to listen to “indigenous protectors” in Latin America. However, she warned America to “not perpetuate the same systems of oppression that have been pushing them down.”

She later accused America of “trying to colonize” its way out of the climate crisis.

“And right now something that has been disturbing me a lot is seeing the way that we are trying to colonize and buy and sell our way out of a problem caused by colonization and buying and selling,” she added.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Ok, honey.. Almost time for snack and beddy-bye time..

lost in melb.
09-20-2019, 01:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Incredible pictures as Australia’s gathering for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/climatestrike?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#climatestrike</a> <br>This is the huge crowd building up in Sydney. <br>Australia is setting the standard! <br>Its bedtime in New York...so please share as many pictures as you can as the strikes move across Asia to Europe and Africa! <a href="https://t.co/7eAPUQPq5C">pic.twitter.com/7eAPUQPq5C</a></p>&mdash; Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1174872985251000320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 20, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reckoning is coming, motherfuckers :watching:

lost in melb.
09-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Climate strike draws 100,000s (https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-20/school-strike-for-climate-draws-thousands-to-australian-rallies/11531612?pfmredir=sm)

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 01:21 PM
:care:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Time to burn some more old tires in the backyard when I get home from work.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 01:33 PM
I in no way want to do things that are toxic to the Earth because I live here..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 01:42 PM
I like to buy 55 gallon drums of bleach and pour it down the storm drains.

Pony
09-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Is it a sign that we are coddling kids too much if the biggest daily "fear and despair" they have is climate change?

Muddy
09-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Is it a sign that we are coddling kids too much if the biggest daily "fear and despair" they have is climate change?

Well.. They think the Earth is in imminent danger.. It's a noble cause.. ?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 03:36 PM

Every day they're all :freakout:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Well.. They think the Earth is in imminent danger.. It's a noble cause.. ?

What they're told to think. They're obviously being funded by someone, they aren't just flying all over the world for free so they can scream that 'the sky is falling'.

Muddy
09-20-2019, 05:19 PM
I watched a show the other day with all these before and after where glaciers used to be.. Something is most definitely going on... Whether it is caused by man remains to be the issue I think...

Hal-9000
09-20-2019, 05:33 PM
I watched a show the other day with all these before and after where glaciers used to be.. Something is most definitely going on... Whether it is caused by man remains to be the issue I think...

It's a pretty easy equation if you look at how regular water and growth cycles work and then examine the amount of shit we've been dumping into the oceans and atmosphere for decades, coupled with the urban island effect or more directly... the amount of cement vs green space that grows every year.

Once you affect the evaporation/heat cycle the Earth doesn't recover, it adapts. There's simply too many of us and we're doing too much 'business' not to affect the climate. Naysayers will try to say that the Earth always goes through cycles and that is true, but in the 1800's when they started recording data we also were not pumping metric tons per minute of pollution into the air and water either.

It's no secret that we've eliminated animal species and plants just through deforestation so a good biologist can explain just how eliminating multiple things from a particular area can be devastating.

Ain't nothing new. Scientists starting warning us in the 70's about water pollution and deforestation effects. Now everything is tied into the mighty buck so the info gets diluted and ignored.

lost in melb.
09-20-2019, 11:08 PM
It's a pretty easy equation if you look at how regular water and growth cycles work and then examine the amount of shit we've been dumping into the oceans and atmosphere for decades, coupled with the urban island effect or more directly... the amount of cement vs green space that grows every year.

Once you affect the evaporation/heat cycle the Earth doesn't recover, it adapts. There's simply too many of us and we're doing too much 'business' not to affect the climate. Naysayers will try to say that the Earth always goes through cycles and that is true, but in the 1800's when they started recording data we also were not pumping metric tons per minute of pollution into the air and water either.

It's no secret that we've eliminated animal species and plants just through deforestation so a good biologist can explain just how eliminating multiple things from a particular area can be devastating.

Ain't nothing new. Scientists starting warning us in the 70's about water pollution and deforestation effects. Now everything is tied into the mighty buck so the info gets diluted and ignored.

This is why I support the issue at heart - even if we are able to reverse the warming issue, or if it doesn't end up being so bad. IT's a unifying force...There are so many other shitty things we doing to degrade the environment on a daily basis... pollution, deforestation, poor agricultural practice (and the issues you mentioned). The planet's way out of balance already. Only a real awakening is going to be able to turn the tide.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Time to dump more used motor oil in the river :)

DemonGeminiX
09-21-2019, 12:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iydPLzALi_M

:headbang:

lost in melb.
09-21-2019, 03:55 AM
Time to dump more used motor oil in the river :)

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/EaUuzIdnUGXAs_LokdLgtdrJZCY=/0x0:420x314/1400x1050/filters:focal(136x115:202x181):format(gif)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55279403/tenor.0.gif

PorkChopSandwiches
09-23-2019, 05:12 PM
turns out the earth has been warming and cooling for its entire existence

Pony
09-23-2019, 07:41 PM
turns out the earth has been warming and cooling for its entire existence

Dinosaurs let out massive amounts of farts. When was the last time you saw one of those? See? Proof.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2019, 08:01 PM
The Swedish girl was in front of the UN this morning and I saw a snippet of her speech where she was berating the UN members telling them that we're "on the brink of an extinction level event" and that they've stolen her childhood and her future from her :roll:

Muddy
09-23-2019, 08:08 PM
The Swedish girl was in front of the UN this morning and I saw a snippet of her speech where she was berating the UN members telling them that we're "on the brink of an extinction level event" and that they've stolen her childhood and her future from her :roll:

:lol: What the fuck does that kid know,...?

Muddy
09-23-2019, 08:08 PM
What is the UN now a weekly 'Happy Feet' episode sponsored by Disney?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-23-2019, 08:24 PM
:rofl:

lost in melb.
09-24-2019, 01:38 AM

:lol: What the fuck does that kid know,...?

Well if you characterize an extinction level event as a large number of species going extinct within a short amount of time, then we are indeed experiencing the most rapid and severe (non-cataclysmic) extinction level event in the history of the planet, and predicted to become even worse.

So it sounds like she knows a bit.