PDA

View Full Version : Oxford University Student Council Bans Clapping Over Fears It May Trigger Anxiety

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2019, 10:49 AM
By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/bwseJNyl.jpg

Oxford University’s student union has instituted an unofficial ban on clapping during student functions over fears the loud noise may trigger anxiety and the rapid hand movements and noise could alienate students who are unable or unwilling to clap.

The Daily Mail reports that students and faculty are instead being encouraged to use “jazz hands” and other silent means of assent, and to explore using alternatives to clapping for meetings and gatherings.

The edict came from Oxford’s Student Union, which claims to be leading the way to a more “inclusive” environment at the thousand-year-old institute of higher learning in Britain.

“The first Student Council meeting of the academic year, yesterday, passed the motion to mandate the Sabbatical Officers to encourage the use of British Sign Language (BSL) clapping, otherwise known as ‘silent jazz hands’ at Student Council meetings and other official SU events,” a statement from the Oxford Student Council read.

They continued, “BSL clapping is used by the National Union of Students since loud noises, including whooping and traditional applause, are argued to present an access issue for some disabled students who have anxiety disorders, sensory sensitivity, and/or those who use hearing impairment aids.”

The statement briefly mentions that the New York Times believes “snapping is the new clapping,” but it seems the Oxford Student Union passed on the opportunity to incorporate snapping fingers as one of its alternative motions of assent, possibly because snapping fingers might also be triggering to or exclusive of some students.

The statement concludes with an action statement, mandating that Student Council members use “jazz hands” in official meetings and at events, and encouraging Student Union officers to press Oxford University to adopt the “inclusive” jazz hands policy across the board: “As well as mandating the Sabbatical Officers to encourage the use of jazz hands at Student Council, the motion also mandates Sabbatical Officers to ‘lobby the University’ to use jazz hands in place of applause at University and college level events, with an explanation of why the change is important.”

As the Washington Examiner points out, Oxford University has been in operation since the 1050s, and is one of the oldest and most storied institutions of higher learning in the world. However, its centuries long record of scholarly pursuits and rigorous intellectualism was no match for trendy social justice warrior-ism.

Oxford is the second such university in the UK to adopt the “ban” on applause; the other, Manchester University, passed a similar rule last year. The Oxford Student Union makes clear, in their statement, that they were inspired by Manchester’s courageous students.

Unfortunately for both Oxford and Manchester, their proposed “jazz hands” alternative to clapping may not be the clean, social justice option they believe it to be. None other than UK television presented Piers Morgan weighed in on Twitter, pointing out that “jazz hands” appears to be a racially charged term and that a solely visual means of declaring assent excludes the blind and disabled — and also that the Oxford Student Union is a bunch of “imbeciles.”
The Student Council, though, says it remains committed to its decision. “The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language clapping during our democratic events to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all, including people who suffer from anxiety,” one Student Council officer said in a statement. “Inclusivity is one of the Students’ Union’s founding principles.”

RBP
10-25-2019, 01:14 PM
I don't even know what to say any more. There's nothing to discuss or debate here because it's things I would say in my most sarcastic tone...

"Ya know, we should just stop applauding. I mean, it's singling out achievement first of all, but that banging of flesh may cause distress! There's only one solution, jazz hands. Jazz hands is the future of group feedback, mark my word"

I have a solution for self-harm also. I will submit this to the leftists. Stay with me here, it builds on the foundational principles of jazz hands as community emotional support. For those in the room who cut themselves to get a pleasurable emotional release (the numbers in that crowd are likely high), then what we need to do is start cutting people. If we are going to protect people from the emotional trauma of sadistic clapping, we should also embrace the emotional high of self harm and just start cutting the cutters. It's a community-based self help approach and the least we can do to help.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2019, 01:29 PM
You don't understand what it's like to be overwhelmed by clapping....or rapid hand movement....or sound....on not being willing to clap and being shamed for it....or not being able to even clap you two handed bigot :x

RBP
10-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I've got to hand it to you for making that argument.

https://i.imgur.com/bwOqxlu.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2019, 01:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QQdmtb7.png

RBP
10-25-2019, 01:41 PM
I'm shocked to see the effort lead by liberal white women.

lost in melb.
10-25-2019, 03:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QQdmtb7.png

That's the first time I've been alerted to the correlation between Climate Change and the rise of radioactive sludge. Scary shit! :doh:

lost in melb.
10-25-2019, 04:02 PM
My serious comment. I struggled with the large class sizes and noise of 1st year Uni lectures. It made be feel really uncomfortable. But I got used to it eventually and the lecture sizes decreased year by year anyhow. I enjoy meditating in groups too and I wear earplugs if the sound bothers me :dunno:

lost in melb.
10-25-2019, 04:03 PM
I'm shocked to see the effort lead by liberal white women.

I bet she has a loud obnoxious voice and gets impatient easily :tup:

Griffin
10-25-2019, 04:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2VSSX0CMAEym7H.jpg

DemonGeminiX
10-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Point of personal privilege! Point of personal privilege! Please stop clapping as it triggers my auditory sensitivities! Thank you.

Pony
10-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Jazz hands trigger me.