PDA

View Full Version : Lets hope I dont fall ill any time soon!

minz
07-17-2011, 10:14 PM
This is my local NHS hospital. It must be something in the water in this area, Dr Shipmans surgery was only about 7 miles from here. :huh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14178044

Southern Belle
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
When I was over, I saw something in the news about poor care at a hospital. Was it this one? It was scandalous!
Poor care at private hospitals in small towns here is the norm. It's just pitiful that you can't go to the hospital and trust that they will give you the treatment you need and not make it work or even kill you with their stupidity! And they'll charge you an arm and a leg for it.

minz
07-18-2011, 12:05 AM
There have been a few cases like this in the past decade, I guess Shipman is the best known of these, you wonder what goes through the mind of these people and what drives them to play God and decide who lives and who dies.

Southern Belle
07-18-2011, 12:09 AM
I can't remember exactly what it was. The hospital was underfunded and understaffed and there was a scandal.
Hope you're doing well love.

minz
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I can't remember exactly what it was. The hospital was underfunded and understaffed and there was a scandal.
Hope you're doing well love.

Sounds like most UK hospitals lol. I'm good thanks, looking forward to a few days away with Jay, I'm really ready for a break now, hows things with you?

Southern Belle
07-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I think I saw on fb that you're ready for a holiday and with a new man? YAY!
Wish I could have seen you when I was over but we traveled most of the time. We did go to a cricket match in the Trafford area then took a tram into the city and walked to a pub, then to Chinatown for a wonderful meal, then took a bus home.
He's sold his house and has moved to Pennistone with his Mum and will be here Sept 25 for good!
Tell me about Jay!

minz
07-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I think I saw on fb that you're ready for a holiday and with a new man? YAY!
Wish I could have seen you when I was over but we traveled most of the time. We did go to a cricket match in the Trafford area then took a tram into the city and walked to a pub, then to Chinatown for a wonderful meal, then took a bus home.
He's sold his house and has moved to Pennistone with his Mum and will be here Sept 25 for good!
Tell me about Jay!

He's not new, it’s been on and off for over three years now but if I’m honest that’s more my fault than his, he's a sweetie, but I just have "issues" with commitment of any kind and it causes problems from time to time, yeah I know I’m weird lol, but that’s just me. :lol:

Southern Belle
07-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, glad it's going good right now. I hope it works out well because you deserve it.
Sometimes you have to let doubts go and trust your instinct. Believe me. I know.

minz
07-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Well, glad it's going good right now. I hope it works out well because you deserve it.
Sometimes you have to let doubts go and trust your instinct. Believe me. I know.

I know, I need to grow up and stop behaving like a spoilt child but I struggle to have any faith at all in the opposite sex now... sad...

Southern Belle
07-18-2011, 01:15 AM
How well I know. Going with my gut usually serves me well. Not always, but usually.

minz
07-18-2011, 01:17 AM
How well I know. Going with my gut usually serves me well. Not always, but usually.

I thought that last time and look where it got me, I’m wary now.

MrsM
07-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Glad to hear that it's going well Minz :tup:

minz
07-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Glad to hear that it's going well Minz :tup:

Thanks, I'm happy at the moment, probably more than I have been for a long time. :)

MrsM
07-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Good for you Minz :tup: you deserve it

minz
07-20-2011, 12:27 AM
And a 4th victim now... :shock:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/19/saline-poisoning-fouth-patient-ill

A saboteur who injected insulin into saline given to three patients who later died at a hospital may still be on the wards, police have warned.

Tracey Arden, 44, George Keep, 84, and Arnold Lancaster, 71, have all died at Stepping Hill hospital in Hazel Grove, Stockport, in the past few weeks after the saline solution was deliberately sabotaged.

A fourth patient is now critically ill. The man, in his 40s, who has not been identified, now forms part of the wide-scale police investigation involving a team of 60 detectives.

Greater Manchester police said they could not rule out the person responsible still being at the hospital.

The critically ill patient is one of 14 people on two acute medical wards – A1 and A3 – who have been affected after the saboteur tampered with 36 ampoules of saline in a storeroom.

Police were called in a week ago after an experienced nurse realised a large number of patients had a sudden, unexpected drop in blood sugar levels. A fifth patient, a woman who became seriously ill and suffered a seizure, is now recovering.

Officers have ruled out making quick arrests in the case, which has been under investigation for a week. It is perhaps inevitable that the killer may still be on the site as there have yet to be any arrests. But it is the first time the police have publicly expressed the view that the saboteur may still be at the hospital.

Greater Manchester police's assistant chief constable, Ian Hopkins, told a press conference at the hospital that the investigation was starting with 14 patients who may have come to harm, including the three who died. "Our investigation in the initial stages is concentrating on people that work within the hospital or [have] visited the hospital," he said on Tuesday.

"We are not ruling out it could be someone outside the hospital but our focus has been on staff and visitors to the hospital at this stage." He said once officers had a clear suspect, they would then look at historic deaths.

Police believe insulin was injected into saline containers that were used by at least two wards at the hospital. Security has been stepped up and staff have been told to work in pairs to check and administer drugs. A single keyholder has to be asked for access to locked drugs cabinets. Names and the times that individual drugs are given to patients are also being recorded.

Insulin was always kept in a locked treatment room, the hospital said. All the saline has now been locked away. There is a core staff of medics on the wards but also occasional agency staff, a press conference at the hospital was told. Senior police officers and NHS bosses have started daily review meetings.

Detectives are still awaiting the results of further toxicology tests by a Home Office pathologist, to establish a definitive cause of death for the three patients. Until the cause of death is established, their deaths are being treated as unexplained.

Chris Burke, chief executive of Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, said staff were "shocked, horrified and angry" at the situation.

"They are alarmed that a place that should be for care has become a crime scene. This is a criminal act, perpetrated by someone with malicious intent. We do not believe it could have been anticipated," he said.

"This is a bad person doing a malevolent thing. This is about someone wanting to inflict harm, pain and possibly further, as a deliberate malicious act," he said. "That is nothing to do with care."

He said he could understand why patients would be worried about going to the hospital. "But I can say that it is safe. We hope to stop further incidents like this happening," he added. The hospital chief executive said he could not see a reason why relatives should be concerned about previous deaths.

Meanwhile, the South Manchester coroner John Pollard briefly opened inquests into the three patients. They were adjourned until a later date at the request of Superintendent Julian Ross, who is leading the inquiry into the deaths.

redred
07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Stepping Hill Hospital deaths: Nurse on murder arrest
A nurse has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the deaths of three patients at a hospital in Greater Manchester.
The woman, 26, is being questioned after two men and a woman died at Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport.
She was arrested at her home earlier. Police believe insulin was deliberately injected into saline containers.
Sixty detectives have been involved in the inquiry and officers have questioned more than 50 people so far.
Tracey Arden, 44, 71-year-old Arnold Lancaster, and George Keep, 84, have all died at the hospital in the past month.
A fourth patient, a man in his 40s, remains critically ill.
Greater Manchester Police believe the sabotaged saline containers were used by at least two wards, A1 and A3.
Deaths 'unexplained'
The force said they were working on the assumption the contamination had taken place on the site.
The four patients are among a total of 14 whose treatment since 7 July is being examined by police.
Dr Chris Burke, chief executive of Stockport NHS Foundation Trust said: "We are aware that Greater Manchester Police have made an arrest this morning of a 26-year-old female.
"As the police are continuing with their enquiries, we are unable to provide any further details, but it is important to stress that no charges have been made at this stage."
Detectives were called to the hospital after an experienced nurse reported a higher-than-normal number of patients on her ward with "unexplained" low blood sugar levels.
Officers found insulin had contaminated a batch of 36 ampoules in a storeroom close to ward A1.
Security has been increased on the hospital site and staff have been told to work in pairs when they check or administer drugs.
Senior NHS bosses at the hospital are having daily meetings with police.
Insulin is always stored in a fridge in a locked treatment room but saline has also been locked away, as a result of the incidents.
The three deaths are being treated as unexplained until the results of further pathology tests are confirmed.
South Manchester coroner John Pollard has opened and adjourned inquests into Ms Arden, Mr Lancaster and Mr Keep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14214375