PDA

View Full Version : Iowa man sentenced to 15 years after burning church's LGBTQ flag

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2019, 10:38 AM
By The Associated Press and Tim Fitzsimons, NBC News

https://i.imgur.com/p6SkUSA.jpg

NEVADA, Iowa — A man has been imprisoned for burning an LGBTQ flag that was flying at a church in central Iowa.

Adolfo Martinez, 30, of Ames, was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years for the hate crime of arson and given a year for reckless use of explosives or fire and 30 days for harassment. The sentences are to be served consecutively, Story County court records said.

A jury convicted Martinez in November. He’d been arrested in June. At the time of his November conviction, KCCI reported that the "habitual offender" charge filed against Martinez called for a lengthier penalty. Hate crime charges also carry enhanced penalties.

He’s said he tore down the flag that had been hanging from the United Church of Christ in Ames and burned it because he opposes homosexuality.

Courtney Reyes, executive director of One Iowa, a statewide LGBTQ advocacy group, said while her organization appreciates the seriousness with which this biased incident was addressed, "we will continue to strive for a justice system which values restoration over punishment and helps individuals like Adolfo Martinez understand the harm that they’ve caused."

"Hate crimes against the LGBTQ community are a serious matter as they inflict distinct emotional harms on their victims, and strike fear into the communities they target," Reyes told NBC News. "That said, true justice should always strive to be about rehabilitation, reconciliation, and healing communities. It is difficult to see how a 16-year prison sentence accomplishes any of those goals."

DemonGeminiX
12-24-2019, 10:53 AM
15 years for burning a flag? What would he get for burning the American flag? An evil look?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2019, 10:54 AM
15 years for burning a flag? What would he get for burning the American flag? An evil look?

Burning gay flag = hate crime.

Burning American flag = free speech

:hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2019, 12:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/f4c3NZ8l.jpg

RBP
12-24-2019, 02:26 PM
To be fair, he's sentence as a habitual criminal, but calling it an arson hate crime seems ridiculous.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-24-2019, 02:33 PM
To be fair, he's sentence as a habitual criminal, but calling it an arson hate crime seems ridiculous.

Granted, and I'm not excusing the fact that he did steal that flag from the church, but it's the whole 'hate crime' thing about this that's fucking ridiculous. If a Muslim living in this country burns the American flag, it's freedom of expression, but this guy burns a gay flag and it's a hate crime.

RBP
12-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Granted, and I'm not excusing the fact that he did steal that flag from the church, but it's the whole 'hate crime' thing about this that's fucking ridiculous. If a Muslim living in this country burns the American flag, it's freedom of expression, but this guy burns a gay flag and it's a hate crime.

You know the answer. Say it with me... Actions against those historically in the ruling class aren't hate. They are resistance. Actions against those historically in the ruling class aren't hate. They are resistance.

Even if you are a ruling class minority, doesn't matter. That's still hate.