PDA

View Full Version : Grandmother tased by deputies on 70th birthday

Teh One Who Knocks
12-30-2019, 11:46 AM
By Kenneth Garger - The New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/Jp7eswT.jpg

A grandmother said she was tased three times and arrested on her 70th birthday for not cooperating with sheriff’s deputies trying to arrest her grandson at her Florida home, a report said.

The confrontation between Barbara Pinkney and members of the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office occurred last Thursday when the deputies tried to enter her home in search of Tevin Turner, according to WFLA, citing authorities.

Turner was being sought for allegedly violating his probation by carrying a concealed weapon, the report said.

Pinkney, who claimed her grandson wasn’t home at the time, refused to let the deputies inside and tried to close the door.

The sheriff’s office believes Turner may have been inside, but escaped amid the struggle, the report said.

“When he was on probation he gave this as his address, but he wasn’t living here,” Pinkney told the outlet.

During the scuffle, part of which was caught on camera by Turner’s wife, the deputies tased Pinkney in her left arm and back, according to a probable cause affidavit.

A deputy also held her to the ground.

“I was just hollering. I was scared. I didn’t know what else to do. I was just hollering,” Pinkney said.

The grandmother was arrested for obstruction and resisting an officer.

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2019, 12:49 PM
I'm assuming they had a warrant.

lost in melb.
12-30-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm assuming they had a warrant.

Do you need a search warrant to search a house for a criminal if you see them go in there?

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Do you need a search warrant to search a house for a criminal if you see them go in there?

They believed he was in there... the article didn't say that they saw him go in there.

lost in melb.
12-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I know. Just trying to tease it out, the possibilities

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I know. Just trying to tease it out, the possibilities

If they know he's in there, if they've seen him enter and can prove it, then because of the exception known as exigent circumstances, then they can perform the search without the search warrant. They could justify entering without a search warrant with the argument that he may skidaddle in the time it takes for them to go to a judge to issue a search warrant to enter the home. In this actual case, they may justify the entrance by virtue of him listing her home as his address, but it would be challenged in court.

Just in case, keep in mind that arrest warrants and search warrants are two separate things. One does not substitute for the other.

lost in melb.
12-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification. They must have had a search warrant then

DemonGeminiX
12-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification. They must have had a search warrant then

I'm sure there was a standing arrest warrant for the guy, but according to the article's wording, it doesn't sound like they had a search warrant for the home, and no definite knowledge that he was in the house at the time. I could be wrong though. The author could have intentionally left out the fact that they had a search warrant to try to drum up sympathy for the grandmother.