PDA

View Full Version : Using Red Flag law, woman files paperwork against CSU officer who shot and killed her son

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2020, 02:54 PM
BY LORI JANE GLIHA, ERIC RUBLE AND ASHLEY MICHELS - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/y2Bkoqm.png

LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. -- A woman has filed a petition and affidavit for an extreme risk protection order (ERPO) against the Colorado State University police officer who fatally shot her son in 2017.

The paperwork was filed Jan. 9. A judge will hear the case Thursday.

To file an ERPO, someone must meet certain conditions, such as living with or be related to the gun owner.

In the ERPO, under penalty of perjury, Susan Holmes claims she has a child in common with CSU police Officer Phillip Morris.

Holmes told the FOX31 Problems she planned to argue in court that she had a different interpretation of what “have a child in common” actually means.

Susan Holmes' son, Jeremy Holmes, 19, was killed during an encounter with Morris and another police officer on July 1, 2017. Holmes possessed a large hunting knife at the time and body camera footage shows he started running toward the officers with the weapon before they opened fire.

District Attorney Clifford Riedel found the shooting to be “clearly justified.”

In the ERPO, Holmes says Morris "used his firearm to recklessly and violently threaten and kill 19-year-old Jeremy Holmes."

The FOX31 Problem Solvers learned there are a total of five ERPOs filed in Colorado courts so far.

Two were filed in Denver County, two were filed in Larimer County and one was filed and denied in Lincoln County.

On Wednesday afternoon, CSU provided the following comment:

"CSUPD Cpl. Morris is not on leave and continues to serve in his capacity as a peace officer at CSU, and continues to lawfully carry his weapons. He does not share a child with Susan Holmes.

CSU does not share whether an employee has been subject to disciplinary action, as that is confidential personnel information. That being said, as you know, District Attorney Cliff Riedel’s office investigated the incident related to Mr. Holmes and determined that Corporal Morris was justified in his actions and, in fact, took numerous steps to try and deescalate the situation. A link to the letter is here.

CSU believes the letter speaks for itself. Cpl. Morris’s service to our community as an officer since January of 2012 has been consistently honorable and professional."

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Yeah, OK. I sincerely doubt this is gonna fly, lady.

Pony
01-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Yea right.....

Here's the body cam video (graphic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZNvcQdTGQs&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC ZNvcQdTGQs&has_verified=1

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Suicide by cop. That cop gave that kid every chance that he could.

Pony
01-16-2020, 03:43 PM
And here's more info on what the mother is saying to justify her claim:

Susan now argues that police overreacted in handling her 911 call.
“Kids say that all the time about ‘I’m gonna kill my brother…he’s pissed me off,’” she told KDVR. “I didn’t even take it seriously.”

Under the penalty of perjury, Susan claimed in the documents that she and Cpl. Morris have a child together and that the officer is her family member – a statements that are entirely false, according to KUSA.
She further alleged that “Phil Morris used his firearm to recklessly & violently threaten and kill” her son.

Susan also endorsed a statement on the petition accusing Cpl. Morris of threatening or harming others.
"There have been a pattern of acts or credible threats of violence by the respondent in the last year, including but not limited to acts or credible threats of violence against self or others,” the document read, according to the Coloradoan.

Susan provided no evidence to bolster her bold claim, noting only that the details of the additional alleged wrongdoings were “unknown but possible,” the Coloradoan reported.

She also alleged that it is “unknown but possible,” that Cpl. Morris may have previously been convicted of a domestic violence offense, and accused him of “ongoing violence and aggression from 2013-2017.”
“I filed this ERPO because there was a coverup in my son’s murder,” Susan told KDVR. “I believe Officer Phil Morris murdered my son.”

She noted that Cpl. Morris is “absolutely” a danger to the public.
“He shouldn’t even be a police officer!” she declared.

Susan also dismissed questions regarding her claim that she and Cpl. Morris share a child together.
“People might think it’s weird. I don’t.” she told KDVR. “I can’t talk about my strategy of what I’m going to present in court on that.”

Susan said she is pushing to have the red flag law amended so that members of the public can file for ERPOs against law enforcement officers.
“I’ve never received any justice, and neither has my son,” Susan said in a YouTube video showcasing her petition paperwork. “He was slaughtered by Officer Phil Morris…I think he should never have a gun again in his life. He shouldn’t even be a police officer.”

“Jeremy’s just quietly walking down the street doing nothing. No harm to anybody. Nothing,” she added. “[Cpl. Morris is] out of control and violent and kills teenagers.”

Colorado House Minority Leader Representative Patrick Neville blasted the red flag law in a tweet on Tuesday.

"We predicted this and said a falsely accused person has no recourse other than hoping a DA files charges. No recourse to recoup lost wages or reputation," Neville wrote. "One example of many about how this bill was so horribly written."

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2020, 03:47 PM
If they don't bring charges against this woman...

Pony
01-16-2020, 03:53 PM
If they don't bring charges against this woman...

But,but,but her baby din do nuffin!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2020, 06:26 PM
BY DARA BITLER AND LORI JANE GLIHA - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/lrJKjnb.jpg

LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. — A woman’s request for an extreme risk protection order (ERPO) against the Colorado State University police officer who fatally shot her son in 2017 has been denied.

The paperwork was filed Jan. 9. A judge heard the case Thursday and denied the request.

The judge found there is no family member in common between her and colleagues, so she has no standing.

To file an ERPO, someone must meet certain conditions, such as living with or be related to the gun owner.

In the ERPO, under penalty of perjury, Susan Holmes claims she has a child in common with CSU police Officer Phillip Morris.

Holmes told the FOX31 Problems she planned to argue in court that she had a different interpretation of what “have a child in common” actually means.

Susan Holmes’ son, Jeremy Holmes, 19, was killed during an encounter with Morris and another police officer on July 1, 2017. Holmes possessed a large hunting knife at the time and body camera footage shows he started running toward the officers with the weapon before they opened fire.

District Attorney Clifford Riedel found the shooting to be “clearly justified.”

In the ERPO, Holmes says Morris “used his firearm to recklessly and violently threaten and kill 19-year-old Jeremy Holmes.”