PDA

View Full Version : '59er Diner owner expects to lose $40,000 this year due to state's increased minimum wage

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Eric Wilkinson - King 5 News

https://i.imgur.com/OxmCjid.png

CHELAN COUNTY, Wash. —

With the minimum wage increase in Washington state, some small diners are finding that the larger wages for employees are eating into their profits.

Joe Canatta, owner of the '59er Diner near Stevens Pass, said he expects to lose $40,000 this year with the increased minimum wage. He said he has already raised prices twice over the last three years to accommodate.

"If it's $15 for a hamburger, on their way home, people are not gonna stop at the diner because it's just too expensive,” Canatta said.

As of 2020, the state’s minimum wage will increase to at least $13.50 an hour for some types of employers.

Canatta supports a higher minimum wage, but he thinks there's a better way to do it.

He's in favor of something called a "tip credit."

Here's how it works: The state would lower the minimum wage for servers to a yet-to-be-determined rate. If tips don't bring their hourly wage to $15, the restaurant would pay the rest. That guarantees a wage of at least $15, but not all of it would come from the employer's pockets.

"I think restaurants are the third biggest employer in the country," said Canatta. "At least let's talk about this part of our business instead of just raising hamburger prices and kicking people out of the service process."

While most states employ some form of tip credit, there doesn't appear to be a political appetite in Washington.

Some Democratic lawmakers believe any decrease in the minimum wage would be a step backward in the fight for fair pay.

The new minimum wage in 2020 will be as follows:

Large employers in the city of Seattle: $16.39 per hour.

Small employers in the city of Seattle: $15.75 per hour or $13.50 per hour if they pay at least $2.25 per hour toward the employee’s medical benefits or the employee earns at least $2.25 per hour in tips.

Washington voters passed Initiative 1433 in 2016, setting increases to the state’s minimum wage every year from 2017 to 2020 when it will reach $13.50 an hour.

Having a “tip credit” is not even up for discussion in Olympia at this point.

Without some sort of credit, Canatta sees all the waitresses in his diner named "Flo" being replaced by computer kiosks, the same ones seen at chain restaurants.

"Those computers on the tables at every Applebee's. They're not there for looks. They're there to replace people's jobs. I'd much rather walk in and greet Flo and give Flo a hug. You can't hug a computer,” Canatta said.

perrhaps
01-22-2020, 10:27 AM
I call partial B.S. What salary is he paying himself, and if he owns the land the diner is on, how much rent is he paying himself?

Only an idiot would shell out $40k/year to keep the doors open.

lost in melb.
01-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Agreed. Losing 40,000 is very ambiguous. Let's see those books...

state’s minimum wage will increase to at least $13.50 an hour for some types of employers.

And yet we don't get those details. Lovely biased article

PorkChopSandwiches
01-22-2020, 08:32 PM
Its is bullshit they dont include tips. I currently have to pay 13 an hour, when I include only the CC tips (excluding any cash tips) they are paid about $24 an hour. Seems a bit out of whack for pouring a beer

Muddy
01-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Gimme a job mafcka..!!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2020, 08:54 PM
I call partial B.S. What salary is he paying himself, and if he owns the land the diner is on, how much rent is he paying himself?

Only an idiot would shell out $40k/year to keep the doors open.

Have you never seen an episode of Restaurant Impossible or any of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant rescue shows? People are running in the red all the time, lots of them losing more than $40K/year just trying to keep the doors open for various reasons. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this guy is going to lose money because his costs are drastically going up.

perrhaps
01-23-2020, 10:36 AM
Have you never seen an episode of Restaurant Impossible or any of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant rescue shows? People are running in the red all the time, lots of them losing more than $40K/year just trying to keep the doors open for various reasons. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this guy is going to lose money because his costs are drastically going up.

Have you ever owned or been a partner/shareholder in a business and/or practice located on real estate owned by the same person or people under two different corporate entities? I did for over thirty years and the first thing our CPA told us to do was to pay ourselves as much rent as possible to avoid paying Social Security taxes on earned income. It would be just as possible that this guy is putting money in his pocket while claiming to "lose" $40k a year. You simply can't tell without seeing all his books.

And, yes, I've seen those shows, where the premise seems to be that outdated décor+ lousy food+ bad service = failing restaurants