PDA

View Full Version : Bill would create 32-hour workweek in Washington

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2020, 11:46 AM
King 5 Staff Report

https://i.imgur.com/zHtQ1Po.png

SEATTLE — Would you want to cap the workweek at 32 hours? A Washington lawmaker wants to explore lowering the threshold for full-time work.

State Sen. Joe Nguyen, D-White Center, introduced Senate Bill 6516 on Monday, which would reduce the normal workweek by eight hours.

“I think younger folks that are kind of in my age demographic tend to believe in more flexibility in the work schedule,” Nguyen said.

Under the bill, if employees work more than 32 hours per week, they would be required to receive time-and-a-half pay for additional hours worked.

Existing overtime exemptions would also apply, including workers who ask for time off instead of extra pay, some seasonal employees, and some agricultural workers.

Nguyen said he introduced the bill to acknowledge that work dynamics have shifted since the five-day workweek was established more than a century ago and posited that a shorter workweek could result in happier and healthier workers.

"This is a good thing to help workers either reduce mental anguish, stress or give them opportunities to be more free with their time as well and still be just as productive if not more productive," Nguyen said.

Some tech companies, including Microsoft Japan, have tested a four-day workweek with promising results. The Guardian reported in November the company gave its 2,300 workers Fridays off for five weeks, resulting in a 40% increase in productivity.

Nguyen acknowledged the bill might not pass the Legislature the first time around, but said he wanted to bring the issue to the public eye and hear from small businesses or workers who would be impacted.

“The point of this bill is really to start that conversation,” Nguyen said.

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Those business owners are probably gonna put a hit out on your ass. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2020, 11:53 AM
You know what this means? It just means that a lot of workers in Washington will all get their hours cut so that they don't break 32 hours and need to be paid OT. So people will be losing at least 8 hours/week in pay.

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2020, 11:57 AM
It also means that a lot of junk is gonna take longer to get done in Washington state, so customers will probably look elsewhere out of state to get what they need. That'll hurt Washington state's economy.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2020, 12:18 PM
It also means that a lot of junk is gonna take longer to get done in Washington state, so customers will probably look elsewhere out of state to get what they need. That'll hurt Washington state's economy.

That too. It's absolutely ridiculous. And note that the politician that is putting this forward said he's doing it for the younger generation...who are already (for the most part, not all of them) lazy and entitled and coddled.

lost in melb.
01-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Good - health comes first!

I'm on a liberal roll today :dance:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2020, 04:02 PM
I'm on a lunatic roll today :dance:

:nuts:

Muddy
01-22-2020, 05:20 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-22-2020, 08:22 PM
WTF I'm not working an extra 8 hours a week

perrhaps
01-23-2020, 11:22 AM
You know what this means? It just means that a lot of workers in Washington will all get their hours cut so that they don't break 32 hours and need to be paid OT. So people will be losing at least 8 hours/week in pay.

Not necessarily. Say I'm an employer there who pays $20.00 an hour for a 40 hour workweek. What this bozo doesn't seem to understand is that this means my employees are willing to work 40 hours/week for $800.00 gross pay.

So, if Joe and his crack team of legislative economists pass this silly law, I meet with my employees and explain to them that their new hourly wage is $18.20/hour. Their 32 hour total will be $582.40, but if they choose to work 8 hours overtime a week at $27.30/hour their weekly gross wage will be $800.80.

Joe simply has too much time on his hands for stupid discussions.

Godfather
01-24-2020, 07:06 AM
Some tech companies, including Microsoft Japan, have tested a four-day workweek with promising results. The Guardian reported in November the company gave its 2,300 workers Fridays off for five weeks, resulting in a 40% increase in productivity.

I find this part of the story most interesting. Studies seem to show people can be as or more productive in less time. I see our 40-hour employees waste a lot of hours. We have metrics to measure it.

If you were a salaried office worker promised the same pay, but also the same duties, with the expectation that you only work 32 hours - you'd have to be curious enough to give it a try?

I'd wager most folks would still get the same job done, and could potentially be happier with the work-life balance (which in turn may make you more productive). That's what the science seems to show. The 40 hour work week is this construct we've had up on a pedestal as the standard work week for decades. Why not at least question it? What if that it's not the ideal number of hours for productivity?

That said - I think this should be driven by the private sector as a competitive advantage from an HR and productivity standpoint... not the government telling companies what to do. I highly doubt it's the right solution for every company and industry, how could it possibly work for service/retail.