PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton ‘intimidated’ by Tulsi Gabbard's $50M lawsuit, won’t accept legal documents, lawyer claims: report

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2020, 11:28 AM
By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/HkLkjYM.png

Hillary Clinton or her representatives have, on at least two occasions, declined to accept legal papers delivered in connection with Tulsi Gabbard’s lawsuit against her, Gabbard’s attorney claims.

Gabbard, a Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii who is seeking the party's 2020 presidential nomination, filed a $50 million lawsuit against Clinton last week over the former secretary of state’s insinuation that Gabbard was a “Russian asset.”

Brian Dunne, an attorney representing Gabbard, told the New York Post that Secret Service agents turned away a process server Tuesday when the server tried to deliver the lawsuit to Clinton’s home in Chappaqua, N.Y., north of New York City.

Dunne said the server was instructed instead to deliver the papers to the Washington office of Clinton’s lawyer, David Kendall, but Kendall’s firm, Williams & Connolly, also declined to accept the legal papers, according to the Post.

“I find it rather unbelievable that Hillary Clinton is so intimidated by Tulsi Gabbard that she won’t accept service of process,” Dunne told the newspaper. “But I guess here we are.”

Dunne told the paper his team is considering what steps to take next.

During a Jan. 23 appearance on "Fox & Friends," Gabbard accused Clinton of using “smear tactics” against her in an attempt to suppress her freedom of speech.

“I have dedicated my entire adult life to serving our country,” said Gabbard, 38, a member of the Hawaii Army National Guard who served in Iraq before being elected to Congress in 2012, “and for Hillary Clinton and her powerful allies to attempt to smear me and accuse me -- really implying that I'm a traitor to the country that I love -- is something that I cannot allow to go unchecked."

Clinton had said in an October 2019 interview that one of the Democratic presidential candidates was “the favorite of the Russians” and was being groomed as a third-party candidate for the 2020 general election in November.

Clinton never mentioned Gabbard by name, but when asked to confirm whether the former first lady was referring to Gabbard, Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill responded, “If the nesting doll fits … ” a reference to popular Russian dolls.

The remarks from Clinton drew immediate pushback from Gabbard on Oct. 18.

“Great! Thank you @HillaryClinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and the personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a … concerted campaign to destroy my reputation. We wondered who was behind it and why. Now we know – it was always you, through your proxies and … powerful allies in the corporate media and war machine, afraid of the threat I pose. It’s now clear that this primary is between you and me. Don’t cowardly hide behind your proxies. Join the race directly.
Gabbard’s camp announced the lawsuit soon after the congresswoman’s Jan. 21 remarks, in which she criticized Clinton for claiming about Sen. Bernie Sanders that “nobody likes him” and that “he got nothing done” as a lawmaker.

“It’s time to grow up, you know? This isn’t high school,” Gabbard told WMUR-TV in Manchester, N.H., referring to the Clinton comments.
Gabbard had supported Sanders in the 2016 race, and visited a Sanders campaign office in Plymouth, N.H., earlier this week in what was being viewed as a sign of dealmaking among Democratic candidates as the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary draw closer, The Washington Post reported.

Goofy
01-30-2020, 01:20 PM
She called me a nasty name, i want 50 million.... waaaaaaah

What the fuck even is this world we live in?

Muddy
01-30-2020, 02:01 PM

I think the bigger point is that someone is taking on Hillary Clintons war machine of alleged intimidation, collusion, and corruption..

fricnjay
01-30-2020, 04:54 PM
This just in, Tulsi Gabbard will be committing suicide next week. :rip:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-30-2020, 05:13 PM

She called a presidential candidate a Russian Asset as the ex Secretary of State, that's a bit more then name calling

RBP
01-31-2020, 04:22 AM
What is the procedure if process servers are refused?

DemonGeminiX
01-31-2020, 05:22 AM

In my understanding of most in-state small claims cases, the defendant could lose the case by default if they refuse a summons. It's probably different because of the large amount of money being asked to be rewarded, and the fact that it's on a national level, i.e. in federal court.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-31-2020, 10:35 AM
By Dom Calicchio, Rob DiRienzo | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/ZtiQgi5l.jpg

A lawyer for Hillary Clinton has finally accepted legal documents in connection with a $50 million defamation lawsuit filed by 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard, the Hawaii congresswoman’s lawyer told Fox News on Thursday night.

“We look forward to finally moving forward on the merits” of the case, said Brian Dunne, lead attorney representing Gabbard, who is suing over Clinton indirectly referring to her as a “Russian asset” during an October interview.

The development comes after Clinton or her representatives declined to accept the papers in three previous attempts to serve them, Dunne said.

“Today, after the media picked up this story, Ms. Clinton’s lawyer changed course and agreed to accept service,” Dunne told Fox News in a statement. “We would have preferred that Ms. Clinton just accept federal judicial process in the first instance, without having to be called out by the press, but in any event, Tulsi Gabbard’s lawsuit against her will now be moving forward.”

Fox News left written and phone messages late Thursday for Clinton attorney David Kendall of the Washington law firm Williams & Connolly LLP but did not receive a response.

At a campaign event in Portsmouth, N.H., on Thursday evening, Gabbard hadn’t yet heard that Clinton’s team accepted the legal papers.

“The latest that I've heard is that it's what's been reported, that she has refused to be served the documents related to the lawsuit,” Gabbard told reporters. “I think this is unfortunate, you know. No one is above the law. This lawsuit is about accountability – not just for me but for all service members and for the American people.”

Clinton had said in an October 2019 interview that one of the Democratic presidential candidates was “the favorite of the Russians” and was being groomed as a third-party candidate for the 2020 general election in November.

Clinton never mentioned Gabbard by name, but when asked to confirm whether the former first lady was referring to Gabbard, Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill responded at the time, “If the nesting doll fits … ” a reference to popular Russian dolls.

Clinton’s response to the lawsuit will likely be due around the end of March, and the first hearing in the case will likely be scheduled around that time, Dunne said.

Dunne said his office previously tried to serve the legal documents to Clinton three times – once at an address said to be a Clinton office, once at the Clintons’ home in Chappaqua, N.Y., and once at Kendall’s office – but the deliveries were rejected each of those times.

The Clinton office address “turned out to be a mail drop,” Dunne said.

He added that the Chappaqua delivery was denied by Secret Service agents at the Clinton home.

“I have my concerns about the use of Secret Service agents to interfere with service of federal judicial documents, but I digress,” Dunne wrote in his statement.

At Kendall’s office, “our server was told Kendall ‘is not authorized to accept service on behalf of Hillary Clinton,’” Dunne wrote.

perrhaps
01-31-2020, 10:37 AM

In PA, Gabbard's lawyers could petition the Court and get permission to serve Clinton by publication in the Legal Notices section in the advertising portion of Clinton's local newspaper of general circulation.