PDA

View Full Version : Opioid 'consumption sites' coming to Illinois

RBP
02-01-2020, 10:16 PM
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS) - Governor JB Pritzker has just set aside $4.1 million to help fight Illinois’ opioid crisis with a new executive order. Included in those efforts are "supervised consumption sites"

These four centers will focus on making sure people are using clean needles, have access to recovery information and be around someone who could get them medical help in an overdose.

"The idea is that they are trapped in [a] position, like many people are with other types of addiction. And we should try to help them navigate their addiction as best we can so that they don't die,” said Wiley Jenkins, Chief of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at SIU School of Medicine.

Local health officials say they have seen success with these centers in larger cities... Which is why they recommend trying them out in Chicago first.

"Larger cities in California and Chicago, I think they can have a greater success and start a trend, get a good model going,” said Joan Stevens Thome, Director of Health Education at the Sangamon County Department of Public Health.

But not everyone is on board with the idea. The Illinois Sheriff's Association tells us they hadn't heard about the consumption sites until we brought it to their attention.

"As a society, and especially in law enforcement, [we] are trying to get people to quit using this. And it appears that we are just going to perpetuate it and encourage the continued use of it, rather than try to stop it all together."

And while a controversial approach. public health experts say we should keep an open mind.

"As a public health practitioner, one of my biggest goals with working with individuals who misuse opioids and are frequently addicted is very honestly to keep them alive long enough that they may seek recovery,” Jenkins said.

One major concern for Sheriff Campbell is the type of activity these sites could attract, including people looking to buy drugs.

Over the next six months, The Illinois Department of Human Services will conduct a study looking into what these consumption sites might look like in the state. That will help determine where the sites are placed.

==================================

Poor man's California. The people's republic if Illinois.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2020, 04:03 PM
They tried something similar to this here, only it was for the City and County of Denver. The mayor was all behind it (an uber liberal democrat of course) but it didn't go through because it would be in violation of federal drug laws and they didn't want to deal with that ultimately.

Godfather
02-02-2020, 09:12 PM
They have them here too. I'm not convinced it's the right approach.

I'd love for you guys (RBP in particular) to listen to what Dr. Drew said in a podcast this week starting at the 22:25 mark, touching on safe injection sites, how it makes it too easy to use, and the homeless population in general. He's hoping mad the government isn't listening to his vast experience with this crisis, and that they (the local government) are just obsessed with this idea of free housing as the only solution.

https://youtu.be/QI9IO2dwzPM?list=PL-i3EV1v5hLfMRcYoJ3dSwzPLVKDCmgxE&t=1344

RBP
02-07-2020, 07:26 PM
They have them here too. I'm not convinced it's the right approach.

I'd love for you guys (RBP in particular) to listen to what Dr. Drew said in a podcast this week starting at the 22:25 mark, touching on safe injection sites, how it makes it too easy to use, and the homeless population in general. He's hoping mad the government isn't listening to his vast experience with this crisis, and that they (the local government) are just obsessed with this idea of free housing as the only solution.

https://youtu.be/QI9IO2dwzPM?list=PL-i3EV1v5hLfMRcYoJ3dSwzPLVKDCmgxE&t=1344

Interesting perspective. I will look more into the brain function piece he's talking about. But he's right about not having a mechanism to force treatment. Well, not until they commit a crime, then we can do whatever we want. It's messed up.

And Brit Brit looks hot. :lol: