PDA

View Full Version : Ilhan Omar Wants Student Debt Canceled, Compares Students To War Veterans. She Gets Slammed.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2020, 06:50 PM
By Hank Berrien - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/mDSZfUNl.jpg

On Thursday, far-left Congresswoman Ilhan Omar, in an attempt to push the idea that all student debt should be canceled, compared college students to the veterans who have fought for America in wars from World War II to present-day Afghanistan, retweeting a quote that stated, “Imagine what it would do for our country and those who live here if we were to take the ethos behind the original G.I. Bill and apply it to everybody—canceling all student debt and making public colleges, universities, and vocational schools tuition-free.”
The GI Bill was passed by Congress in 1944. Warren Atherton, the National Commander of the American Legion, noted the varied resolutions adopted by the Legion at their 1943 National Convention in Omaha, and discussed them with Francis Sullivan, the Legion’s Acting Legislative Director. Atherton said later, “Francis Sullivan told me that our most urgent problem was for right then, not later. Cash was needed for disabled, discharged veterans. Hundreds were being released weekly without a cent in their pockets and no provision for support or care. Hundreds of thousands of service records had already been destroyed in little incidents on land and sea. Under then existing laws, the services were not paying discharges whose records weren’t in order. Service pay for some was a year and more in arrears.”

Atherton spoke to the House Veterans Affairs and demanded that $500 mustering-out pay be paid to all dischargees immediately so that they could survive. The Hearst newspapers entered the fray, supporting the American Legion. Jack Cejl1ar, the Legion’s acting Director of Public Relations, stated, “It’s a bill of rights. The GI Bill of Rights!”

The Department of Veterans Affairs delineates how powerful the GI Bill was:

Before the war, college and homeownership were, for the most part, unreachable dreams for the average American. Thanks to the GI Bill, millions who would have flooded the job market instead opted for education. In the peak year of 1947, Veterans accounted for 49 percent of college admissions. By the time the original GI Bill ended on July 25, 1956, 7.8 million of 16 million World War II Veterans had participated in an education or training program. Millions also took advantage of the GI Bill’s home loan guaranty. From 1944 to 1952, VA backed nearly 2.4 million home loans for World War II Veterans.

The Department states, “Since 1944, the GI Bill has helped qualifying Veterans and their family members get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training.”

Over 290,000 U.S. soldiers died in World War II. Over 33,000 more died in the Korean War. Over 47,000 died in the Vietnam War. Over 240 died in the 1983 attack on a barracks in Lebanon by Islamic fundamentalists. Roughly 150 died in the Gulf War. Over 1,800 have died in Afghanistan. Over 3,800 died in the war in Iraq.

Chris Manning, who served in Afghanistan and ran for Congress in 2018, had a succinct response for Omar, tweeting, “I’m a recipient of the GI Bill. The GI Bill was earned by agreeing to serve my country for six years and to put my life at risk as an infantryman in Afghanistan. It wasn’t something just given to me with nothing expected in return. Don’t cheapen our sacrifice w/ this comparison.”

Godfather
02-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Hypothetically, if an macroeconomist could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that cancelling student debt would be a net gain for the economy, would a good chunk of people still be opposed because they don't like college students and colleges?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Hypothetically, if an macroeconomist could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that cancelling student debt would be a net gain for the economy, would a good chunk of people still be opposed because they don't like college students and colleges?Why do you assume that just because someone is against canceling student debt, that automatically makes them "anti-college"? I'm against people voluntarily entering into an agreement, and then whining about it after because they're $200K in debt because their Brandeis degree in gender studies isn't allowing them to get a 6 figure job where they can work from home, have Mondays and Fridays off, and don't get held to any standards because they "have anxiety"and to question them would be a microagression or a hate crime or both.

Nobody is forcing these people to go to school and get asinine degrees. You don't hear people that went to med school whining. Or law school. Or engineering school. Because they can get real jobs that pay real money.

Why stop at student loans? How about paying off my mortgage? I mean, it is a huge chunk of my income and I wouldn't need to work so hard if I didn't have that hanging over my head. And I can guarantee with almost certainty that paying off people's mortgages would have a more positive effect on the economy than paying off whiny student's debt.

/rant

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Hypothetically, if an macroeconomist could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that cancelling student debt would be a net gain for the economy, would a good chunk of people still be opposed because they don't like college students and colleges?

I'm an ex-college student and loved college, but I'm still not for cancelling student debt. Students entered into an agreement that will teach them responsibility. If they don't learn from that lesson in responsibility, they may never learn to be responsible with money at all. Learn to accept the consequences of your choices, good or bad. Pay off your debts.

Griffin
02-08-2020, 09:34 PM
The GI Bill was enacted to help people who put their lives on the line for their country.
The worst thing these millennials have had to face is standing in line at Starbucks for their cappuccino.

Griffin
02-08-2020, 10:11 PM
In point of fact. My son went to college after high school but left after a year to join the Air Force.
He worked on jets (stateside and abroad) while using the GI Bill to continue his goal towards a degree.
After several years of advancing through the ranks, he was finally accepted into officers training. Anyone who knows the military, knows it is easier to graduate college having never stepped foot in a recruiters office than for an enlisted person to be accepted into training. Then came flight school.
Now he rains hell fire on her terrorist friends. http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?101636-The-Weapons-of-War-thread&p=925890&viewfull=1#post925890

RBP
02-09-2020, 12:46 AM

I'd like to start by eliminating calling it "cancelling" debt. You can't cancel debt; it doesn't go poof. It's the government paying $1.5 Trillion in taxpayer money to eliminate consumer debt.

Canadian healthcare isn't free.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

lost in melb.
02-09-2020, 04:13 AM
Surprisingly I agree with her. Without my parents support and values I wouldn't have had a diddly's chance of getting where I am now. It was way past the age of 18 too - and I would do the same for my kids.

On the other hand cancelling all student debt is just fucking daft. Have them pay it off in time as they earn :??

Higher education should be subsidized, but never free :hand:

Ditto health care. There is a middle ground here :)

lost in melb.
02-09-2020, 04:20 AM
The worst thing these millennials have had to face is standing in line at Starbucks for their cappuccino.

Some things are harder...affordable housing for instance. There's actually a lot that work hard and juggle many responsibilities.

But yes, those that make coffee in a thermos save for that deposit faster :) I used to shop at the market every week when I was a student. Very rarely ate out.