PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton: Monica Lewinsky affair was to ‘manage my anxieties’

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2020, 11:22 AM
By Lee Brown and Tamar Lapin - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/phZwI9D.jpg

He’s never heard of Prozac?

Bill Clinton waves off his tawdry affair with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky in a new documentary — by saying it was something he did “to manage my anxiety.”

The ex-president, in the upcoming Hulu series “Hillary” about his wife, likens working in the Oval Office to being a boxer “staggering” around after a 15-round prize fight that’s been extended to 30-rounds.

“And here’s something that’ll take your mind off it for a while,” Clinton, 73, says of his two-year tryst with Lewinsky that began in 1995 when she was 22.

“Everybody’s life has pressures and disappointments, terrors, fears of whatever,” he continues.

“Things I did to manage my anxieties for years.”

Episode three of the one-sided, four-part biography series about Hillary Clinton — which premieres Friday — focuses on the sordid, 25-year-old affair that almost ended Clinton’s presidency and dogged his wife throughout her own political career.

Titled “The Hardest Decision,” the episode leads with footage from the 2016 campaign in which President Trump talks about the scandalous liaison, calling Hillary “an enabler.”

It later cuts to Bill’s deposition in Paula Jones’ sexual harassment lawsuit against him, in which he was asked detailed questions about Lewinsky.

Statements he made denying the affair in that deposition were the basis for the perjury charges that led to his impeachment in the House, before his ultimate acquittal in the Senate in 1999.

When news of the relationship was about to break, Bill woke Hillary to alert her.

“I was just waking up … I was having a hard time processing and I said, ‘What are you talking about? What is this? What do you mean?’” Hillary, 72, recalled.

“He said, ‘There’s nothing to it. It’s not true. I may have been too nice to her, I may have paid her too much attention … but there was nothing.’”

“He was adamant, and he was convincing to me,” she said.

The former first lady said she was convinced the accusation was made up — harkening to her infamous allegations of a “vast right-wing conspiracy” out to get her and her husband.

“If they could make up something, they were so partisan that they would do it,” she says.

But Bill eventually owned up to straying.

“I went and sat on the bed and talked to her. I told her exactly what happened, when it happened,” he says in the documentary. “I said I feel terrible about it … I have no defenses, it’s inexcusable what I did.”

Upon his admission, Hillary says she was “devastated.”

“I was so, you know, personally hurt,” she says, becoming emotional. “It just … anyway, it was … horrible.”

She then made him tell their daughter, Chelsea, which Bill says was “just awful.”

“Justifiably what I did was wrong. I just hated to hurt her but … we all bring our baggage to life and sometimes we do things we shouldn’t do and it was awful what I did.”

Bill claims to be “a different, totally different person than I was” and extends a half-baked apology to Lewinsky.

“I feel terrible about the fact that Monica Lewinsky’s life was defined by it, unfairly I think, over the years I’ve watched her try to get a normal life again,” he says.

Lewinsky, 46, has said that in light of the #MeToo movement, she’s come to see her relationship with Clinton as “a gross abuse of power,” on his part, based on their 27-year age gap and his position.

The documentary does not address her statements, which she wrote about in a 2018 Vanity Fair article, nor did Lewinsky participate in the documentary. She declined to comment to The Post, via her rep.

Hillary also doesn’t comment on the impact of the affair on Lewinsky, but says that she and Bill went to counseling, which led to “painful, painful discussions.”

She also maintains that she doesn’t believe Bill should have been impeached over the affair.

“He shouldn’t have done what he did, he shouldn’t have tried to hide it, but it was not an impeachable offense,” says Hillary, who was a member of the impeachment inquiry staff that advised the House Judiciary Committee during Watergate.

She acknowledges that her decision to stay with Bill didn’t sit well with many, but said she stands by it.

“I was so grateful she thought we still had enough to stick it out,” Bill says.

DemonGeminiX
03-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Why the fuck does she have a four-part miniseries about her at all?

lost in melb.
03-06-2020, 11:30 AM
They don't make mini series about trump's affairs :fu:

lost in melb.
03-06-2020, 11:32 AM
I just wanted to add. Look at that huge mouth of hers... You can tell she earnt her retirement package