PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: The sick joke of Donald Trump's presidency isn't funny any more

lost in melb.
03-14-2020, 10:30 PM
Richard Wolffe
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/uploads/2017/10/09/Richard-Wolffe,-L.png?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

The coronavirus outbreak has revealed the full stupidity, incompetence and selfishness of the president to deadly effect

For three long years the world has been treated to the sick joke of Donald Trump’s presidency. Some days were more sick than others. But now the joke is over.

So is the entire facade of the Trump White House: the gold-plated veneer of power and grift will be stripped bare by a global pandemic and recession.

Of all the obituaries we’ll read in the next several weeks, every one will be more meaningful than the political end of a former reality-TV star.

https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/8b28b1e/2147483647/resize/463x/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fe3%2F09%2 F2f524a704722b53c8336d0c2ab35%2F200312-trump-ap-2-773.jpg

But make no mistake. The humanitarian crisis about to unfold will consume what’s left of this president and the Republican party that surrendered its self-respect and sense of duty to flatter his ego and avoid his angry tweets.

Trump was right about one thing, and only one thing, as the coronavirus started to spread across the world. The sight of thousands of dead Americans will hurt him politically. It will also hurt many thousands of Americans in reality.

Multiple reports have detailed how Trump did not just ignore the growing pandemic; he actively sought to block his own officials’ attempts to track and stop it. Why has there been such a disastrous lack of testing? Because the president didn’t want to know the answer, and because his staff were too busy fighting each other to do the right thing.

“The boss has made it clear he likes to see his people fight, and he wants the news to be good,” Politico reported one Trump health adviser saying. “This is the world he’s made.”

Never mind a world turned upside down by fear and death. Trump’s world is upended by his gobsmackingly childish comments about how the whole thing will blow over. “It’s going to disappear,” he told one reception inside the White House just two weeks ago. “One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

The only miracle of this presidency is that it’s taken so long for this country to wake up to the catastrophe.

How could we have known that Trump would deny the resources to deal with a disaster, deny the truth about the death toll, and denounce anyone daring to tell the truth?

It wasn’t hard to know. After Hurricane Maria devastated the American island of Puerto Rico in September of his first year in office, Trump gave himself a 10 for his response to the devastation. He also said he couldn’t keep the military in Puerto Rico forever, which was news to the national guard.

At the very time he was bragging about his response and trashing his own citizens, more than 3,000 Americans were dying on the island because of Trump’s botched response to the hurricane. Those Americans were our most vulnerable citizens: the sick and elderly, who lost power, lacked medicine or needed a hospital bed when the hospitals were stricken.

Those are the same Americans who face the greatest peril in the coming weeks from the same toxic mix of callousness and incompetence from the same sociopathic president.

This is everyone’s catastrophe and one man’s calamity. For Trump, there is no escaping the stench of failure that seeps through every unmade decision, every fumbled response, and every unhinged tweet.

This is a president who can’t formulate a coherent coronavirus policy, and can’t even read the words written for him on a prompter.

One paragraph from Wednesday’s disastrous Oval Office address managed to only worsen the political pathogen that is his presidency.

“There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings,” he explained about his new travel ban from Europe, ignoring the reality that he limited all testing so there are no appropriate screenings.

“And these prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval,” he added, wiping out many billions in transatlantic trade – and various other things – with one flap of his lips.

“Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing,” he explained in case anyone had any doubt about his economic stupidity.

“These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom.” Ah yes, the British immunity to coronavirus is a well-documented medical fact. British people who play golf on a Trump course are especially healthy individuals.

If Trump was trying to reassure the markets, he failed, like he always does. Even the Federal Reserve magicking $1.5tn out of thin air could not stop the stock market from suffering its worst single day since the 1987 crash.

“This was the most expensive speech in history,” one investment strategist told the Financial Times.

There is hope amid the horror: an election in just eight months when Americans can vote for a return to the once-normal life of a competent government. Joe Biden’s response on Thursday was a stark reminder of what presidents and vice-presidents used to sound like.

In the meantime, before January 2021, the world faces two deadly diseases: a pandemic and a pathetically incompetent president
“We’ll lead with science,” the former vice-president said. “We’ll listen to the experts. We’ll heed their advice.” It all sounded so shockingly novel. “We’ll build American leadership and rebuild it to rally the world to meet global threats that we are likely to face again. And I’ll always tell you the truth.”

The truth: it’s getting harder to remember a time when we expected our leaders to say such things.

In the meantime, before January 2021, the world faces two deadly diseases: a pandemic and a pathetically incompetent president.

On Thursday, as schools shut down and troops took to the streets of a New York suburb, Trump of course bragged about himself in ways that made you wonder about his own medical condition.

“I mean, think of it: the United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point,” he said in the Oval Office. “Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many. But when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.”

And you know what? Instead of thinking about preparing thousands of new hospital beds, or millions of virus tests, Trump has probably committed the largest part of his brain to thinking about that number. That very tiny number, so small compared to the rest of the world, that represents the full measure of his compassion.

lost in melb.
03-14-2020, 10:31 PM
Guardian journalist Richard Wolffe has his moment :)

Seriously though, think this'll be Trump's Katrina?

Pony
03-14-2020, 11:32 PM
:roll:

RBP
03-15-2020, 12:06 AM
Guardian journalist Richard Wolffe has his moment :)

Seriously though, think this'll be Trump's Katrina?

It depends on what happens; the current level of panic is on the media, not the President. The media coverage has been really irresponsible. The same people were praising Obama for not being aggressive for the first 6 months of the H1N1 outbreak because calm and measured was deemed prudent. Trump has been pretty aggressive comparatively. It feels like more of the same from the TDS crowd. They do this every time there's something new to bitch about. Now THIS will finally end him. <rinse, repeat>

From the CDC:
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

And no widespread panic. The national emergency declaration wasn't declared until 6 months after the outbreak, October v April.

So the Dick that wrote the OP is intentionally playing dumb.

lost in melb.
03-15-2020, 12:43 AM
I thought his mistake was to delay excluding the UK and Ireland, when he had excluded Europe. That was just silly. and from what I read a bunch of testing kits that were already available from WHO were turned down and you guys are really going to need them.

lost in melb.
03-15-2020, 12:46 AM
It depends on what happens; the current level of panic is on the media, not the President. The media coverage has been really irresponsible. The same people were praising Obama for not being aggressive for the first 6 months of the H1N1 outbreak because calm and measured was deemed prudent. Trump has been pretty aggressive comparatively. It feels like more of the same from the TDS crowd. They do this every time there's something new to bitch about. Now THIS will finally end him. <rinse, repeat>

From the CDC:
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

And no widespread panic. The national emergency declaration wasn't declared until 6 months after the outbreak, October v April.

So the Dick that wrote the OP is intentionally playing dumb.

Yeah, but this virus seems a bit different. It could purely be a perceptual thing, but nevertheless it's different.

Agreed, Trump has kind of caught up. A cynic would say he only got interested once the stock market started dropping. And they'll keep writing anything as you know...

KevinD
03-15-2020, 02:03 AM
Its different because of the 24/7 coverage. The federal government did start acting once it was confirmed in our borders. Too much? Not enough? Only time will tell. What bugs me is all the uproar about why Trump wasn't doing anything about the virus in other countries....hmm, I thought just a couple months ago, Trump was being told to keep out of other countries business. As much as I dont like him, he cant catch a break.

lost in melb.
03-15-2020, 03:49 AM
True. But nevertheless if things go sour we'll see the kind of man he is.

Whether he starts taking responsibility, or whether he does his usual default of blaming immigrants, journalists, minorities, liberals and other 'enemies of the state'.

Hikari Kisugi
03-15-2020, 08:18 AM
I thought his mistake was to delay excluding the UK and Ireland, when he had excluded Europe. That was just silly. and from what I read a bunch of testing kits that were already available from WHO were turned down and you guys are really going to need them.

They won't want testing kits, thye will want the UK approach, test those in hospital, ignore the rest. If they can get better on their own, the numbers look better, so the figures make it look like things are under control.
Test those in hospital, so you know who needs a ventilator, and to give them the best chance.

The main problems with Trump are his statements as always are too black and white, and based on ignorance.
4 days ago he said this would be over soon, that it wasn't a big deal, suggested a flu shot might help in front of cameras.
The ignorance was so widely displayed, 4 days later he declares a national emergency.
It looks bad, because it is frightfully awful.

In the UK Johnston is about to get the same slap, due to lack of testing. They have 800 cases, but openly admit the figure is more likely between 5-10K!
We'll know by the eventual numbers of the dead.

DemonGeminiX
03-15-2020, 09:56 AM

Why? The UK and Ireland weren't having nearly the amount of troubles that countries like Italy and France are having, or were having. Situations like this are extremely fluid. You have to act on the information you have on hand.

I don't know about the WHO, but the CDC responds to our unique situation in this country. The WHO deals with the worldwide pandemic, not our unique situation. And I don't think we're going to need them as much as you think that we're going to, we have our own now, and we're producing more every day.

Don't worry, Lost, we've got this.

DemonGeminiX
03-15-2020, 10:52 AM
They won't want testing kits, thye will want the UK approach, test those in hospital, ignore the rest. If they can get better on their own, the numbers look better, so the figures make it look like things are under control.
Test those in hospital, so you know who needs a ventilator, and to give them the best chance.

The main problems with Trump are his statements as always are too black and white, and based on ignorance.
4 days ago he said this would be over soon, that it wasn't a big deal, suggested a flu shot might help in front of cameras.
The ignorance was so widely displayed, 4 days later he declares a national emergency.
It looks bad, because it is frightfully awful.

In the UK Johnston is about to get the same slap, due to lack of testing. They have 800 cases, but openly admit the figure is more likely between 5-10K!
We'll know by the eventual numbers of the dead.

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I DON'T LIKE TRUMP!!!!!!!!! ORANGE MAN BAD!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaders can only comment on the information they have, and I'd hate to break it to you, but you didn't know jack shit either when they released the statements that you think, in hindsight, were asinine. You believe you know something but you don't. You're looking at the leader's statements in hindsight. You knew far less than they did, so shut the hell up. They're not doctors, or virologists, or anything like that. The situation is fluid, and we're on top of it.

You and Lost are idiots spreading bullshit misinformation about this disease. You're parrots repeating fear-mongering bullshit that the media's feeding you. They don't know jack shit. Y'all don't know jack shit. It's not the fucking Hantavirus, for chrissakes. The majority of the people that have died from this disease here in the US are senior citizens in nursing homes, those whose existence are threatened by the common cold. A small portion of relatively few younger people with compromised immune symptoms, respiratory illnesses, and/or heart conditions have gotten jacked up by this thing. A lot of people have had Covid-19 and survived and are currently fine. There's no information on long-term lung damage, but only time will tell.

There's no reason to test everyone. Not everybody needs to be in the hospital on a ventilator. Most people that have it will have manageable symptoms and they can stay home, get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids while they are sick. Grab some OTC medication to alleviate the symptoms to help you through if you do get Covid-19. At this point, there's no reason to think that it wouldn't help. Some people will have more severe but similarly manageable symptoms, like a really bad case of the flu. Anyone that has serious respiratory or cardiac problems should go to the hospital, but if and only if they have severe problems. Severe as in, you can't fucking breathe. Not a periodic hacky cough. Senior citizens will have to take extra caution, as well as people of all ages with immune disorders, dangerous heart conditions and severe respiratory disorders. As it stands right now, you are still more likely to die from the flu than from Covid-19 in this country. Everyone should avoid prolonged contact with those suffering from visible respiratory conditions. This thing spreads by prolonged proximity contact through body secretions. Coughs, sneezes, it's believed to be in your sweat and in your urine as well. Don't go round peeing on people (Porky!). Even though a lot of shit is being cancelled right now, it's unnecessary. But it will help to get this thing under control a lot faster. If you have elderly relatives in nursing homes and you want them to be safe, DON'T GO TO SEE THEM. Yes, it's sad to say, but given the current situation, why take the risk of bringing shit to them if they're effected by it the most? If you're sick, stay the fuck home. Don't go out trying to spread your illness to everybody and their mother. If you feel you need to see a doctor, then call them. They'll tell you what you need to do.

A flu shot might help, because guess what? It's fucking flu season in the US!!! A lot of people are still getting the flu and mistaking it for Covid-19 because it's all over the fucking media like it's the fucking Bubonic Plague. So if you want to give yourself a fighting chance against something that has actually been killing more people annually in the US than Covid-19 has thus far, go get the flu shot if you haven't already. If you don't, then you're a fucking idiot. By the way, if you get the flu shot and you still get the flu, the flu shot might help lessen the symptoms and duration of the flu.

Americans, pay attention to what the CDC is saying. They're on the frontlines of this thing. Ignore the fear-mongering chicken-littles on the board.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

lost in melb.
03-15-2020, 11:42 AM
I hope you're right!

Hikari Kisugi
03-15-2020, 02:34 PM
Indeed. I hope so too.
I understand all you have said regarding who is at risk, and who generally isn't.
It all makes sense, and indeed has been our background position for the past 3 weeks.

I wish our local policy was much better.
It could be, it just isn't.
It is the fault of our politicians.

RBP
03-16-2020, 02:30 AM
Yeah, but this virus seems a bit different. It could purely be a perceptual thing, but nevertheless it's different.

Agreed, Trump has kind of caught up. A cynic would say he only got interested once the stock market started dropping. And they'll keep writing anything as you know...

Anyone with a brain has to be focused on the economics. The UK government is concerned that the panic may have a worse effect than the virus. They believe we are 14 days from peak and trying to isolate now, when this period could build "herd immunity" is a bad move, partially because it's unreasonable to expect people to go underground for that long. They may be right.

And I use the UK because if I say "Trump" it triggers screeching like I'm trying to ass rape a hyeena.

My boy Andrew Yang agrees that it's lunacy to not be focused on the economics at the same time as the virus protocols.

perrhaps
03-16-2020, 08:51 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I DON'T LIKE TRUMP!!!!!!!!! ORANGE MAN BAD!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaders can only comment on the information they have, and I'd hate to break it to you, but you didn't know jack shit either when they released the statements that you think, in hindsight, were asinine. You believe you know something but you don't. You're looking at the leader's statements in hindsight. You knew far less than they did, so shut the hell up. They're not doctors, or virologists, or anything like that. The situation is fluid, and we're on top of it.

You and Lost are idiots spreading bullshit misinformation about this disease. You're parrots repeating fear-mongering bullshit that the media's feeding you. They don't know jack shit. Y'all don't know jack shit. It's not the fucking Hantavirus, for chrissakes. The majority of the people that have died from this disease here in the US are senior citizens in nursing homes, those whose existence are threatened by the common cold. A small portion of relatively few younger people with compromised immune symptoms, respiratory illnesses, and/or heart conditions have gotten jacked up by this thing. A lot of people have had Covid-19 and survived and are currently fine. There's no information on long-term lung damage, but only time will tell.

There's no reason to test everyone. Not everybody needs to be in the hospital on a ventilator. Most people that have it will have manageable symptoms and they can stay home, get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids while they are sick. Grab some OTC medication to alleviate the symptoms to help you through if you do get Covid-19. At this point, there's no reason to think that it wouldn't help. Some people will have more severe but similarly manageable symptoms, like a really bad case of the flu. Anyone that has serious respiratory or cardiac problems should go to the hospital, but if and only if they have severe problems. Severe as in, you can't fucking breathe. Not a periodic hacky cough. Senior citizens will have to take extra caution, as well as people of all ages with immune disorders, dangerous heart conditions and severe respiratory disorders. As it stands right now, you are still more likely to die from the flu than from Covid-19 in this country. Everyone should avoid prolonged contact with those suffering from visible respiratory conditions. This thing spreads by prolonged proximity contact through body secretions. Coughs, sneezes, it's believed to be in your sweat and in your urine as well. Don't go round peeing on people (Porky!). Even though a lot of shit is being cancelled right now, it's unnecessary. But it will help to get this thing under control a lot faster. If you have elderly relatives in nursing homes and you want them to be safe, DON'T GO TO SEE THEM. Yes, it's sad to say, but given the current situation, why take the risk of bringing shit to them if they're effected by it the most? If you're sick, stay the fuck home. Don't go out trying to spread your illness to everybody and their mother. If you feel you need to see a doctor, then call them. They'll tell you what you need to do.

A flu shot might help, because guess what? It's fucking flu season in the US!!! A lot of people are still getting the flu and mistaking it for Covid-19 because it's all over the fucking media like it's the fucking Bubonic Plague. So if you want to give yourself a fighting chance against something that has actually been killing more people annually in the US than Covid-19 has thus far, go get the flu shot if you haven't already. If you don't, then you're a fucking idiot. By the way, if you get the flu shot and you still get the flu, the flu shot might help lessen the symptoms and duration of the flu.

Americans, pay attention to what the CDC is saying. They're on the frontlines of this thing. Ignore the fear-mongering chicken-littles on the board.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

So, is it now okay to ignore the Terms and Conditions (Rule 8) and Code of Conduct No. 3 in general, or only when defending Trump?

lost in melb.
03-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Anyone with a brain has to be focused on the economics. The UK government is concerned that the panic may have a worse effect than the virus. They believe we are 14 days from peak and trying to isolate now, when this period could build "herd immunity" is a bad move, partially because it's unreasonable to expect people to go underground for that long. They may be right.

And I use the UK because if I say "Trump" it triggers screeching like I'm trying to ass rape a hyeena.

My boy Andrew Yang agrees that it's lunacy to not be focused on the economics at the same time as the virus protocols.

It's an interesting experiment. the thing is we already have a model for the containment line of attack. That's China.

I think that, politically, to put it economics over people's lives is suicide, but we'll see.

DemonGeminiX
03-16-2020, 09:13 AM
So, is it now okay to ignore the Terms and Conditions (Rule 8) and Code of Conduct No. 3 in general, or only when defending Trump?

You're right. I went too far, I was wrong, and I apologize to both Lost and Hikari, and to the rest of the forum. There are better ways to debate an issue than to resort to flaming members with opposing points of view.

Hikari Kisugi
03-16-2020, 06:00 PM
I didn't take offense, its an emotive issue.

Muddy
03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
You're right. I went too far, I was wrong, and I apologize to both Lost and Hikari, and to the rest of the forum. There are better ways to debate an issue than to resort to flaming members with opposing points of view.

:spank:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2020, 06:29 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3stwp6.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3stwp6)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

:lol:

Muddy
03-16-2020, 07:02 PM
I dont get it.. ^^

RBP
03-16-2020, 07:05 PM
It's an interesting experiment. the thing is we already have a model for the containment line of attack. That's China.

I think that, politically, to put it economics over people's lives is suicide, but we'll see.

Has to be both. We make economic decisions about lives every day. About the same number of people die from auto accidents as flu every year in the US... 36-38,000 range. Could be cut those numbers significantly? Yes. Is it economically feasible to do so? No.

How many people will die as a result of economic collapse over COVID-19? Potentially more than from the virus? Absolutely.