PDA

View Full Version : AOC accuses Trump of exploiting coronavirus crisis to push tax cuts: 'Unacceptable'

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2020, 11:24 AM
By Sam Dorman | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/z0x0mCHl.jpg

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., laid out a sweeping indictment of President Trump's coronavirus relief plans Tuesday, accusing him of exploiting the public health crisis in order to further his agenda.

"This is unacceptable. Trump is using this public health crisis as an opportunity to push tax cuts and corporate bailouts," she tweeted Tuesday afternoon. "This is an emergency. We need to help vulnerable people & small biz now w/ paid leave, extended unemployment, UBI, Medicaid expansion,&mortgage suspensions."

She was responding to news that the administration's proposed $800 billion economic stimulus would include hundreds of billions of dollars in payroll tax cuts and Small Business Association loans.

Her tweet came amid a press conference in which the administration announced it would seek to provide immediate cash to Americans facing hardship because of the coronavirus.

“We’re looking at sending checks to Americans immediately,” Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said.

While Ocasio-Cortez applauded Trump's efforts, she argued the administration wasn't doing enough to help.
She also advocated a federal jobs guarantee, like the one advanced by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and would presumably promise employment for millions of Americans. Another tweet asserted the country needed "New Deal-style policy," referring to the massive economic reforms passed during the Great Depression.
The freshman congresswoman previously pushed temporary student loan debt relief in response to the crisis. Last week, she called out the Federal Reserve's decision to inject $1.5 trillion of liquidiy into the market, saying that it was the same amount Americans hold in student loan debt.

"FYI, the amount that the Fed just injected almost covers all student loan debt in the US," she tweeted. "There is absolutely NO excuse for not pausing student debt collections, planning for mortgage &rent relief, etc. We need to care for working people as much as we care for the stock market."

Others, like former Obama aide David Plouffe, criticized the administration's response as well. Plouffe tweeted on Tuesday that Democrats should push Trump to do more in response to the virus.
"We need bold action now," Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., tweeted. "A plan that will ensure that we do not repeat the mistakes of the 2008 financial crisis. Debt cancellation. Across the board. Immediately, the Secretary of Education must take over all monthly payments during this public health emergency."

Right-leaning think tanks accused Ocasio-Cortez of inappropriately using the crisis to push her agenda.

"The country is in a crisis that we need to work together to solve, but instead AOC and the left are trying to use the opportunity ram through bad fiscal policy that Americans don't want. Free-stuff-for all is not a solution," Sam Adolphsen, policy director at Foundation for Government Accountability, told Fox News last week.

Ocasio-Cortez also attacked a bipartisan relief package passed by the House on Saturday. "It is a step forward, but it is completely insufficient," she said.

Joel Griffith, a research fellow at the right-leaning Heritage Foundation, criticized Ocasio-Cortez' proposal but indicated spending should be more targeted than what the administration proposed on Thursday.

“Policy makers should not use the crisis as an opportunity to ram through multi-trillion dollar bailouts, regardless of the sector or special interest group ... Any fiscal spending should be focused on providing transparent, temporary assistance targeting those directly impacted by the coronavirus - such as employees unable to work due to precaution or illness or emergency conditions," he said in a statement provided to Fox News last week.

CEI senior fellow Ryan Young similarly told Fox News that the government should consider removing tariffs and speeding up regularly approval for coronavirus treatments. "The Fed should not be responding to a medical emergency with misguided ‘flash policy’ stimulus," he said.

Both Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Todd Young, R-Ind., have proposed sending Americans a one-time $1,000 cash payment, which some have seen as an echo of former presidential candidate Andrew Yang's push for a universal basic income (UBI).

Ocasio-Cortez warned on Tuesday that some UBI proposals could have negative economic consequences.

"BE CAREFUL with UBI proposals you see popping up. They are not all created equal, & they can have large macroeconomic, inflationary & systemic effects," she said. "Proposals should be weighed in a larger policy mix incl paymnt suspensions, jobs guarantee, unemp. expansion, paid leave,etc."

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2020, 11:27 AM
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/YaJ3fRTl.jpg

Some Democratic lawmakers are calling for student debt cancellation to be included in the next coronavirus relief package as Washington debates how to provide economic assistance to businesses and workers impacted by the pandemic.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, both of Massachusetts, called for congressional leaders to prioritize the issue, which impacts millions of Americans.

“Student loan cancellation has to be part of the next emergency funding package. @SenWarren & I are calling on Senate & House leadership to prioritize this,” Pressley, who served as a co-chair for Warren’s now-defunct presidential campaign, tweeted Tuesday.
Warren made the ever-growing student debt crisis part of her White House bid, at one point promising to wipe out roughly $1.5 trillion of debt on her first day as president.

"Student loan debt cancellation MUST be a part of the next emergency coronavirus package to deliver relief immediately to millions of families and remove a giant weight that’s dragging down our economy," Warren said in a tweet of her own Tuesday. "Senate and House progressives are in this fight all the way."
The college debt has become a defining issue for many Americans, who are saddled with years of payments that have delayed other life-changing milestones, such as starting a family or purchasing a home.

Congressional lawmakers on both sides are pushing for economic relief to lessen the financial impact of the virus. Many businesses are having to temporarily shut down and people are being advised to stay home.

The Trump administration is considering sending checks to Americans to help them cope with the economic fallout.

In New York, New York Attorney General Letitia James announced that the state will suspend the collection of student debt payments.
"In this time of crisis, I won't add undue stress or saddle NYers with unnecessary financial burden, this is the time to support residents," James tweeted.

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2020, 01:21 PM
:wtf:

No, it shouldn't.

These people are fucking idiots.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2020, 01:30 PM
I like how they are claiming that Trump is trying to use the pandemic to push an agenda, but then in the next breath, they all say that we should cancel student debt in the next relief package. They obviously don't see the irony/hypocrisy in their statements.

Griffin
03-18-2020, 01:34 PM
I have the solution to the student debt issue.... STOP GIVING LOANS!

Muddy
03-18-2020, 02:28 PM
I have the solution to the student debt issue.... STOP GIVING LOANS!

Sounds like a solid plan to me.. Maybe that will force colleges to have to reel in their outrageous life burdening tuition's and start charging a fair rate like they did even 10 years ago.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-18-2020, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a solid plan to me.. Maybe that will force colleges to have to reel in their outrageous life burdening tuition's and start charging a fair rate like they did even 10 years ago.

Exactly

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2020, 02:59 PM

:-k

Were the rates fair 10 years ago? I thought they were fair back in the 90s, but the cost of books were ridiculously expensive. I thought the rates back in the mid-2000s were a bit high, and the cost of books were even worse. I'm glad I had scholarships and grants.

Muddy
03-18-2020, 03:01 PM
:-k

Were the rates fair 10 years ago? I thought they were fair back in the 90s, but the cost of books were ridiculously expensive. I thought the rates back in the mid-2000s were a bit high, and the cost of books were even worse. I'm glad I had scholarships and grants.

Not really.. You are probably right.. I tend to forget 1980 was 40 FRIGGIN years ago.. :lol: