PDA

View Full Version : 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes near Salt Lake City

RBP
03-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Nearly 65,000 homes and businesses were without power.
Utah Emergency Management officials warned that aftershocks are 'very likely.'

A strong earthquake shook the Salt Lake City area Wednesday morning, leaving nearly 65,000 homes and businesses without power and startling many residents who were still asleep in their beds.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or major damage.

The USGS gave the quake a preliminary rating of 5.7 magnitude. It struck shortly after 7 a.m. local time.

Weak to very strong shaking was reported in areas including Logan and Provo, according to the USGS shake map, which relies on first-person accounts. Most of the reports of stronger shaking came from closer to the city. The quake was centered near Magna, Utah, about 10 miles west of Salt Lake City, at a depth of about 6 miles, according to the USGS.

"We are receiving earthquake reports from Logan to Riverton. The strongest shaking seems to have been felt around Salt Lake County," Utah Emergency Management said on Twitter. "It is very likely that you will feel aftershocks today."

Videos posted on social media showed household items shaking and travelers reported that the Salt Lake City airport was evacuated.

It was the state's strongest earthquake since 1992, accoridng to state emergency officials.

Rocky Mountain Power said that some 64,764 customers were without power about two hours after the quake struck.

"We are aware of a large power outage in the Magna area caused by seismic activity," the utility said on its website.

RBP
03-18-2020, 02:39 PM
And if you think this country hasn't lost it's goddamn mind... this is the ABC news headline.

https://i.imgur.com/oaZXZIp.jpg

Really? The important part is the hotline?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2020, 02:41 PM
And if you think this country hasn't lost it's goddamn mind... this is the ABC news headline.

https://i.imgur.com/oaZXZIp.jpg

Really? The important part is the hotline?

:facepalm:

Noilly Pratt
03-18-2020, 06:26 PM
As the quake hit I bet thousands yelled out "F off nature, we're busy having a crisis!"