PDA

View Full Version : Georgia state Democrat backs Trump for reelection, draws party’s wrath

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2020, 10:11 AM
By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/7l1Z9nAl.jpg

A state lawmaker in Georgia drew backlash from fellow Democrats on Tuesday after endorsing President Trump for reelection.

State Rep. Vernon Jones, whose Atlanta-area district includes parts of DeKalb and Rockdale counties, argued that the president’s policies have helped him and other African-Americans.

“It’s very simple to me,” Jones said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “President Trump’s handling of the economy, his support for historically black colleges and his criminal justice initiatives drew me to endorse his campaign.

“There are a lot of African-Americans who clearly see and appreciate he’s doing something that’s never been done before,” Jones added. “When you look at the unemployment rates among black Americans before the pandemic, they were at historic lows. That’s just a fact.”

But other Georgia Democrats quickly attacked Jones for his decision.

State Sen. Nikema Williams, chairwoman of the state Democratic Party, issued a statement calling Jones an “embarrassment,” adding he “does not stand for our values.”

Republicans, meanwhile, hailed the decision by Jones, who represents one of Georgia’s most populous and left-leaning districts, according to the Journal-Constitution.

“Vernon has been a Trump fan for a while,” Brandon Phillips, who headed Trump’s 2016 campaign in the state, told the newspaper. “Glad to see him putting Georgia first over party.”

Jones is facing a Democratic primary challenge from community activist Rhonda Taylor in the election scheduled for June 9.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Muddy
04-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Thank you.

DemonGeminiX
04-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Good man. Tell the party to go to hell.

Muddy
04-15-2020, 02:30 PM
The DNC is freaking out.. Another black man is escaping their plantation.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2020, 02:32 PM
They're going to throw everything they've got to make him lose his seat.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Impossible

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2020, 11:31 AM
By Jason Hopkins - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/bdaDQdnl.png

Democratic Georgia state Rep. Vernon Jones announced that he is stepping down from office, citing attacks and harassment from his party following his endorsement of President Donald Trump for re-election.

Jones shocked the Georgia political establishment when he became the first state-elected Democrat to endorse Trump earlier in April. While the move drew quick recognition and applause from the White House, Democratic leaders closer to home immediately disavowed him, and pledged to help unseat him from office.

The blowback from his party is too much, and he is stepping down from his post as the representative for Georgia’s 91st House District, Jones said.

“I’m sick and tired of me and my family being attacked and harassed by the Democrat Party for putting my country before my party,” Jones said in a statement released Wednesday, and first obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I take pride in being an independent thinker,” Jones continued in his resignation announcement. “I intend to help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative.”

Jones first endorsed Trump on April 14, citing the president’s handling of the economy, support for historically black colleges and his criminal justice reform initiatives. All of these issues, he said, drew him toward Trump’s campaign.

Jones represents the 91st House District in the Georgia General Assembly — a majority-minority district in the suburbs south of Atlanta that is overwhelmingly Democratic. Before entering the Georgia House of Representatives, Jones served as the CEO of DeKalb County, and served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 1993 to 2001.

The renegade Democrat’s endorsement was not well received by his colleagues.

“Vernon Jones is an embarrassment to the Democratic Party and does not stand for our values,” Georgia Democratic Party Chairwoman Nikema Williams said in a prepared statement. “He chose to stand with the racist president who has made an all-out assault on black Americans … during the most important election of our lifetimes.”

Immediately after Jones’s endorsement, Fair Fight — a group launched by failed gubernatorial candidate and romance novelist Stacey Abrams — announced it would support Jones’s Democratic primary challenger, Rhonda Taylor.

Jones’s announcement on Wednesday suggested that it is Trump’s likely opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, who has enacted racist policies.

“I endorsed the White guy (Donald J. Trump) that let Blacks out of jail, and they endorsed the White guy (Joe Biden) that put Blacks in jail,” he said.

While the state representative said he is stepping down from office, he is not leaving the Democratic Party, noting that he wishes to remain in order to “hold them accountable to how they are treating black people (and) root out the bigotry.”

“I will remain woke and vigilant in educating and fighting for my people,” Jones said.

Griffin
04-23-2020, 01:10 PM
:shockface:

Muddy
04-23-2020, 01:29 PM
By Jason Hopkins - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/bdaDQdnl.png

Democratic Georgia state Rep. Vernon Jones announced that he is stepping down from office, citing attacks and harassment from his party following his endorsement of President Donald Trump for re-election.

Jones shocked the Georgia political establishment when he became the first state-elected Democrat to endorse Trump earlier in April. While the move drew quick recognition and applause from the White House, Democratic leaders closer to home immediately disavowed him, and pledged to help unseat him from office.

The blowback from his party is too much, and he is stepping down from his post as the representative for Georgia’s 91st House District, Jones said.

“I’m sick and tired of me and my family being attacked and harassed by the Democrat Party for putting my country before my party,” Jones said in a statement released Wednesday, and first obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I take pride in being an independent thinker,” Jones continued in his resignation announcement. “I intend to help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative.”

Jones first endorsed Trump on April 14, citing the president’s handling of the economy, support for historically black colleges and his criminal justice reform initiatives. All of these issues, he said, drew him toward Trump’s campaign.

Jones represents the 91st House District in the Georgia General Assembly — a majority-minority district in the suburbs south of Atlanta that is overwhelmingly Democratic. Before entering the Georgia House of Representatives, Jones served as the CEO of DeKalb County, and served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 1993 to 2001.

The renegade Democrat’s endorsement was not well received by his colleagues.

“Vernon Jones is an embarrassment to the Democratic Party and does not stand for our values,” Georgia Democratic Party Chairwoman Nikema Williams said in a prepared statement. “He chose to stand with the racist president who has made an all-out assault on black Americans … during the most important election of our lifetimes.”

Immediately after Jones’s endorsement, Fair Fight — a group launched by failed gubernatorial candidate and romance novelist Stacey Abrams — announced it would support Jones’s Democratic primary challenger, Rhonda Taylor.

Jones’s announcement on Wednesday suggested that it is Trump’s likely opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, who has enacted racist policies.

“I endorsed the White guy (Donald J. Trump) that let Blacks out of jail, and they endorsed the White guy (Joe Biden) that put Blacks in jail,” he said.

While the state representative said he is stepping down from office, he is not leaving the Democratic Party, noting that he wishes to remain in order to “hold them accountable to how they are treating black people (and) root out the bigotry.”

“I will remain woke and vigilant in educating and fighting for my people,” Jones said.

And here is your tolerant Left at work.

DemonGeminiX
04-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Just switch parties. It's not like that's never happened before.

Muddy
04-23-2020, 03:47 PM

This dudes probably getting death threats and is afraid to.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-23-2020, 03:58 PM
I have an opinion....GTFO

Pony
04-23-2020, 07:36 PM

Can he do that while remaining in his position?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Can he do that while remaining in his position?

Absolutely, nothing says that you have to remain with the party you ran under while you're in office.

Pony
04-23-2020, 10:54 PM
Absolutely, nothing says that you have to remain with the party you ran under while you're in office.

He absolutely should then. He will quickly see how open and welcoming the "racist" and "intolerant" party really is.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 11:19 AM
By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

On Wednesday, Democrat State Rep. Vernon Jones of Georgia said he would be resigning from his post effective April 22 after allegedly receiving attacks and harassment from fellow Democrats for publicly endorsing President Donald Trump, a Republican, in his 2020 reelection bid.

However, by Thursday, Rep. Jones said that a swell of support made him change his tune, telling the public he will not be “bullied” into resignation by the Left.

“Yesterday, I announced my intentions to resign from my office,” he wrote, captioning a video posted to Twitter. “But shortly thereafter, the outpour of support I received was too great for me to ignore. I will not allow the Democrats to bully me into submission. I will not let them win. I will NOT resign. #[Make America Great Again].”

“Recently, I endorsed Donald J. Trump for his campaign reelection,” Jones said in the video. “But little did I know that I would receive such a barrage of attacks and name calling by the far-Left and the Democratic Party.”

“And yesterday, I had announced that I would not be completing my term, but then, when I started receiving the overwhelming amount of support and outcry from the people that I represent … every walk of life, every age, every color, every party. That was emotional, that was motivational,” he continued.

“I thought about it, and I talked to my family, and I talked to my supporters, because what you did for me, I’m gonna remain on the battlefield,” the Georgia Democrat added. “I’m going to complete my term, I’m gonna continue to put my country before my party, and I’m gonna do everything I can to help Donald J. Trump get elected because he’s the man for this job, he’s the man for this office.”

As noted by The Daily Wire, Jones announced his plan resignation on Wednesday and heavily criticized the Democratic Party in a statement to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“I’m sick and tired of me and my family being attacked and harassed by the Democrat Party for putting my country before my party,” the state representative said. “I take pride in being an independent thinker. I intend to help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative.”

“Turn the lights off, I have left the plantation,” Jones continued. “Someone else can occupy that suite. Therefore, I intend not to complete my term effective April 22, 2020.”

The representative really turned heads last week when he endorsed Trump, noting the president’s handling of the economy and issues impacting black Americans.

“It’s very simple to me,” Jones detailed to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “President Trump’s handling of the economy, his support for historically black colleges, and his criminal justice initiatives drew me to endorse his campaign.”

“This is not about switching parties. There are a lot of African-Americans who clearly see and appreciate he’s doing something that’s never been done before,” he added. “When you look at the unemployment rates among black Americans before the pandemic, they were at historic lows. That’s just a fact.”

WATCH:

Muddy
04-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Yes sir..!! Good for you..!